2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

11 minutes ago, Booch said:

Taman also didnt even want Blink ..said he would always be fumbling cause his hands were too small ... And wouldn't last from pounding....prob one the toughest sob's pound for pound...much like Grant is...and Blink rarely fumbled.

Another Taman assessment was he felt Gavin Walls as well was a pointless camp invite...never liked Taman...glorified ball boy with zero real football connections...more recruiting came to us thru players referrals and parents of players...

Blinks early fumbles were all from trying to do too much down field. He just wouldn’t go down. Fought for yards like his life depended on it. He did learn and get past that quickly though. I wouldn’t hesitate to trust him with the ball in the clutch. 
not suprised. Walls was under the average weight but sooo strong. I had some first and second hand experience with that. One of those insanely strong p4p guys. 
 Walls career is kind of like jeffcoat as well. Great pass rushers who could’ve had hof careers. Had hof talent. Didn’t have the consistent missed games jj did and was more productive in less seasons. 

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Tbh we had a lot of that in the taman era. His negotiation tactics and penitent for cheaping out cost us soo much talent. We likely would’ve won a gc after 01 if we didn’t screw around soo much. Bruce, Clark, Armstrong we screwed and low balled soo much under taman. Our fa pick ups virtually all sucked as well. 
 I don’t blame the milt blink and other hold outs. Or guys leaving to other teams for a bit more money. 

The club wasn't exactly in a good financial position back in the day. 

As we always say, we're living the glory years right now, and it's for more reasons than the fact we're winning a bunch. 

around the 6:30 mark I had to stop and go get the hanky.  Wow....you hear about how much the fans and the organization are loved by the players, and vice versa obviously, but when you hear it spoken in such a heartfelt manner, it really hits home.  How often do you hear players in leagues like the NBA or NHL talk like this?  Not very often.  They're in a city, get their paycheque, maybe win a Cup or two, and they are off to the next place in free agency, see ya later.  Amazing.

On 2024-02-20 at 6:27 AM, Jesse said:

The club wasn't exactly in a good financial position back in the day. 

As we always say, we're living the glory years right now, and it's for more reasons than the fact we're winning a bunch. 

Yeah they were running it on the cheap back then. The facility was super rough too. 
I don’t think we retained a high-end FA for nearly a decade.
After 02 it was the big 4 (Milt/Blink/Brown/KJ or KG) with little to nothing else talent-wise.

When they hired Doug Berry,  Taman was able to bring in a few good vets on the tail end (Simpson, Bolden, Armstrong, ect) to make a short run. 

Point is, you’re right. There was never anything foundational for a sustained run on top before Wade took over. 

On 2024-02-19 at 7:47 PM, Booch said:

Taman also didnt even want Blink ..said he would always be fumbling cause his hands were too small ... And wouldn't last from pounding....prob one the toughest sob's pound for pound...much like Grant is...and Blink rarely fumbled.

Another Taman assessment was he felt Gavin Walls as well was a pointless camp invite...never liked Taman...glorified ball boy with zero real football connections...more recruiting came to us thru players referrals and parents of players...

Taman was the most bush league GM in modern CFL history.
Not all his fault mind you as the club was broke, and being run by the inept BOD. 

If not for Milt, I sincerely believe the team would have folded by 2005, and if not for Wade Miller would still be a bottom feeder now, if even in existence. 
In retrospect it’s amazing they made it through. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Taman was the most bush league GM in modern CFL history.
Not all his fault mind you as the club was broke, and being run by the inept BOD. 

If not for Milt, I sincerely believe the team would have folded by 2005, and if not for Wade Miller would still be a bottom feeder now, if even in existence. 
In retrospect it’s amazing they made it through. 

I don't think we would have folded, and I doubt we would still be a bottom feeder but the whole CFL was in financial peril throughout most of the 90's and early 2000's for sure. Taman did not have any kind of budget or scouting department to speak of. When the league stabilized and brought in the SMS it killed his career really because he didn't have a hot clue how to do the job properly but was better than most during a time everyone was winging it.

7 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I don't think we would have folded, and I doubt we would still be a bottom feeder but the whole CFL was in financial peril throughout most of the 90's and early 2000's for sure. Taman did not have any kind of budget or scouting department to speak of. When the league stabilized and brought in the SMS it killed his career really because he didn't have a hot clue how to do the job properly but was better than most during a time everyone was winging it.

Now c'mon....Taman had an indepth rollodex and 7/11 napkins at his disposal....How could you fail...he was wingin' it alright ,like all the others, most likely at a local restaurant .......................lol...............

Edited by Stickem

as has been mentioned, Taman did a HELL of a job, considering the complete lack of tools at his disposal. Zero budget, zero team.... it was just him out there scrounging. Using players' parents as scouts... things were not good in the WBB FC offices back then. 

On 2024-02-19 at 2:12 PM, Goalie said:

Wasn’t Mike sellers and Roberts Thunder  and lightning? 

Roberts tho would make guys miss him in phone booths (look it up millennials) 

Speaking of Mike Sellers, looks like his health is failing and his family is asking for help.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/quality-of-life-for-the-sellers-family?utm_campaign=m_pd+share-sheet&utm_content=podo_podo_control&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_source=customer

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Yes but - there were a number of teams doing a much better job than Winnipeg was. 

31 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Yes but - there were a number of teams doing a much better job than Winnipeg was. 

No doubt about that. Those lean years hit the community owned teams hard. One needs to remember though that the late 90s were an epic disaster for us. Ritchie and Taman at least put a respectable product on the field. Not championship calibre but there were some good years there.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

as has been mentioned, Taman did a HELL of a job, considering the complete lack of tools at his disposal. Zero budget, zero team.... it was just him out there scrounging. Using players' parents as scouts... things were not good in the WBB FC offices back then. 

Yup, the BOD and front office was run like Mom and Pop's Sodium Shop.   Ended up with hardly any draft picks, to boot......we traded away our first rounders virtually ever year.......then griped about the lack of Canadian talent and depth. 

35 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

No doubt about that. Those lean years hit the community owned teams hard. One needs to remember though that the late 90s were an epic disaster for us. Ritchie and Taman at least put a respectable product on the field. Not championship calibre but there were some good years there.

Hot take but Lyle Bauer was the biggest impediment for this team getting back to competitive. Too quick to blow it all up which decimated the depth and made it impossible to attract quality people.

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I’ve pondered this a few times, going back and forth and honestly idk what I think would’ve happened in that scenario. But I’m sure glad we didn’t have to find out. 

13 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Hot take but Lyle Bauer was the biggest impediment for this team getting back to competitive. Too quick to blow it all up which decimated the depth and made it impossible to attract quality people.

High floor low ceiling. Massive achevment bringing the team back to some financial stability and quality on the field. But couldn’t get out of the way for more. Tbh same goes for Ritchie and taman. Though we still should’ve won 01 based on freaking talent  alone. That roster was insane. 

30 minutes ago, do or die said:

Yup, the BOD and front office was run like Mom and Pop's Sodium Shop.   Ended up with hardly any draft picks, to boot......we traded away our first rounders virtually ever year.......then griped about the lack of Canadian talent and depth. 

Basically every single asset that impacts the quality of the team on the field was squandered. Free agent pick ups, rookies, trades, picks, neg list, you name it. 

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Which one? Or do you mean all of the above?

I was referring to Taman (fired less than two years after the 2013 Grey Cup) ... They've never been back to the Cup, thanks Brendan, whatever you did to that organization is still reaping rewards ... 😉

Edited by IC Khari