Bombers mini camp in Wpg Apr 25-27 open to public

30 min. afternoon pop-in point form summary:

If your surname is Davis, I was impressed.

Willy looks like Willy.  Solid and consistent.

Lochard handles the screens very well.  Not much of a drop-off from Harris there.

Had 8 kids helping out with blocking against the offence.  Probably all Bison players.  One of them looked like he could use a fuzz remover to shave.

Chris Randle helped out on a few drills.

Lapolice really drilled the receivers on blocking fundamentals during the group portion.

I doubt I'll ever be sold on Nichols, but I understand why he is received with such enthusiasm by others.

Kone and Richards watched.  Richards appears to have had an offseason haircut.  KBF will be alarmed.

Feoli-Gudino had the only drop that I saw.

Darvin, Dressler and R. Smith all demonstrated that they are vets/incumbents for a reason.

3 minutes ago, mbrg said:

30 min. afternoon pop-in point form summary:

If your surname is Davis, I was impressed.

Willy looks like Willy.  Solid and consistent.

Lochard handles the screens very well.  Not much of a drop-off from Harris there.

Had 8 kids helping out with blocking against the offence.  Probably all Bison players.  One of them looked like he could use a fuzz remover to shave.

Chris Randle helped out on a few drills.

Lapolice really drilled the receivers on blocking fundamentals during the group portion.

I doubt I'll ever be sold on Nichols, but I understand why he is received with such enthusiasm by others.

Kone and Richards watched.  Richards appears to have had an offseason haircut.  KBF will be alarmed.

Feoli-Gudino had the only drop that I saw.

Darvin, Dressler and R. Smith all demonstrated that they are vets/incumbents for a reason.

... or devastated? ;)

According to my untrained eye...

D Davis was the most accurate passer today.

Dressler is still as fast as I've ever seen him.

Veltung is swift and smooth, I could see him as a dangerous YAC receiver.

Was great to see LaPo putting emphasis on blocking drills; maybe we'll gain positive yards on a screen pass some time this season!

It was cold in the shade of  the stadium. A coffee and hot chocolate vendor would have made a killing this afternoon.

28 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Was great to see LaPo putting emphasis on blocking drills; maybe we'll gain positive yards on a screen pass some time this season!

It was cold in the shade of  the stadium. A coffee and hot chocolate vendor would have made a killing this afternoon.

Definitely, and he also seemed to have the highest velocity on his passes.

2 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

This morning too... I know I woulda bought a coffee!

More mini camp news from:

Bomber Buzz - https://bomberbuzz.com/2016/04/25/blue-review-day-one-of-mini-camp/

1. The first thing that stuck out to me was the actions of newly-hired offensive coordinator Paul Lapolice – everyone in the stadium could hear him coaching.....The Bombers were up-tempo all practice, maximizing the short amount of practice time.

2. The Bombers had installed a handful of basic plays – no more than seven -which they ran through today as a unit after some quick individual work. It was all three-step, short route combinations, for the most part, as well as some reverse and ghost-motion misdirection runs, and basic zone runs. The quarterbacks and receivers worked a lot on bubble screens in individual time as well as in team, which Lapolice could be rely on this season, similarly to the Eskimos in 2015. The quarterbacks were getting the ball out their hand early today.

3. Back under center after recovering from a season-ending knee injury, Drew Willy didn’t have his best day throwing the football, at least in the second session.....Willy’s knee is 100% healed up, and it’s exciting to see no. 5 back at the controls.

4. Even though arm strength/accuracy is only one piece of the puzzle, it’s always interesting to compare the quarterback’s arms to each-other. Last training camp, it was Robert Marve who clearly had the strongest arm, followed by Jordan Yantz, Josh Portis, Willy and then Brian Brohm. Who throws the best ball out of this year’s signal-callers? Dominique Davis, Brian Bennett/Drew Willy, Matt Nichols.

5. Former Baylor receiver Ernest Smith, who was signed last week, worked with the “starters” today at the Y-position, formerly occupied by Julian Feoli-Gudino.

6. It’s quite possible that Smith was moved into a role with group one as a result of Jerrell Jernigan being a no-show. According to Ed Tait, Jernigan (5’9″, 189-lbs) did touch down in Winnipeg but had to return home for family reasons.

7. Weston Dressler received the majority of snaps at boundary wide-receiver, as Darvin Adams moved into Clarence Denmark’s vacated slot-back position. Ryan Smith was in Nick Moore’s boundary slot position – looking explosive there, too – and Rory Kohlert was at his regular position at field-side wide receiver. Second-year player Spencer Davis lined up at boundary slot-back on the second-team, with Quincy McDuffie, Ricky Collins and Julian Talley in the slot, and Kris Bastien out wide. On the third team, Larry Pinkard manned the boundary at wideout, while Julian Feoli-Gudino, Jhomo Gordon and Soloman Patton worked the slot, with Justin Veltung out a field-side wide receiver. Take all this with a grain of salt, as it’s only the first day of mini-camp, and there’ll be many changes to the groupings by as early as tomorrow.

8. The club seems serious about starting Patrick Neufeld at right tackle this season. And while I feel as though the club should exhaust all their American rookie at right tackle as well, I am not against the idea of Neufeld playing there. Although he’s about a middle-tier right tackle at his best – and a below-average player at guard – that is a significant upgrade over Jace Daniels and Selvish Capers. Daniels, who is still recovering from off-season ankle surgery, will compete at left guard should Neufeld remain a book-end. Lawrence Martin took the first-team reps at left guard today, while Manse Foketi worked with the two’s.