CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

4 hours ago, Stickem said:

Elks closing the upper bowl for 24'......sign of the times for the CFL I guess.....seems like we're shrinking....Thought the leos would fill their digs this year...I think it happened once....We seem to be alright but if the riders don't clean up their mess, I could see a drop there....Interesting times.................

as noted...the lower bowl is more than enough. The Riders though... yikes. They just announced the prices for next year are going up 20% + 6% tax from the provincial government. People are irate over there... tire fire franchise and they're being asked to pay more to watch that. Good luck

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

as noted...the lower bowl is more than enough. The Riders though... yikes. They just announced the prices for next year are going up 20% + 6% tax from the provincial government. People are irate over there... tire fire franchise and they're being asked to pay more to watch that. Good luck, knuckle dragging cousin f***ers....

Better get some tarps ordered for Mosaic, the upper deck facing the cameras is pretty well empty now, jammed packed a distant memory

14 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

The Riders organization reminds me a lot of the Jets, to be honest.

I can see that.

The Jets started to make some small moves last year that caught my eye. Cheap seat nights, craft beer corner. The PLD trade and recent extensions are intriguing. I'm more invested pre-season than another other time over the past couple of years. 

17 hours ago, Stickem said:

Elks closing the upper bowl for 24'......sign of the times for the CFL I guess.....seems like we're shrinking....Thought the leos would fill their digs this year...I think it happened once....We seem to be alright but if the riders don't clean up their mess, I could see a drop there....Interesting times.................

50 yr old stadium built with athletic games in mind. Time for a new one.

ALs cut a couple guys. I’d give Damontre Moore a look at the pr. Very talented de with lots of experience. Great guy to have handy in case some one gets banged up. 
 I’d also give Patrick Davis a pr look. Big athletic ni ol from Syracuse who’s still pretty young and has lots of life in him. Be a good body to have in camp next year too. 

2 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

RE: Agudosi, didn't realize he was that old already. Hope the Argos picking him up doesn't come back to bit us, but honestly if he hadn't cracked a roster yet, there may be a reason for that.

well...we dress 2 canadians....and Have lawler/Schoen here, and Bailey serves a huge role...so was tough here....maybe he asked for a release too....as he was here soley as a Backup in case and maybe didnt see an opp happening this yr

3 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

RE: Agudosi, didn't realize he was that old already. Hope the Argos picking him up doesn't come back to bit us, but honestly if he hadn't cracked a roster yet, there may be a reason for that.

We've some injuries at receiver (Gittens, Phillips, Johnson) so adding Agudosi gives us cover. Hasn't lived up to his stature yet. By his measureables he's a freak, but he obviously hasn't caught on anywhere and seems to have been a numbers-game or cap casualty so far in his career. 

Huge extension signed for the Boatmen. I was 100% sure we were losing him this off season.

TORONTO – The Toronto Argonauts Football Club announced today they have extended the contract of Defensive Coordinator Corey Mace.

Mace, in his second season coaching the Argos defence, has led a unit that leads the CFL in sacks (54), interceptions (22),turnovers (42), opponent big plays (20, seven better than second place), opponent rush yards (79.6), is second in offensive points allowed (20.2) and opponents yards/play (5.98) while ranking third in offensive touchdowns allowed (31). The British Columbia native joined the Boatmen at the start of 2022, saw three of his players become Division All-Stars, and was integral in helping the Argonauts capture their 18th Grey Cup championship in November. 

Read it, and Hogans article on it here: https://www.argonauts.ca/2023/10/13/double-blue-extend-contract-of-defensive-coordinator-corey-mace/

Edited by bluto

14 minutes ago, bluto said:

Huge extension signed for the Boatmen. I was 100% sure we were losing him this off season.

TORONTO – The Toronto Argonauts Football Club announced today they have extended the contract of Defensive Coordinator Corey Mace.

Mace, in his second season coaching the Argos defence, has led a unit that leads the CFL in sacks (54), interceptions (22),turnovers (42), opponent big plays (20, seven better than second place), opponent rush yards (79.6), is second in offensive points allowed (20.2) and opponents yards/play (5.98) while ranking third in offensive touchdowns allowed (31). The British Columbia native joined the Boatmen at the start of 2022, saw three of his players become Division All-Stars, and was integral in helping the Argonauts capture their 18th Grey Cup championship in November. 

Read it, and Hogans article on it here: https://www.argonauts.ca/2023/10/13/double-blue-extend-contract-of-defensive-coordinator-corey-mace/

That IS big. Would have figured he'd be close to if not top of the list for HC candidates. 

19 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

That IS big. Would have figured he'd be close to if not top of the list for HC candidates. 

strike one off the list for a potential Ridersfan clamoring for...They gonna be in the same boat as last yr...get re-buffed repeatedly....hire some total unknown or greenhorn...or hopefully...just settle...again with in house crapolla haha

On 2023-10-11 at 6:24 PM, JohnnyAbonny said:

I think he would have made even more of an impact here if Lapo hadn’t had him running 5 yard hooks all the time. 

Carr did have an impact here. Winnipeg is NOT where his career took a nose dive. We lost him in FA.

2 hours ago, Booch said:

well...we dress 2 canadians....and Have lawler/Schoen here, and Bailey serves a huge role...so was tough here....maybe he asked for a release too....as he was here soley as a Backup in case and maybe didnt see an opp happening this yr

Let's face it, this was a make or break year for him. He isn't a spring chicken. Therefore, I agree that he may have asked for his release. 

2 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

2years DC does not a HC make.

If the talent/ability is there, why not?  Dinwiddie went from QB coach with Calgary to HC in Toronto.  He never even spent time as a coordinator (at least in name) and is doing just fine. 

Another current example would be Jason Maas - 3 years as a positional coach with Toronto, OC for 1 year with Ottawa before becoming HC in Edmonton.  Mace is now in year 7 as a coach so he has almost double the experience Maas had before getting a shot.

1 minute ago, bigg jay said:

If the talent/ability is there, why not?  Dinwiddie went from QB coach with Calgary to HC in Toronto.  He never even spent time as a coordinator (at least in name) and is doing just fine. 

Another current example would be Jason Maas - 3 years as a positional coach with Toronto, OC for 1 year with Ottawa before becoming HC in Edmonton.  Mace is now in year 7 as a coach so he has almost double the experience Maas had before getting a shot.

No every good coordinator, or even great coordinator, makes a good HC. The list of guys who were fantastic as a coordinator but epic failure as a HC is very long. Others can go from ST coach to legend....it really isn't about how great a coordinator you are. HC and coordinator are two different skill sets.

20 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

2years DC does not a HC make.

3 yrs as a ST coord seemed to work out....and really....it's the staff around you that makes the HC and a good GM....Look how Osh turned it around when he found good coords...wasn't anything he did different coaching wise

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

3 yrs as a ST coord seemed to work out....and really....it's the staff around you that makes the HC and a good GM....Look how Osh turned it around when he found good coords...wasn't anything he did different coaching wise

You have to be a leader of men as a HC. It's not enough to have the X's and O's down. That's what your coordinators are for.

13 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Tim Burke.

I guess I should have been more specific.

2yrs DC does not a successful HC make.

11 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

No every good coordinator, or even great coordinator, makes a good HC. The list of guys who were fantastic as a coordinator but epic failure as a HC is very long. Others can go from ST coach to legend....it really isn't about how great a coordinator you are. HC and coordinator are two different skill sets.

Yep, don't have to look much further than Bobby Dyce for a current example.  His many years a positional coach and coordinator has not translated to much success as HC (as of yet anyhow).

3 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Tim Burke.

I guess I should have been more specific.

2yrs DC does not a successful HC make.

No argument there but thanks for ruining my Friday by reminding me of the Burke era... I try to completely block that from memory! 😂