Free Agency Day - Non-Bombers CFL News

57 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I've always assumed that lots of players had back room deals with local companies...  I.E.  Take a smaller salary on the books with the club.... meanwhile Adam Bighill gets paid an additional large amount of money from his "part time" job in the city.  

Bighill isn't doing a mob job. He puts in the work. I know people who use his services and he's the real deal there.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I've always assumed that lots of players had back room deals with local companies...  I.E.  Take a smaller salary on the books with the club.... meanwhile Adam Bighill gets paid an additional large amount of money from his "part time" job in the city.  

You do realize its not a no show construction type job, right?

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Well it was mentioned that the reason we got Streveler so cheap was that he could earn a lot of money off the field in Winnipeg. I wonder if we threw him a bunch of 'promo" money?

You know all those times two bombers go out into random places and sign autographs? Bet you they are getting a cheque. Not that they’d need to get one, but I’m sure we use it as one way to bolster total compensation. Play off money too. 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

I know for a fact that happened a bunch as recently as the early to mid 90s. Few guys with dealership jobs who didn’t sell cars but showed up for company events and public stuff. 

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Well it was mentioned that the reason we got Streveler so cheap was that he could earn a lot of money off the field in Winnipeg. I wonder if we threw him a bunch of 'promo" money?

But that is different- the ROI on giving Strev "Promo Money" would be very high.

21 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

But that is different- the ROI on giving Strev "Promo Money" would be very high.

Yea...the return on any players Promo money would be very high. Nothing sells tickets like winning. If you can exceed the SMS by half a million dollars through the use of promo money you can increase your win totals and thusly ticket sales. That is in effect the same and only reason a business runs promo...to sell more. Therefore, I suggest we pay all our players promo money for a lower cap hit, put a dynasty out there, and reap the rewards of outstanding attendance that comes from winning.

Edited by GCn20

27 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Yea...the return on any players Promo money would be very high. Nothing sells tickets like winning. If you can exceed the SMS by half a million dollars through the use of promo money you can increase your win totals and thusly ticket sales. That is in effect the same and only reason a business runs promo...to sell more. Therefore, I suggest we pay all our players promo money for a lower cap hit, put a dynasty out there, and reap the rewards of outstanding attendance that comes from winning.

I was actually talking about Strev making promotional appearances and such. Seriously... that dude would be able to move merch like crazy! On top of that, he does energizes our fanbase- fur coats and a cowboy hat? seriously who the hell other than Strev can make that a thing?

He just brings next level excitement and pure awesomeness... 

Edited by Wanna-B-Fanboy

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I know for a fact that happened a bunch as recently as the early to mid 90s. Few guys with dealership jobs who didn’t sell cars but showed up for company events and public stuff. 

Well it appears Kenny Lawler was given a "promo" vehicle from a local dealership...    I'm sure it still happens around the league.  

1 hour ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Any thoughts on Antonio Simmons?

It's been reported that the Bombers have made contact with his agent. He could be a good player to sign but it always depends on how he fits SMS and how he works with his team mates and coaches. I've never heard anything bad about him but the fact the team has made contact is a good sign.

46 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Simmons on a min contract might be worth a camp look. Would have to due our due diligence on his mental health tho.

Yeah. And if not, no big loss. He’s got upside but he’s played and been to camps up here a few times and not developed.  

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Simmons on a min contract might be worth a camp look. Would have to due our due diligence on his mental health tho.

We were interested in him before and after he stepped away from the game to work on his issues so it doesn't seem like the team is put off by it.  I think it's a good sign that he was aware enough to decline offers last year, knowing he wasn't in the right mind set to be playing.  Still something he (and the team) need to be mindful of, but if he feels he's ready to play again, I think he's worth taking a look at.

On 2024-02-21 at 10:42 AM, Bigblue204 said:

Bighill isn't doing a mob job. He puts in the work. I know people who use his services and he's the real deal there.

You don't fart around with people's money. He would have to study to get licensed & then take part in some in depth training & guidance from his superiors at work. He would have to put in the work.