CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

The league didn't really have much of a choice after they chose BO over ZC.  Had the MOP been CK vs ZC the all star vote may have went a different way. Can't have an MOP finalist not being the league all star if the other finalist isn't playing his position too.

Honestly, everyone knows Zac was the best QB in the loop again this year but naming him CFL all star would be admitting the Bombers have TWO players that were more outstanding than Kelly. That wouldn't play well to the CFL's desperation to make the Argos relevant.

Edited by GCn20

10 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Not only Kelly but I can put my blue and gold goggles aside and concede that Houston being a CFL all star is a joke when he’s arguably our fourth, or fifth best DB on our roster..

1 minute ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Not only Kelly but I can put my blue and gold goggles aside and concede that Houston being a CFL all star is a joke when he’s arguably our fourth, or fifth best DB on our roster..

That's ok because realistically Toronto only had 4 players worthy of their CFL all star nods.

Just now, Arnold_Palmer said:

Yup...his being named is a joke....media going of meaningless stats...and media hype for other dumb reasons...hi Kelly....surprised with all the media slurping in Osh comments on Holm he wasnt picked either to be honest...yet best DB in league sits on our roster and doesn't get picked cause his play causes him to get no stats....shows how our lame media forms it opinion on

21 minutes ago, JCon said:

We always have to pretend that the Argos matter. Give them a cookie and pat them on the head. 

As if it'll help the attendance somehow. ******* embarrassing. But whatever.... Zach will notice this. Zach remembers.

24 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yup...his being named is a joke....media going of meaningless stats...and media hype for other dumb reasons...hi Kelly....surprised with all the media slurping in Osh comments on Holm he wasnt picked either to be honest...yet best DB in league sits on our roster and doesn't get picked cause his play causes him to get no stats....shows how our lame media forms it opinion on

No kidding. Easily the best DB in this league...just never gets the ball thrown his way because QBs avoid him like the plague because they can't complete a ball against him. How Nichols is not an allstar is just a joke.

Edited by GCn20

On 2023-11-07 at 8:02 AM, Bigblue204 said:

I thought he would have started. But when  he came in he looked as awful as ever. He sucks. That's why he didn't play. If you think any professional coach does things in game, especially a playoff game to stick it to the fans....im not even sure where to go with this conversation. You're living in a dream land.

And I'm not even defending the coaches cap. I'm 100% disagreeing with the notion that coaches will purposefully tank their team because "they know they'll be back". There are adjectives I'd use to describe that kind of.thinking, but I don't want to set you off on another tangent.

Steinhauer was just being stupid as the best qb on the team wasn't even dressed. If his job was in any true danger would he have done the same thing? Probably not. Powell was on the one game injured list. But look around the league & check out Ottawa with the hapless Bob Dyce & then the extra suffering Rider fans had this season with Dickenson. Even Jones in Edmonton had been dreadful at times but teams have had their hands tied behind their back when dealing with bad head coaches. They couldn't fire them. We've already had a poster explain how this cap has affected scouting & the development of future GMs & scouts. 

On 2023-11-07 at 10:08 AM, Stickem said:

The cat's will never have a winner with this guy at the helm.....in 2 positions....The 'caretaker' is blind if he thinks there's ever going to be success with Steinauer....The saying that 'nice guys finish last' is never more truer, when you have Orlando in a CFL conversation

maybe Green Day will play it at half time and dedicate it to Coach O...

On 2023-11-07 at 12:20 PM, wbbfan said:

Perfect example. Burke was maybe the most decorated and successful dc of his era. One fail as a hc and done. Devone claybrooks is another excellent dc who crashed and burned as a hc and was never heard from again
 Chris jones imo is a failed hc up jumped dc. 

I think it's a little soon to say he'll never be heard from again... it's only been two years and he's only 46 years old... If any team is looking for a DC next year, he'll definitely be on the list. 

Edited by bearpants

8 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Wait, I am confused- did Treasury Board President Anita Anand make these comments? I thought it was The head of the federal Union Awada... the pic confuses me...

From the article:

Wednesday morning, Treasury Board President Anita Anand said she was aware of Awada’s posts and was looking into them. “Antisemitic comments are unacceptable,” she said all the while noting that it is up to union members to deal with their leadership. PHOTO BY JEAN LEVAC/Ottawa Citizen

1 minute ago, Rich said:

From the article:Wednesday morning, Treasury Board President Anita Anand said she was aware of Awada’s posts and was looking into them. “Antisemitic comments are unacceptable,” she said all the while noting that it is up to union members to deal with their leadership. PHOTO BY JEAN LEVAC/Ottawa Citizen

true, but I thought they would have mentioned Anand in the twitter post if she featured prominently- I saw the post and thought- oh here we go, another lib scandal... 

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

maybe Green Day will play it at half time and dedicate it to Coach O...

I think it's a little soon to say he'll never be heard from again... it's only been two years and he's only 46 years old... If any team is looking for a DC next year, he'll definitely be on the list. 

It was Claybrooks decision to step away from the CFL, he took the payout from the Lions and went into business for himself, I believe he's invested in a restaurant and a cleaning business in Calgary.

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

It was Claybrooks decision to step away from the CFL, he took the payout from the Lions and went into business for himself, I believe he's invested in a restaurant and a cleaning business in Calgary.

good to know... it was the OP's suggestion that he was out of the league because no one wanted him... I didn't see it that way