Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

9 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Trying to be conciliatory... Dude, you keep saying Dressler's not a number one receiver when clearly he is & with Ryan Smith gone I can't see how the Riders will pick up the slack with Denmark & Bagg as their only experienced receivers. That duo scares no one. Bagg is one knee shot away from retirement. You have no number one receiver now. I expect to see Darian Durant counting clouds from his back a lot this season'

Who isn't one knee shot away from retirement?  I imagine John Chiles will emerge as the number receiver with Roosevelt. Denmark and Bagg will be 3 and 4. TBH I'm really sure how excited I am about either. But if DD is healthy it will work. The focus and biggest area where improvement will be seen is on the defensive side of the ball and that I am excited about.

10 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Agreed on both counts. I've posted here before that I don't mind Bucknor either. Hurl can play here and there and not hurt you. I'd be concerned if he becomes a long term option due to injury.

Hurl is the long term option as he started every game, more as a plugger than a true linebacker.

Just now, iso_55 said:

Hurl is the long term option as he started every game, more as a plugger than a true linebacker.

Plugger?  A guy who kind of gets in the way if you run right at him?  Sounds about right. Don't take this as a shot but he started all your games because your Canadian talent last year was that bad

1 minute ago, Ripper said:

Who isn't one knee shot away from retirement?  I imagine John Chiles will emerge as the number receiver with Roosevelt. Denmark and Bagg will be 3 and 4. TBH I'm really sure how excited I am about either. But if DD is healthy it will work. The focus and biggest area where improvement will be seen is on the defensive side of the ball and that I am excited about.

Bagg has had so many knee problems that he can be suddenly gone at any time coming down the wrong way on his knee or from a blow delivered on a tackle. I give the guy credit for coming back but with all knee injuries he's had he's playing on borrowed time.  If he goes out, that'll be a huge loss for the Riders.

1 minute ago, Ripper said:

Plugger?  A guy who kind of gets in the way if you run right at him?  Sounds about right. Don't take this as a shot but he started all your games because your Canadian talent last year was that bad

He played about 2 yards off the LOS right behind the DL mostly on the left side & seemed to be there to turn the play the other way like a plugger plays in bantam. Often times, he couldn't make a play because he was caught up in the wash at the LOS as he never had enough depth...

1 minute ago, iso_55 said:

Bagg has had so many knee problems that he can be suddenly gone at any time coming down the wrong way on his knee or from a blow delivered on a tackle. I give the guy credit for coming back but with all knee injuries he's had he's playing on borrowed time.  If he goes out, that'll be a huge loss for the Riders.

Sadly, I'm afraid his next injury will be his last. If any of you have ever met him it is remarkable what kind of shape he is in. He is a carved piece of granite. Demski is going to be pushing for a starting job this year and that helps a lot if Bagg does go down.

4 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Riders are most likely going to be starting Graig Newman at safety so there is that.

It will likely be Matt Webster, he saw time there last year. Newman may get his chance in there too I suspect.

7 hours ago, Ripper said:

I never ever said Waggoner wasn't talented or didn't have potential. My point was he is a rookie. Demski showed spurts of being a hell of a player, but made some bone head rookie mistakes at times to, its a process. There's no point making this a ten page argument. My point is having a American kicker has implications to roster, same as a Canadian running back. Juggling will need to happen if injuries occur. Myself personally, I like the team to just start 7 and have good depth for all 7. If you guys disagree and feel what you have in place is more than good enough than fine. I see you with 7 starters and nothing behind that.  I'm not here to change your mind. Its a discussion about football, people don't always agree. Guess we'll see how the season unfolds

....?!?!?! except hes NOT A ROOKIE.  he played every game was in on tackles on both ST and defensive side of the ball.   hes not a seasoned vet but one year thru camp and a full season a rookie does not make.   focus buddy, focus

2 hours ago, Jimmy Pop said:

I'm going to go out on the limb here and say if he was still a Rider, you'd have never made this comment.  It just drips with so much BS my monitor turned brown.

...because, you know. It's not like 1100 yds & 7 TDs avg per season FOR SIX CONSECUTIVE SEASONS is #1 receiver quality.

Christ, Rider fans wonder why they're mocked nationwide.

EXHIBIT A. ^^^^^^^

hahaha nope., those are not number 1 stats at all.  bahaha. smfh.

7 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Exactly. There is going to be a couple very lean years in Regina. Until they rebuild their Canadian depth. There are right where we were a couple years ago.

I can see where you would say that. I sort of see ours NI's about the same as yours.  OL Riders have a lot more experienced Vets there with Labatte, Clark, Best.  DL, Bombers are solid with Shologan to anchor the line, sorry but Westerman is still a little bit of a loose cannon and hasn't shown himself to be a leader yet, however Westerman is a terror out there and will only get better.  Bagg is a solid vet Canadian receiver for us much like how Kolhert is becoming for you.  I don't know man its fairly close. Not sure I'd say it a big advantage either way

14 hours ago, Ripper said:

I can see where you would say that. I sort of see ours NI's about the same as yours.  OL Riders have a lot more experienced Vets there with Labatte, Clark, Best.  DL, Bombers are solid with Shologan to anchor the line, sorry but Westerman is still a little bit of a loose cannon and hasn't shown himself to be a leader yet, however Westerman is a terror out there and will only get better.  Bagg is a solid vet Canadian receiver for us much like how Kolhert is becoming for you.  I don't know man its fairly close. Not sure I'd say it a big advantage either way

Not that I really understand what this comment has to do with anything to begin with, but it's also incredibly inaccurate. Westerman plays on the edge. Good. He's also 100% one of the leaders of our defense, along with Wild and Randle.

Anyone questioning Westermans ability and contribution to the Bombers obviously did not watch many Bomber games last year...The guy is a force...but what else could we expect from a rider fan...I think the take about Westerman being a 'loose cannon' is laughable...Riders would ****** this guy up in a moment...what a poor comment.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Not that I really understand what this comment has to do with anything to begin with, but it's also incredibly inaccurate. Westerman plays on the edge. Good. He's also 100% one of the leaders of our defense, along with Wild and Randle.

Yea I saw this last night and I couldn't even dignify it with a response.  Since he joined the team he stepped up as a leader on our squad and I think he was very good at it.  Locker room and side line leadership, not like Doug Brown's stoic quiet lead by example but grab the bull by the horns type..

silly rival fans.

1 hour ago, SPuDS said:

Yea I saw this last night and I couldn't even dignify it with a response.  Since he joined the team he stepped up as a leader on our squad and I think he was very good at it.  Locker room and side line leadership, not like Doug Brown's stoic quiet lead by example but grab the bull by the horns type..

silly rival fans.

And he's active with fans, reaching out and meeting them. Autographs, Twitter, etc.

I'm bias to defensive players, but I really, really (possibly love?) Westerman.

50 minutes ago, JCon said:

And he's active with fans, reaching out and meeting them. Autographs, Twitter, etc.

I'm bias to defensive players, but I really, really (possibly love?) Westerman.

me too man, me too.  I'm blown away what kind of player and personality he is and that he willingly came to winnipeg.  So glad we landed him and hope he wants to be here for as long as he can.