2024 Blue Bomber Training Camp

13 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I think Booch’s idea is a neat twist, maybe with a 20-30 minute run time instead of 60. If we could eliminate game delays like commercial breaks that would keep the length more reasonable, but the TV and radio folks would never sign off on that, the league isn’t going to run those game at a financial loss. Not sure what the answer is, but some nice outside the box thinking here to create a more useful pre-season. 

Who cares about the fans or the broadcasters, fans are barely watching exhibition games now and broadcasters are not all that interested in broadcasting them.  The radio broadcasters can yap indefinitely, 2 hours prior and 2 hours post game is almost normal for them. The whole purpose of extending exhibition games would be to give teams more game time to evaluate unknown personnel.

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I think Lawler is going to have a monster year if he and Zach stay healthy....

He’s going to have to. He’s making shy of 300 k, second highest paid receiver in the league.. I understand it was a tough start for him because of the suspension but he’s going to have to be a little bit better this year than he was last year. Not to say he was bad but when you’re paid top dollar you have to be one of the top players. I think he’s going to have a huge season this year btw 

My week preseason week 1 observations:

The Riders 1st string is better than our 2nd string.

The Stamps 1st string is way better than BC's 2nd string. 

Edmonton can still greatly outplay their opponents only to give the game away via turn overs.

Hammy can still outplay their opponents only to give the game away via penalties. 

All radio guys are homers & the Riders have the worst radio play by play by far. 

Berrière can play like a derrière and get cut even though we waited 4 years for him.

Montreal's 3rd string QB, Alexander, looked more ready to start than Arbuckle or Brown. 

Toronto has a QB problem.

Not blitzing in preseason is a thing of the past. 

The punt halo is still somewhere between 3 & 7 yards. 

Offensive offside is still between 1 and 3 yards. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I think Lawler is going to have a monster year if he and Zach stay healthy....

He needs to have at least one monster year if he expects to keep getting paid like he is.

11 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Didn’t lawler put up like 1000 yards in half the games? Playing half the games as the next guy. That’s pretty good. 

But he's never played 18 games. 

5 hours ago, Goalie said:

Didn’t lawler put up like 1000 yards in half the games? Playing half the games as the next guy. That’s pretty good. 

901 in 12 games. It was good, I just know he has another gear. It gets tricky because him, Schoen and Demski are three of the four highest paid receivers in the CFL. Depending on how this season goes there’s going to have to be some tough conversations of where to allocate the money.

Edited by Arnold_Palmer

1 hour ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

I am probably going to get hate for this take, but I want to see Lawler get more separation this year. It is great that he can make those contested catches, but it felt like ALL of his catches last year were contested.

You're wrong, he got separation just fine. Collaros often under throws deep balls. Has since 2019

1 hour ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

I am probably going to get hate for this take, but I want to see Lawler get more separation this year. It is great that he can make those contested catches, but it felt like ALL of his catches last year were contested.

Never liked teams relying on receivers making circus catches to win games, it basically means the guy isn't really that open and the QB is risking possession throwing to a well covered receiver.  For Zach, Lawler can be a bit of a crutch, huck it up with the confidence Lawler will always come down with it, doesn't always work.  Schoen doesn't have that ability in his tool bag so Zach doesn't risk throwing him any jump balls.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Edmonton can still greatly outplay their opponents only to give the game away via turn overs.

Hammy can still outplay their opponents only to give the game away via penalties. 

All radio guys are homers & the Riders have the worst radio play by play by far. 

Berrière can play like a derrière and get cut even though we waited 4 years for him.

Montreal's 3rd string QB, Alexander, looked more ready to start than Arbuckle or Brown. 

The way the Argonauts organization treated the whole Kelly situation is derserving karma.

I hope that team rots into the ground this year.

45 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

You're wrong, he got separation just fine. Collaros often under throws deep balls. Has since 2019

Last year we had the most trouble protecting Collaros, and under thrown deep balls are a classic sign of the pocket being pushed back onto the qb. 
When you throw deep against a straight pressure or are hit when throwing the ball tends to sail. 
 That’s why we saw soo many pics going back to the early mafia days we had soo many dominant import pocket pushing nose tackles. 

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Backup QB's to watch, Doege in Edm. seemed to have the composure of Dru Brown, Logan Bonner in Cgy. looked good as well.  Taylor Powell in Hamilton will become their starter eventually.

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

He needs to have at least one monster year if he expects to keep getting paid like he is.

But he's never played 18 games. 

Neither has megatron or Patrick mahomes. ;) 

Powell looked like Wilson yesterday so guess Wilson could start also. Eventually 

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Lawler is taking a pay cut even if he puts up 2000 yards this year 

that window for 300k receivers is closed

Agreed, not only that but the philosophy of our offense has changed. It revolves around the ground game with the emergence of Brady Oliveria as the focal point of the offense. No matter what we can’t pay a receiver closer to 300 k and have three of the top paid receivers in the league when we’re a ground and pound football team that money can be spent trying to find a tackle, or an upgrade to the front seven year year. I love me some Kenny Lawler but you’re right he’ll have to shave some salary off if we see him back in blue and gold, I guess part of the discussion will be with Schoen and if we can lock him up long term or he gets one last NFL shot, my money would be on him being back but I would be shocked if they’re both back next season at over 500 k 

Me and my girl friend went to go pick up our season tickets today, really fun event at the stadium, I bit the bullet and bought a chris streveler jersey. It was the first jersey I purchased since I got a Charles Robert’s one for Christmas when I was 10 years old lol! I was torn on who to get, but I figured no matter what Streveler’s cult hero status as a Bomber will never fade so it was a safe bet. 

5 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

will-ferrell-anchorman.gif

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Agreed, not only that but the philosophy of our offense has changed. It revolves around the ground game with the emergence of Brady Oliveria as the focal point of the offense. No matter what we can’t pay a receiver closer to 300 k and have three of the top paid receivers in the league when we’re a ground and pound football team that money can be spent trying to find a tackle, or an upgrade to the front seven year year. I love me some Kenny Lawler but you’re right he’ll have to shave some salary off if we see him back in blue and gold, I guess part of the discussion will be with Schoen and if we can lock him up long term or he gets one last NFL shot, my money would be on him being back but I would be shocked if they’re both back next season at over 500 k 

Both Lawler & Schoen's days as NFL players are over. We're not just a ground & pound team. We throw the ball. A lot. Sometimes maybe too much as Zach likes the deep ball. But to say we're a one dimensional ball team with just Oliveira grounding it out on the ground is wrong.

This team reminds me of the Bombers of the mid to late 80's when we won 2 GC's & should have won more. We had Tom Clements at qb. We had Willard Reaves running for 1300-1800 yards a season. We also had Joe Pop, Rick House, Perry Tuttle, James Murphy & jeff Boyd catching the ball. No one called us a ground & pound team with Reaves ground game crushing opponents, The Bombers then, just like today, can kill a team on the ground or in the air. We're a nightmare for opposition DC's to prepare for. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27