Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

Winnipeg Blue Bombers Add Defensive Back

WINNIPEG, MB., May 17, 2016 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed International defensive back Donald Celiscar.

Celiscar (5-11, 195, Western Michigan, October 14, 1991 in Haiti) played four seasons at WMU where he picked up 221 tackles. His interception total increased each season and he finished his collegiate career with ten. As a senior in 2014, Celiscar earned First Team All-MAC honours. He signed with the Indianapolis Colts after going undrafted in 2015.

I did read that info on the Rider's site and was repulsed. Not so much that Denmark had to sign this contract to keep playing, but the fact that Jones revels in this sort of thing and that the fanbase is rolling in it.  Apropos. The contract, if accurate, sucks. The revelation sucks. What else did I expect?

I don't know why people are upset or even surprised. Everyone knew that Denmark was going to have to take a significant pay cut to keep playing. If he was willing to do that with us, everyone would be rightly saying what a great job Walters did. The Riders made the best offer or else Denmark would have signed elsewhere. That contract is what he was worth on the open market.

3 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

Guess I'm a glass half full guy....you?

I have no idea how full your glass is.

My point is simply that incentive based contracts do sound like the ideal solution for GMs but may not always produce the ideal outcome.

I do think this is a good deal for Riders.

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I don't know why people are upset or even surprised. Everyone knew that Denmark was going to have to take a significant pay cut to keep playing. If he was willing to do that with us, everyone would be rightly saying what a great job Walters did. The Riders made the best offer or else Denmark would have signed elsewhere. That contract is what he was worth on the open market.

Yea maybe probably I don't know.

Bigger picture though for me is Jones and his approach in how he does things, from coaching, to management, to players, to fans, to media etc.

Time will tell obviously but, with all the respect I can muster, not a guy I want anywhere near my Bombers.  

Yea I know, for some 'who cares. as a long as he's a winner'. Whatever, you can have him.    

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

The only surprise is that anyone would believe this.

It's called the sniff test.

Statement:  Denmark's current market value has dropped down to only $8000 more than the CFL rookie minimum.

Does this really pass anyone's sniff test?

Seems completely flatulent to me.

Edited by mbrg

Walter's uncertainty about Cap control and incentive based contracts? Only one player will lead the team in any one category, be it TDs , rushing yardage, tackles, INTs, ST tackles...you name it.  Based on historical stats you can accurately predict how many 1,000 yds receivers you are likely to have in a season as well as TDs thrown....etc etc.  There are countless predicable stats you can use to base incentives on.....or you can just give guys like Moore a bucket full of cash to play bits and pieces of a season. 

http://www.bluebombers.com/2016/05/17/bombers-add-two-defensive-linemen/

WINNIPEG, MB., May 17, 2016 –  The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed International defensive linemen Padric Scott and Sam Scott.

P. Scott (6-0, 300, Florida A &M, January 8, 1990 in Tallahasse, FL) has spent the past two seasons with the Philadelphia Soul of the AFL. Scott played in 38 games and was a three-year starter at Florida A&M, after transferring from Stanford in 2008. He totaled 76 tackles, 14 tackles for loss, eight sacks, two forced fumbles, and one fumble recovery through his collegiate career. Following his career at Florida A &M, Scott signed as an undrafted free agent with the Arizona Cardinals in 2014.

S. Scott (6-5, 245, West Chester, June 23, 1987 in Bear, DE) led the PSAC in tackles for a loss in his senior year, making 16.5 stops in the backfield. He also led his Golden Rams with 7.5 sacks that season. Scott has appeared in 13 CFL games since 2011, most recently with the Ti-Cats, and has registered 31 tackles and two sacks.