Bombers @ redblacks GDT - Week 6

I agree with those who have commented on the coaching more specifically the d and o . Pierce has got to give up on calling a lapolice game. It isn’t working period and the motion and sweep of the end or wr isn’t working anymore. Good d coordinators watch film and can adjust for it….example last game and today!  And the run game is missing. Now that might be the online but why all of a sudden simply go to the pass and that’s it. Sometimes the o line might want to push back rather than getting run at consistently. The d has had injuries so will give them a little slack although I will say the tackling is not good and the coverage is questionable. I like the rush but as was state there has to be containment with a mobile able. There is a lot of work to do and frankly I have not seen improvement from day one but a regression.

This game showcased so many of the problems that cost us the Grey Cup last year: the O-line was mauled and there was no shuffling of linemen to spell off Kolankowski and Neufeld, the coaches did not make halftime adjustments or in the fourth quarter when the same plays were hurting the Bombers again and again. I listened to O'Shea and Collaros on OB's post game show and was treated to a series of cliches and no real sense of embarrassment by either. I am beginning to lose faith in Hall and Pierce who cannot come up with midgame adjustments. O'Shea's use of his roster is bizarre and needs to be questioned.

Well that sucked

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

2. Why the heck are you using Briggs if Clements is hurt? Play Cole and if he can't contribute on D, replace him.

3. Why was Anthony Bennett is so much? I could contribute as much and I'm 46

This is where I say the coaches lost this one. They thought it was in the bag and let the depth play all 2nd half thinking they could just bring it home. 

That offensive line has looked like dogshit for 3 out of the last 4 weeks. They’ve got to get Neufeld out of there, Kolankowski too. 
They have better guys sitting there, we all know it. 

We all love Yoshi, but he seems done. Sad to say. 

I don’t know about Richmond, but he’s been on the PR for 9 years or whatever. Maybe bring him up before he’s as old as our two starters. 

49 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

MOS has won two Grey Cups and 86 games. We are not allowed to question anything he or the club does. 

whistle-homer.gif

That 86 would be closer to a hundred if he managed the roster properly. 

14 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah my untrained eye seems like the interior is having a hard time making room for the run game.

Saw on several replays of runs up the gut, Neufeld caved in rather than 2 or 3 yards up the field opening space for Brady.  Oliveira consistently tackled right next to Neufeld on interior run plays.

It’s interesting because we have great players… and we’ve shown we could do it in the first 3 quarters.. and yet here we are. There are only a few players that are consistently poor in my eyes. Even if we cut them, we still lose this game.. as some of our most game changing errors were on some of our best players 2nd half.
The numerous errors on O led to our D being out there damn near all half, getting piss tired, and not being able to execute on a critical drive. The loss is on everyone tonight.
We’re in need of this bye week coming up. I mean...our injured list is going on 2 pages after tonight.. I think we’re roughed up and tired and it showed.

Everyone loves to see a giant fall… but you know what they love even more? A comeback kid

That debacle was a classic example why you should never take your foot off the gas and feel comfortable....The tackling on that 4th string qb. was horrendous....It seemed almost like our guys were content to just watch the guy run into the endzone ....on 2 occasions.....You won't win many games with that type of effort.....There's a missing ingredient on this club right now and comes in the form of Rose and Hansen.....We've been screwed on the return of Kenny Lawler by mitigating circumstances.....We sure could use his spark right now.....if anything else but to flush that total collapse out of our system

Edited by Stickem

Some general thoughts:

There were some danger signs going into this one. 

That BC game was considered to be "one of those games" - no worries.
But since then...... even while winning, we have seen some of the same stuff.......lack of push inside on D, poor play in OL interior, poor/missed tackling, under performing of some vets, head scratching play calls puzzling roster usage and simply general inconsistency.

The Bomber MO, last number of years........ has been to dominate the LOS, attention to detail, limit mistakes, 60 minute effort and the consistent ability to close out games, late.
Plenty of this - was completely missing last night, culminating in a ugly collapse and getting beat by a QB making his first start.

MOS loves his veteran players - and they love him.  
But looking at the performance of some of the vets lately - Darby, and Alexander were terrible last nite, Neufeld , our C, and Hardrick have been bad, all year.   We have some young blood that appears to have some upside Eli, Lawson, Dobson, Haba, et al.

May be time to tweak this lineup a bit - if MOS can bring himself to do it.

Watching the game I wasn't worried until we allowed the 2 point conversion to go to OT. I just assumed we'd make a play to win the game. I suspect the Bombers players felt the same. 

A lot of the reason that we shut their O down in the first half comes down to a QB starting his first game. He looked like the game was moving way to fast for him in the first half. It seemed to slow down for him in the 2nd half, which is great for a young QB. 

Why didn't we put a spy on the QB in the 4th Q and in OT? He was killing us with his legs. 

Collaros isn't going to last the season taking as many hits as he has, so I gotta agree with the replace Neuf crowd. He looked like he was chasing most of the night. 

What happened to our killer instinct? Last year, no one scored TD's on us in the 4th so going in with a lead = a win. 

21 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

A lot of the reason that we shut their O down in the first half comes down to a QB starting his first game. He looked like the game was moving way to fast for him in the first half. It seemed to slow down for him in the 2nd half, which is great for a young QB. 

Why didn't we put a spy on the QB in the 4th Q and in OT? He was killing us with his legs

This is Ritchie Hall. He blitzes guys a ton, but it's not usually anything crazy, just get to the qb and force him to throw before he wants to. 2nd half because it was nothing new they adapted and you don't bring the guy down he has tons of room. 

Hall does a lot of good things as a defensive coordinator but his defense is maddening to watch sometimes.