Odds and Sods - Game 6 - BC Lions at Winnipeg Blue Bombers

It only takes a win to get the conversation going all rainbows and sunny skies.

Agree. Things are out of whack here. We need some balance. 

Paging   "Walters can't find decent American talent, Mack was better at that" crowd.

Another important result of this game… Brohm v. Marve gone for now.

It only takes a win to get the conversation going all rainbows and sunny skies. After the last couple of weeks I  wasn't sure there was any of that stuff left in anybody.

I know it sounds weird but even during the first drive I was feeling a bit positive. All the plays were short and the defense never collapsed like it had in the past. Once the BB moved the ball a bit after that I could see that the team wasn't down and that they could come back. In the past an opening drive for a touchdown at home would have deflated the team a bit. 

It took BC 15 plays to get down the field.  Some would argue that means the Bomber D had 15 chances to get off the field, but I also saw a defence that was digging in.  None of that was made easy for BC; they were challenged for every yard on that drive.

If they had been able to do that drive after drive, all game long, it becomes a different story though.

One thing worth mentioning: Both Adams and Washington's INTs were outstanding grabs. Those weren't gimme balls thrown right at them, by any stretch. Extremely impressive....

Not to mention Washington's great recovery in the endzone in knocking the ball away from the receiver. Reminded me of how school yard football was played.

Still unclear why Dunigan thought that was pass interference . . .

I feel like BC went to the hurry up to combat the crowd. Which seems contradictory.

Do they run no huddle a lot?

Lulay calls a lot of audibles and with the crowd noise that just wasn't going to work very well.

Which makes the hurry up more confusing to me.

Seemed like they wanted to not let the crowd reset, but it didn't work, and was obvious it wasn't working from the beginning.

I got the sense it was more to keep the Bombers from changing personnel than to combat the noise. They went back to it when Hurl was out with equipment issues and Bass was hurt for that short spell. They found a way to keep them both off the field. But Lulay's passing accuracy took a hit after that first drive, and the secondary tightened up. that as much as anything changed the tempo of the game.

I feel like BC went to the hurry up to combat the crowd. Which seems contradictory.

Do they run no huddle a lot?

Lulay calls a lot of audibles and with the crowd noise that just wasn't going to work very well.
Which makes the hurry up more confusing to me.

Seemed like they wanted to not let the crowd reset, but it didn't work, and was obvious it wasn't working from the beginning.

I got the sense it was more to keep the Bombers from changing personnel than to combat the noise. They went back to it when Hurl was out with equipment issues and Bass was hurt for that short spell. They found a way to keep them both off the field. But Lulay's passing accuracy took a hit after that first drive, and the secondary tightened up. that as much as anything changed the tempo of the game.

You're probably right.

They fought the crowd noise all game and went to a hurry up anyway... Confusing, even if for the reason you state.

One thing worth mentioning: Both Adams and Washington's INTs were outstanding grabs. Those weren't gimme balls thrown right at them, by any stretch. Extremely impressive....

Not to mention Washington's great recovery in the endzone in knocking the ball away from the receiver. Reminded me of how school yard football was played.

Not sure if the replays truly showed how good that recovery was. He stumbled badly when the receiver made the cut in the end zone and the ball was already in the air. From the stands I said "6 points right there". His closing speed after he got his feet under him was pretty spectacular.

Seriously, accuse me of overreacting, but J. Adams is the best DB we've had since Juran Bolden.

Remember when everyone was all "hurfdurf Chris Randle is a terrible SAM put him back at the corner."

I think an adjustment that gets both Randle and Adams on the field is a good idea...

It was pretty close. Washington made a very good recovery and made a great play. It might have gone either way, and not been overturned either way. My impression is that because Washington hit the ball as he hit the receiver's arm, he got away with it.

I agreed with Matty... that was PI. I thought we hit the receiver before the ball got there. Touching the ball at the same time shouldn't make any difference to the call, but you're probably right... it did. Nice the we got one to go our way for a change though.

Because of all the weak assed calls they do make. 

Seriously, accuse me of overreacting, but J. Adams is the best DB we've had since Juran Bolden.

Remember when everyone was all "hurfdurf Chris Randle is a terrible SAM put him back at the corner."

I think an adjustment that gets both Randle and Adams on the field is a good idea...

I was more a "derp de derp put Randle back at corner" and Im happy to be wrong on that that one. As soon as the d line starts getting consistent pressure and hurrying some throws, these guys are going to see their INT numbers skyrocket

BC runs a no huddle offense.

Looked more like a no-offense huddle.

WHAT?!?!  I can't hear you over the crowd cheering.

You mean jeering?

No, I meant cheering...for me...cause I'm so awesome.

And, yes, most were cheering...for the defense to kick ass.  Yelling out "COME ON DEFENSE" is cheering.  I'm sure there were a few that were jeering as well though.  Especially the ones sitting right behind the BC bench.