Around The League Off Season Discussion

Noeller

6 hours ago, Bomberfan85 said:

Rod is the absolute worst. What garbage. I love how he's not even just jokingly assuming the Riders will win the Labour Day game. The way he spins some of the things Denmark says to shine a worse light on the Bombers is just pathetic. 

I think Dressler & Smith will have more to say about the LDS game in Regina than Denmark will. How stupid was it for the Riders to let them go for "budgetary" reasons? Yeah sure, picking up Denmark cancels those 2 out. Rod is a frigging idiot & douchebag. Remember this was the guy who stuck up for Rider fans throwing beer cans at BC Lions players & the drunk Rider fans who attacked a Calgary Poice Officer in the stands at McMahon Stadium a few years ago.

14 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Ah, I see you're finished with Medlock and moving onto Waggoner. Well, set your mind at ease. Waggoner is in good hands and his position on the team is solid. Waggoner is a gifted athlete, trained to play American football. When he turns the corner, in the CFL, you won't be asking about him any further.

Walters on Waggoner:

When Walters made the call to give up a 2016 first round draft pick last year for the services of Garrett Waggoner, the plan wasn’t to finish eighth in the league and lose the second overall pick. Still, the Bombers’ GM said Waggoner is off to a good start in his career and there are no regrets over the decision.

“For sure, when you look back at Garrett last year at his productivity vs. the other first round picks, I think he’s on point,” said Walters.

A 25-year-old Dartmouth graduate standing 6-foot-1, 225 pounds, Waggoner logged seven special teams tackles and one defensive tackle while getting his feet wet during his rookie season last year. The thinking is if Waggoner were in this year’s draft, he’d likely still be highly-touted.

“If Garrett was in the draft this year? Yeah, he’d be in the talk as a first-round pick,” said Walters.

“If you add him as the 10th guy in the first round, he played every game and with the exception of Nic Demski and Sukh Chungh he was the next most productive first round draft pick last year.”

I never ever said Waggoner wasn't talented or didn't have potential. My point was he is a rookie. Demski showed spurts of being a hell of a player, but made some bone head rookie mistakes at times to, its a process. There's no point making this a ten page argument. My point is having a American kicker has implications to roster, same as a Canadian running back. Juggling will need to happen if injuries occur. Myself personally, I like the team to just start 7 and have good depth for all 7. If you guys disagree and feel what you have in place is more than good enough than fine. I see you with 7 starters and nothing behind that.  I'm not here to change your mind. Its a discussion about football, people don't always agree. Guess we'll see how the season unfolds

As far as problems go in the overall scheme of things, our Canadian depth is literally the least of my worries.

We'll be starting 3 NI OL, Harris, Shologan, Westerman and Kohlert - that leaves us Hurl, Bucknor, Thomas and Waggoner as what I'd call flexible depth on the defensive side of the ball and our OL would be in alright shape if we have to trot Jeff Keeping out there as well. Add in guys like Corney, Derek Jones, Loffler to take some defensive snaps as well and I feel pretty happy about the Canadian contingent on our team.

But I suppose I don't blame you for suggesting we don't play an American kicker - we're a playoff team more times than not with Medlock doing our placekicking last year.

14 hours ago, iso_55 said:

I think Dressler & Smith will have more to say about the LDS game in Regina than Denmark will. How stupid was it for the Riders to let them go for "budgetary" reasons? Yeah sure, picking up Denmark cancels those 2 out. Rod is a frigging idiot & douchebag. Remember this was the guy who stuck up for Rider fans throwing beer cans at BC Lions players & the drunk Rider fans who attacked a Calgary Poice Officer in the stands at McMahon Stadium a few years ago.

Smith was a free agent, so he wasn't let go. He has had concussions and was looking for a good raise. The team didn't see him worth what he wanted, pretty simple. If he stays healthy, he can make plays. Dressler's contract was ridiculous, so lets not even pretend there was any way to clean that mess up without getting rid of him. Seems lots of Bomber fans want to play the player scorned angle with the Dressler situation, I guess it helps you guys feel better about it.  As far as drunkin fans, lots of them wearing bomber jerseys too and every other team in CFL also. The fact that we simply have more fans than anyone else always makes us a target. We have had beer cans thrown at us more than once in Calgary by Stamps fans. Chicken shits hiding a deck above us too scared to come down and do it to our faces. The Calgary police regularly throw the Rider fans out for no reason at all, there have been issues there many times. I'm not defending what idiot fans do. Myself and my wife have been to Winnipeg more than once and usually its always good. We wear our jerseys and cheer for our team. People that go looking for trouble usually find it, and we don't.  

34 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I never ever said Waggoner wasn't talented or didn't have potential. My point was he is a rookie. Demski showed spurts of being a hell of a player, but made some bone head rookie mistakes at times to, its a process. There's no point making this a ten page argument. My point is having a American kicker has implications to roster, same as a Canadian running back. Juggling will need to happen if injuries occur. Myself personally, I like the team to just start 7 and have good depth for all 7. If you guys disagree and feel what you have in place is more than good enough than fine. I see you with 7 starters and nothing behind that.  I'm not here to change your mind. Its a discussion about football, people don't always agree. Guess we'll see how the season unfolds

We do have solid depth now, that's what we are saying. Just cause you don't see it, doesn't mean it's not there. It might not be starter for starter depth...but what team has that for all 7 NIs? 

16 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Seriously, do they teach reading comprehension in Saskatchewan? I named 7 starters and three additional players who have started. I then mentioned a rookie and a second year NI. We likely don't use rookies to manage it.

What do the Riders do when Bagg, Best or Chambers gets hurt? All three have injury issues.

They will suck, then again they'll suck even if those guys play ;)

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

That's rich.

2 hours ago, Ripper said:

There is always a bit of juggling to the roster when injuries occur for us, for the Riders, for any team.   I don't grasp how this something that should be more of a concern for us than for any other team.  What sometimes sets teams apart is the versatility of their depth.  

4 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

There is always a bit of juggling to the roster when injuries occur for us, for the Riders, for any team.   I don't grasp how this something that should be more of a concern for us than for any other team.  What sometimes sets teams apart is the versatility of their depth.  

Yes but we might have to use inexperience people to replace those who get hurt. <sarcasm>  Unless we have starting quality back ups for each one of our positions, we need to be worried!!!

Seems lots of Bomber fans want to play the player scorned angle with the Dressler situation, I guess it helps you guys feel better about it. 

Not nearly as much as Rider fans are parroting the "contract-demands-were-unreasonable-unworkable" angle. 

Bejeebs, Dressler was everything Roughrider..and now he's a Bomber. That's got to be more irritating than putting freshly cut watermelon on ones head.

3 hours ago, Ripper said:

Smith was a free agent, so he wasn't let go. He has had concussions and was looking for a good raise. The team didn't see him worth what he wanted, pretty simple. If he stays healthy, he can make plays. Dressler's contract was ridiculous, so lets not even pretend there was any way to clean that mess up without getting rid of him. Seems lots of Bomber fans want to play the player scorned angle with the Dressler situation, I guess it helps you guys feel better about it.  As far as drunkin fans, lots of them wearing bomber jerseys too and every other team in CFL also. The fact that we simply have more fans than anyone else always makes us a target. We have had beer cans thrown at us more than once in Calgary by Stamps fans. Chicken shits hiding a deck above us too scared to come down and do it to our faces. The Calgary police regularly throw the Rider fans out for no reason at all, there have been issues there many times. I'm not defending what idiot fans do. Myself and my wife have been to Winnipeg more than once and usually its always good. We wear our jerseys and cheer for our team. People that go looking for trouble usually find it, and we don't.  

tumblr_lhr7agTa2G1qbqtsf.gif

Edited by IC Khari

54 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Not nearly as much as Rider fans are parroting the "contract-demands-were-unreasonable-unworkable" angle. 

Bejeebs, Dressler was everything Roughrider..and now he's a Bomber. That's got to be more irritating than putting freshly cut watermelon on ones head.

Chick is the one I'm disappointed about. He only has a year or so left, would have been nice for him to finish it in green. Dressler won't be missed by this fan. Obviously I always thought he was good, but he has never been a number one receiver in my mind, therefore doesn't deserve to paid as such. I'm not one of those fans that gets overly attached to the players, they come and go. The world isn't coming to a end because Dressler isn't here and it will have no effect on how our season unfolds

1 hour ago, TrueBlue said:

You are 100% right about that.

3 hours ago, Ripper said:

I've been to 4 games at Mosaic Stadium over the years & on 2 occasions I've been hassled. One time I had  a beer poured on me as I was entering the tunnel when we were leaving the game. My guilt? Wearing a Bomber cap. Another time back in 1974, the Bombers won on the last play of the game with a Don Jonas field goal. A drunk Rider fan furious his team lost broke the whiskey bottle he had & pointed the broken neck shard at me threatening to stab me.

Drunken Rider fans at McMahon Stadium have been a huge problem. So bad that there are no longer weekend games with the Riders anymore so that security, police & Stamps fans don't have to deal with large groups of unruly behaviour. From Rider fans streaking on the field during a game to ugly behaviour in the stands. In wasn't sitting anywhere near where this happened but a few years ago a group of Rider fans attacked a Calgary Police officer when he came into the stands to help security remove some drunken Rider fans. It went viral & was on You Tube. I've seen police remove drunken Rider fans from the stands & it wasn't just for no reason. It was because of fighting &/or boorish behaviour bothering everyone around them.

I've seen Rider fans in the stands & the McMahon Stadium concourse yell, scream & swear at any fan not wearing green. So get over yourself, Ripper. The reason your fanbase has a target on their backs isn't because you have the most fans but because a large percentage of Rider fans who travel to games are drunken assholes. No other team has fans who misbehave like that.

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

I read this and thought, no way, NO WAY will Ripper respond with something about not caring about Dressler.  Then I thought, nah, even Ripper will once and awhile be honest, forthcoming and reasonable in a post.

And that kids is why you don't hold out hope for society.  Think the worst and you won't be disappointed. 

35 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Chick is the one I'm disappointed about. He only has a year or so left, would have been nice for him to finish it in green. Dressler won't be missed by this fan. Obviously I always thought he was good, but he has never been a number one receiver in my mind, therefore doesn't deserve to paid as such. I'm not one of those fans that gets overly attached to the players, they come and go. The world isn't coming to a end because Dressler isn't here and it will have no effect on how our season unfolds

I'm going to go out on the limb here and say if he was still a Rider, you'd have never made this comment.  It just drips with so much BS my monitor turned brown.

...because, you know. It's not like 1100 yds & 7 TDs avg per season FOR SIX CONSECUTIVE SEASONS is #1 receiver quality.

Christ, Rider fans wonder why they're mocked nationwide.

EXHIBIT A. ^^^^^^^

10 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

I read this and thought, no way, NO WAY will Ripper respond with something about not caring about Dressler.  Then I thought, nah, even Ripper will once and awhile be honest, forthcoming and reasonable in a post.

And that kids is why you don't hold out hope for society.  Think the worst and you won't be disappointed. 

In your opinion, I'm supposed to agree with you guys to be considered as being honest? I never said he won't be missed, there are people here mad as a hornet to this day. I said he won't be missed by ME.  Do you unconditionally love every player on the Bombers?? I suspect you probably don't . I suspect that maybe there might be some that even though they are good, fans still call them over paid. I read the posts here about Drew Willy when you guys were losing, bumb, overpaid, bla bla bla.

2 minutes ago, Ripper said:

In your opinion, I'm supposed to agree with you guys to be considered as being honest? I never said he won't be missed, there are people here mad as a hornet to this day. I said he won't be missed by ME.  Do you unconditionally love every player on the Bombers?? I suspect you probably don't . I suspect that maybe there might be some that even though they are good, fans still call them over paid. I read the posts here about Drew Willy when you guys were losing, bumb, overpaid, bla bla bla.

Typical Migs...  

18 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Every Bomber? No. Players who've made an immense impact on the team and in the community, while achieving excellent on-field production over the course of several seasons- certainly!

obviously I don't know if you're a truthful person, I suspect you probably are. It's just fandom gets in the way, and we all, whether intentionally or not, spin things to fit our narrative.

You want to stick to the "Dressler was never a #1, and I never thought so" that's totally fine! But expect folks to call BS on that, just because it's so unbelievable. Coming from a Rider fan especially, but even from any fan of another team id be spektical. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Every Bomber? No. Players who've made an immense impact on the team and in the community, while achieving excellent on-field production over the course of several seasons- certainly!

obviously I don't know if you're a truthful person, I suspect you probably are. It's just fandom gets in the way, and we all, whether intentionally or not, spin things to fit our narrative.

You want to stick to the "Dressler was never a #1, and I never thought so" that's totally fine! But expect folks to call BS on that, just because it's so unbelievable. Coming from a Rider fan especially, but even from any fan of another team id be spektical. 

First of all, reasonable post.  Posts get blown out of proportion all the time because, you are correct, people want to spin it to match their opinion.  My isn't a number one comment is exactly a good example. Maybe someone can correct me, but The highest Dressler has ever been in league receiving is 3rd and it only happened once. At 240k, at the time he would have been certainly either the highest or second highest paid receiver in the league. I believe only SJ Green was making more at about 250'ish.  I never said he hasn't been the riders best receiver, I meant he has never been the leagues best receiver. The Riders under Taman featured multiple highest paid at their position guys, the model couldn't continue. Labatte, Getzlaf, Chick, Dressler, Durant, all making highest or near highest at their position money. I'm not exactly the president of the Durant fan club either, as I'm sure some of you Bomber fans that post on our site can verify. Chick was one of those guys for me that I would defend to the bitter end, Rob Bagg also.  Lets be honest here about something else, the rider fanbase as a whole had no idea how much money Dressler was making. When it hit the news, many fans felt a whole lot different about him and what his contract meant to our lack of depth, after all its costs money to have quality depth. Obviously I loved the plays that he made and things that he did, but in my job I'm a dollars and cents guy.  I get paid to watch company money and get value. I liked him but he was never one of my favorite riders, but the second I found out what he was making, I wanted him gone. Whether you take me at my word or not makes no difference to me.  Felt the same with Durant, had he not taken a pay cut I had zero problem with him being gone. Seen too much boom and bust in riderville this last 8 years. I want consistency and cost certainty and competitive football. No more winning cup one year and sucking the next. Ideally, Dressler's deal would have been restructured and he would have stayed. But come on guys, how many of you actually believe that was going to happen?  As I said, and will continue to stand by, Dressler leaving however unfortunate is not by any means the end of the world to me. Even Chick who I am still a big fan of had to go. For the contact you signed Dressler at, he is a huge pick up for the Bombers and something to be excited about. Look at it this way, how many of you would have kept Denmark for what the riders signed him for?

21 hours ago, Ripper said:

Being on the field in a victory against the Riders last year probably includes almost every player in the CFL so you'll have to add a little more depth to your response than that. Also How many CFL starts does Waggoner have again?

How about, they didn't cost us the game. 

For me, Hurl and Buknor are no where near the 'we need them in the lineup or we're sunk' status.

More of the, "we are managing things with them in the lineup' status.

Trying to be conciliatory... Dude, you keep saying Dressler's not a number one receiver when clearly he is & with Ryan Smith gone I can't see how the Riders will pick up the slack with Denmark & Bagg as their only experienced receivers. That duo scares no one. Bagg is one knee shot away from retirement. You have no number one receiver now. I expect to see Darian Durant counting clouds from his back a lot this season'

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

How about, they didn't cost us the game. 

For me, Hurl and Buknor are no where near the 'we need them in the lineup or we're sunk' status.

More of the, "we are managing things with them in the lineup' status.

Agreed on both counts. I've posted here before that I don't mind Bucknor either. Hurl can play here and there and not hurt you. I'd be concerned if he becomes a long term option due to injury.