Bombers mini camp in Wpg Apr 25-27 open to public

10 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Is Bauming just speculating these changes, or does he have some inside knowledge?... he also commented on twitter that the team sees Waggoner as a LB and not the replacement at safety...

EDIT: Bombers website lists Waggoner as a DB... not sure if that means anything, just an observation... 

Edited by bearpants

13 hours ago, bearpants said:

Is Bauming just speculating these changes, or does he have some inside knowledge?... he also commented on twitter that the team sees Waggoner as a LB and not the replacement at safety...

EDIT: Bombers website lists Waggoner as a DB... not sure if that means anything, just an observation... 

From Wiecek's report of the fan forum that was held on Wednesday:

Bombers head coach Mike O’Shea says Chris Randle is expected to be fully healed after last season’s knee surgery and will head back to his traditional position at cornerback after an experiment at strong-side linebacker last season. Maurice Leggett, who took over at SAM after Randle got hurt, will remain in that position this season, O’Shea said.

Edited by Jacquie

mini camp schedule released;

http://www.bluebombers.com/media-schedule/

MEDIA SCHEDULE

WINNIPEG, MB – The following is the Winnipeg Blue Bombers offensive mini-camp media schedule for April 25-27, 2016. All practices will be held at Investors Group Field. A full roster/depth chart will be distributed to media upon arrival on Monday.

Monday, April 25

Practice: 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.

Cameras can record practice from 10:00 a.m. – 10:20 a.m.

Practice: 1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.

Cameras can record practice from 1:30 p.m. – 1:50 p.m.

Players will be available on the field following the second practice.

Head Coach Mike O’Shea will be available in the Press Room following players availability.

Tuesday, April 26 

Practice: 10:15 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.

Cameras can record practice from 10:15 a.m. – 10:35 a.m.

Practice: 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.

Cameras can record practice from 12:30 p.m. – 12:50 p.m.

Players will be available on the field following practice

Head Coach Mike O’Shea will be available in the Press Room following players availability

Wednesday, April 27

Practice: 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.

Cameras can record practice from 10:00 a.m. – 10:20 a.m.
Players will be available on the field following practice

Head Coach Mike O’Shea will be available in the Press Room following players availability

On 2016-04-14 at 8:18 AM, Atomic said:

They're not going to stick Johnny Adams at wide side corner, that would be a waste.  I imagine he will probably be playing weakside halfback.

I wonder if that's where Randle is going? Coming off a major knee injury that might be easier for him.

I also find it weird we only have 3 rbs on the roster right now. I assume they'll sign more, but we're getting pretty close to camp already.

51 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I wonder if that's where Randle is going? Coming off a major knee injury that might be easier for him.

I also find it weird we only have 3 rbs on the roster right now. I assume they'll sign more, but we're getting pretty close to camp already.

Yeah not sure why someone would suggest they're going to move our best DB to another postion for a guy who was hurt most of the year? Put randle on wide side, with Johnny staying put. 

57 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah not sure why someone would suggest they're going to move our best DB to another postion for a guy who was hurt most of the year? Put randle on wide side, with Johnny staying put. 

Well the idea is that the half back spot is more key in a defense than corner is so you're basically moving your best DB to a more important position on the field. Regardless of Randle moving back to CB or not I would have suggested trying Adams in the spot vacated by Washington anyway. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Well the idea is that the half back spot is more key in a defense than corner is so you're basically moving your best DB to a more important position on the field. Regardless of Randle moving back to CB or not I would have suggested trying Adams in the spot vacated by Washington anyway. 

Fair enough, I'd personally like him to stick to the outside, he's a lock down DB there, leaving more options to double team inside if needed.

16 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Fair enough, I'd personally like him to stick to the outside, he's a lock down DB there, leaving more options to double team inside if needed.

Well one of the things the Bombers did well last year was having a good duo on one side in Washington and Adams, we know how good Randle was in that CB spot the prior year so if Adams can move into the middle you get another good duo on one side of the field. It just makes complete sense to me. The other side of the field is where you hide your weak CB so throw the token Canadian over there and use the roster flexibility somewhere. Why have a good corner back in a nothing position?

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Well one of the things the Bombers did well last year was having a good duo on one side in Washington and Adams, we know how good Randle was in that CB spot the prior year so if Adams can move into the middle you get another good duo on one side of the field. It just makes complete sense to me. The other side of the field is where you hide your weak CB so throw the token Canadian over there and use the roster flexibility somewhere. Why have a good corner back in a nothing position?

Good points, but if you can take away the outside Recs, You can really dictate what the offence can do and put a lot of pressure on the slots. But same can be said for locking down one side of the field. Though there is no way of knowing if Adams would be as good of a HB as he is a CB. I think Randle might be the better candidate for the HB spot as he played well in the Sam position which is similar. But how has he recovered from the injury? It'll be interesting to see what we do for sure.  

"The Bombers also already have some promising candidates to play boundary halfback in Louisville’s Johnny Patrick – seriously, keep an eye on this guy in training camp – and Ohio’s Julian Posey, who looked more than serviceable in his week 20 start against Toronto."

"Former Detroit Lion Jonte Green is a natural corner, but could be better suited to play safety in the CFL with his tackling skills and ability keep the action in front of him and react in zone."

https://bomberbuzz.com/2016/04/18/additions-in-secondary-cement-leggett-as-bombers-best-option-at-sam-linebacker/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

21 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Good points, but if you can take away the outside Recs, You can really dictate what the offence can do and put a lot of pressure on the slots. But same can be said for locking down one side of the field. Though there is no way of knowing if Adams would be as good of a HB as he is a CB. I think Randle might be the better candidate for the HB spot as he played well in the Sam position which is similar. But how has he recovered from the injury? It'll be interesting to see what we do for sure.  

I dunno, I think I'd rather force a team outside than inside. 

12 minutes ago, IC Khari said:

Must want too much, thought he was very serviceable for his age  ...

Lost in the shuffle to upgrade Natl. talent, I doubt it had anything to do with his salary expectations.  Hopefully Lochard can contribute in some meaningful way as backup to Harris or on  teams.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

On 4/21/2016 at 2:21 PM, 17to85 said:

I dunno, I think I'd rather force a team outside than inside. 

That's the way I was taught. Never give up inside position, always force them outside.

I'm not sure why they'd move Adams.  The boundary corner spot requires a pretty solid skill set for a DB.  You need a guy who can play the ball/make the tackle under 10 on pretty much the entire route tree, and be able to do that with minimal support on most downs, not much margin for error.  There aren't many guys who do it well.  If you have one, why play around? 

The only more important spot is SAM for pretty much the same reasons with an added layer of intelligence required.

On 4/21/2016 at 10:31 AM, Bigblue204 said:

Not too worried about how they align the DB's as they have a number of good options available.  I'm more interested in how they are going to get Wild, Bass and Leggett on the field at the same time for the majority of plays.  I've heard O'Shea explain and defend Hurl at least half a dozen times so I understand his role is mainly to "plug holes" so the other LB's are free to cover or track down the ball carrier. 

Even if they could manipulate the ratio to get Wild on the field it would be a waste of talent to play him in this "plug" role.  Hopefully O'Shea and Hall have spent the off-season coming up with an alternative D scheme which works to the strength of the available personnel.  With improved D-line play they may be able to move away from this scheme and leave both Wild and Bass free to play to their strengths and keep Hurl around as a rotational player and backup in case of injury.  I won't be surprised if Hurl is named captain of the special teams to replace Pontbriand.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

one more sleep till mini camp! whoooo! Wouldnt might seeing wagoneer step up and take starting safety.

Bauming thinks they see him as a lb and not a safety. Guess we will have to keep an eye on Waggoner at camp to see if he's slimmed down a bit. If so perhaps Bauming is wrong and he is a safety candidate 

Interesting to note tho that he's listed as a dB on the teams roster page. 

Edited by Goalie

Just now, Goalie said:

Bauming thinks they see him as a lb and not a safety. Guess we will have to keep an eye on Waggoner at camp to see if he's slimmed down a bit. If so perhaps Bauming is wrong and he is a safety candidate 

Yeah but tbh i dont put much value in our citys sports reporters pre regular season. Every single one of em is too busy eating donuts talking and playing on their phones to actually notice any thing going on. Waggoner was a saftey in the US, bc was gonna sign him to play it i dont think he has to change any thing. Now if he has what it takes or not is some thing very different. Idk why we are moving any one to LBer though, seems like the strength of our D atm.

4 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Not too worried about how they align the DB's as they have a number of good options available.  I'm more interested in how they are going to get Wild, Bass and Leggett on the field at the same time for the majority of plays.  I've heard O'Shea explain and defend Hurl at least half a dozen times so I understand his role is mainly to "plug holes" so the other LB's are free to cover or track down the ball carrier. 

Even if they could manipulate the ratio to get Wild on the field it would be a waste of talent to play him in this "plug" role.  Hopefully O'Shea and Hall have spent the off-season coming up with an alternative D scheme which works to the strength of the available personnel.  With improved D-line play they may be able to move away from this scheme and leave both Wild and Bass free to play to their strengths and keep Hurl around as a rotational player and backup in case of injury.  I won't be surprised if Hurl is named captain of the special teams to replace Pontbriand.

Go 7 NIs (Westerman/Shologon/Chung/Gossen/Kolhert/Harris/Neufeld) and you can play Wild, Bass, Leggett at LB.