2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

33 minutes ago, Mike said:

You pay a guard that much money because he’s beyond elite and you can pay your import tackles far, far less

Way too much for a guard. Even a great guard. 

23 minutes ago, bluto said:

Extend. Then renegotiate.

Rinse. Repeat.

Repeat for infinite salary for him lol. 

2 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

uh no...I want them to suck as bad as TJ Heath.  Thought that was obvious....

But... We got Drew Willy for that guy!

I never want to see guys leave us and career years, but I have to say that the guys we let go (because basically, we just let them all leave...) they're all pretty good and definitely don't suck.

6 minutes ago, bluto said:

I never want to see guys leave us and career years, but I have to say that the guys we let go (because basically, we just let them all leave...) they're all pretty good and definitely don't suck.

I mean if you play for the Riders you suck.

3 hours ago, bluto said:

And we ended up drafting future hall of famer Faith Ekakitie with our draft pick....

Edited by kelownabomberfan

16 hours ago, bluto said:

Edmonton and Hamilton will obviously be better. They've each added 4 Argos. 

Ottawa and Saskatchewan will only be a little better having only added 2.

You'd think the former Argos would rather have gone to the Riders to be with Mace.

3 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

How the mighty have fallen, Stamps scrounging through garbage bins, trying to patch a roster together.

I'd take their linebackers over ours. If you think they're scrounging thru garbage bins then what about our Front 7? 

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You'd think the former Argos would rather have gone to the Riders to be with Mace.

I'd take their linebackers over ours. If you think they're scrounging thru garbage bins then what about our Front 7? 

Our front 7 doesn't include Micah Teitz tho, there is that. I am not so sure we didn't do addition through subtraction with our front 7 with the exception of Clements. We needed better than Walker, we needed more consistency in the lineup from JJ's position. If our recruitment is good we might be better than last year.

Edited by GCn20

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I wouldn’t. Judge and Bighill are a wash. Teitz isn’t anything special. Awe racks up tackles but a cheap shot artist.

Herdman-Reid and Konar are meh, rather have Kramdi than either of those guys. 

I’d take Wilson and Cole over anyone over there. 

18 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I wouldn’t. Judge and Bighill are a wash. Teitz isn’t anything special. Awe racks up tackles but a cheap shot artist.

Herdman-Reid and Konar are meh, rather have Kramdi than either of those guys. 

I’d take Wilson and Cole over anyone over there. 

Judge is better than Bighill imo at least now.

23 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Yeah, at this point in their careers I’ll concede that. Still feel strongly the Bombers have the better overall group. 

You're right - only a diehard Stamps fan would argue otherwise. 

52 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Judge is better than Bighill imo at least now.

Better passport, that is all. Biggie was the CFLPA all star last year. Chosen by his peers as the best. I'm not sure on why everyone is so hell bent on suggesting he is done. Is he DMOP calibre anymore? No. Can he dominate the game and do things that no other defensive player could measure up to? No.Is he one of, if not the best MIKE in the league. Absolutely. We are comparing him to a time he was the best defensive player in the league by far and because he is no longer that guy we are saying he is washed up? Makes no sense. There are a lot of levels of play between that.

Edited by GCn20

The Biggie apologists are wild. He’s barely passable as a starting linebacker at this point. The biggest thing he brings to the table at this point is his ability to read things pre-snap and get himself into the right spots but he’s probably the slowest linebacker in the league and is nowhere near the sure tackler he used to be.

CFLPA all star aka the reputation award. Doesn’t mean anything for actual on-field performance, we all know that and just pretend we don’t when it’s convenient.

Bighill has been awesome and he definitely had a bit of a resurgence at the beginning of 2024 but his play fell off a cliff in the second half of the year.

12 minutes ago, Mike said:

The Biggie apologists are wild. He’s barely passable as a starting linebacker at this point. The biggest thing he brings to the table at this point is his ability to read things pre-snap and get himself into the right spots but he’s probably the slowest linebacker in the league and is nowhere near the sure tackler he used to be.

CFLPA all star aka the reputation award. Doesn’t mean anything for actual on-field performance, we all know that and just pretend we don’t when it’s convenient.

Bighill has been awesome and he definitely had a bit of a resurgence at the beginning of 2024 but his play fell off a cliff in the second half of the year.

CFLPA allstars are chosen by their peers. It's not a reputation vote and saying so shows your ignorance of the accomplishment. There is no media or any other entity outside the game voting on it...just the offensive players in the league get a vote on who the best defensive players are. Of all all star teams chosen in any sport this one is probably the most accurate indicator of who is making a difference.  Unless, of course, you are suggesting that the players wouldn't accurately rate their peers? Sorry, but I will trust the guys who play against Bighill all season over a biased fans perspective. You Bighill bashers are the ones who are wild. Barely passable as a starting linebacker....good grief. Offensive players around the league beg to differ.

Has he taken a step back? Yes. He no longer dominates the game the way he used to do so. Might he continue on a downward trajectory? Possibly. Something the coaches will have to keep an eye on for sure. Was he still a very good LBer last year. Absolutely, and to say otherwise is an absolute joke of an assessment. C'mon Mike seriously?

Edited by GCn20

Other 2023 CFLPA All-Stars:

Demerio Houston...

Mathieu Betts...

Marcus Sayles...

I read somewhere these guys are all overrated. I tend to agree the players are more reliable than the media when it comes to player awards, popularity and reputation should be less of a factor.

And yet...

1 minute ago, MOBomberFan said:

Demerio Houston...

Mathieu Betts...

Marcus Sayles...

I read somewhere these guys are all overrated. I tend to agree the players are more reliable than the media when it comes to player awards, popularity and reputation should be less of a factor.

And yet...

Matthieu Betts has a pretty dominant season last year, hard to argue that. Was he over rated a bit, possibly, but it is pretty tough to suggest that he was not deserving of the accolade. Demerio had a lot of success with interceptions and made some very timely ones that changed the outcome of a couple games for us. For sure opposing players would know his name. Sayles, same thing. Are all these guys potentially over rated by fans and media...probably...but that doesn't make them scrubs either. Do you think a barely passable as a starter MIKE could get enough votes from his peers to be selected their all star at that position. I highly doubt it. Could a very strong argument be made that there were better guys than Sayles and Demerio at those positions...possibly if someone was to study the entire body of work of every DB. However, these guys are all voting for guys that played the best against them or their team in their judgement. Get enough of those votes and you are the allstar. In Betts, Sayles, and Houston's case it is pretty obvious they had some pretty high level games that enough of their peers noticed them and singled them out.

6 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Demerio Houston...

Mathieu Betts...

Marcus Sayles...

And yet...

Could just be more of a popularity contest. I dont care who voted for what. Houston and Sayles were not good last year. Period.

2 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Could just be more of a popularity contest. I dont care who voted for what. Houston and Sayles were not good last year. Period.

That's nonsense. Houston led the league in INTs and made some very timely plays for us that turned losses into victories. Sayles was good as well. Is Houston perfect, nope, but to say he wasn't good last year. OMG. Is this bizarro world around here today?

Edited by GCn20