Week 10 - Blue Bombers (6-2) @ LOLks (0-8) - GDT

JCon

I got a question.  Here's a freeze-frame from the Demski TD.  How is our inside guy on the short side not offside?  The ball hasn't moved yet. When I saw it live I was sure the TD was coming back.

the Elk left-side DE was flagged on the play for offside, and yeah that guy moved early, but it looks like we got away with one ... unless I don't understand how offsides is called against waggling receivers.

hpR8zR2.png

Edited by johnzo

57 minutes ago, johnzo said:

I got a question.  Here's a freeze-frame from the Demski TD.  How is our inside guy on the short side not offside?  The ball hasn't moved yet. When I saw it live I was sure the TD was coming back.

the Elk left-side DE was flagged on the play for offside, and yeah that guy moved early, but it looks like we got away with one ... unless I don't understand how offsides is called against waggling receivers.

hpR8zR2.png

Back foot is what they go by.

5 hours ago, johnzo said:

hpR8zR2.png

4 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Back foot is what they go by.

Went to the CFL rule book to ensure this. In fact, the determination of offside and the line of scrimmage is altered depending on the player. For a passer, GCn20 is absolutely right, and a forward pass is legal if at least the back foot is on or behind the line. But for a snap, here is the rule:

Article 3 – Offside At The Snap
Team A players must be completely behind the line of scrimmage, except that the head, arms and hands of the Centre and Receivers may be in advance of the line of scrimmage.

By the wording of that rule (FYI “Team A” is the team in possession of the ball in all rules situations), we were offside and got away with one. Unless the offensive player is allowed to re-establish themselves onside pre-snap if no player on the other side moves, just like a defensive player can. Hard to get in the ref’s head to figure out their judgment.

One other thing I have been confused by in the past two games was why the refs sometimes blow a play dead if the defensive player jumps pre-snap and does not come in contact with the opposing lineman and tries to get back to an onside position, and other times let’s the play go. I always thought if no contact was made the play would run, and the defensive player could either re-establish themselves onside pre-snap, or the offence snaps while he’s offside and gets a “free” play. So, according to the rule, if the defensive player goes a yard or more past the line of scrimmage when encroaching the neutral zone, the play is blown dead regardless of whether or not contact is made. Also any contact and the play is blown dead immediately. So the refs can apply judgment to kill a play if they deem the offside to be beyond one yard from the line of scrimmage. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

8 hours ago, johnzo said:

hpR8zR2.png

It’s called a lucky break for the bombers… despite what some say, we get ‘em every now and then too 😁

13 minutes ago, Booch said:

Any game u watch you can prob see a good half dozen of those....as long as the reciever isn't totally across the line of scrimmage it won't be called

And it’s been like this for years and years.  

League wants scoring and this little bit of latitude favours the offence.  

13 minutes ago, Booch said:

Any game u watch you can prob see a good half dozen of those....as long as the reciever isn't totally across the line of scrimmage it won't be called

And it’s been like this for years and years.  

League wants scoring and this little bit of latitude favours the offence.  

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Yea. When I stated back foot that was right from Tom Higgins when he was head of officiating in CFL. He used to have a Q&A on CFL.ca. He said it's not the rule but for consistency that is how the officials call it. Too hard to call in real time by the rule without calling offside every play.

It stuck with me because I thought it was weird the head of officiating would call something different than what the rules state. He did also say officials go to every teams TC and explain it, and other rules and how they will be called to the players.

chuckled last night listening to the Riders game on the radio, and they brought up that particular play from the Bombers LOLks game and were incredulous as to how the Bombers didn't get called offside when "the Bombers player was a good 2 yards ahead of the play!!1" 

11 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Difference between Crum and Brown is that Brown is a QB and Crum is a RB that occasionally throws. The prospect that can throw will have more success. The Crums and Fords will replace the Prukops in time. Both types have useful skills...the thrower will earn a lot more.

Maybe Crum will learn like some do, Tracy Ham comes to my mind, i guess we will see...😊

4 hours ago, bearpants said:

It’s called a lucky break for the bombers… despite what some say, we get ‘em every now and then too 😁

Whaaaaaaaaa? Tell me more. Gather around the radio kids.

2 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Back in the day, it was called the Elgard rule

Yup Elgard needed that advantage you know cuz his forty score was just under 30.

5 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

On the Demski play at the time of that snapshot the ball is also moving.  You can see both tackles already in their kickstep too.

That's what I was thinking as well but couldn't quite tell. There is a few milliseconds on every play that the ball is moving but no one has reacted yet.

Edited by GCn20

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

chuckled last night listening to the Riders game on the radio, and they brought up that particular play from the Bombers LOLks game and were incredulous as to how the Bombers didn't get called offside when "the Bombers player was a good 2 yards ahead of the play!!1" 

During their Canadian air force era (getzlaf, bagg et al) they were constantly offside. They still do it a tonne. They would be the last team that should be complaining.

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

They bring us up constantly. It is bizarre.

As for the non call- It happens all game every game. 

We are also dealing with a command centre that can’t get a textbook RTP call correct with a million replays. So there is that. 

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

We are also dealing with a command centre that can’t get a textbook RTP call correct with a million replays. So there is that. 

We in their heads...that's why...

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

Just now, Booch said:

We in their heads...that's why...

Living rent free in Michael Ball's head no question....