CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

On 2023-10-19 at 12:02 PM, Fatty Liver said:

I bet if you took a poll you'd find 80% of T.O.'s 3 mil. population is not interested or affluent enough to attend any sporting events regularly.  They may watch some sports on TV as cheap entertainment filler but that falls well below being invested enough to actually buy a ticket, support a team and attend a live event.  The majority of people nowadays are indifferent and occupied with many other things, and sports is nothing more than a niche segment of the entertainment industry.  The majority of hardcore sports fanatics were created in a different era.

Just a perfect scenario for some sucker to spend $7-8 BILLION Canadian just to get an NFL expansion franchise & build a new 75000 seat stadium. As well as offices, workout & training facilities for Toronto. Oh, then pay all the players in US funds.... And the NFL doesn't want MLSE to own the team. They only allow individual owners. Good luck, Toronto NFL freaks. can you imagine ticket prices in canadian funds. It would be unaffordable for the average fan. I'd bet a lot of Bills fans in Southern Ontario would just keep their season tickets & continue to go to games in Buffalo. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

44 minutes ago, Jesse said:

They had a list of potential OCs last year too. Got turned down by every one of them.

Ever since jones left they’ve had to settle for scraps and have been rejected by most every note worthy co in the league once, twice or three times. That alone tells you what oday has done. 
 Idk how the have all survived the turn down in quality and attendance not to mention failure to compete in their gc host year. 
might be some thing to the being hand cuffed by the management cap. Which is beautiful irony after they are the reason we got it. It needs serious re work though. It’s causing a lot of issues league wide 

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Ever since jones left they’ve had to settle for scraps and have been rejected by most every note worthy co in the league once, twice or three times. That alone tells you what oday has done. 
 Idk how the have all survived the turn down in quality and attendance not to mention failure to compete in their gc host year. 
might be some thing to the being hand cuffed by the management cap. Which is beautiful irony after they are the reason we got it. It needs serious re work though. It’s causing a lot of issues league wide 

It needs to be scrapped but we're talking about Randy Ambrosie here. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Speaking of Randy, there's been a recent sighting...

caveman-stomp.gif

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

that was a bit different because the coordinators knew that the coach and GM didn't have contracts, so they didn't want to get into that situation. Potential HC/GMs will be given extended contracts so at least there's some stability. They'll, in theory, be able to hire some better people this time around. Just a matter of whether or not they do it right or **** it up again.... here's hoping for a colossal **** up!  

If they're keeping O'Day, I can't see him successfully signing top candidates for HC.

44 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Just a perfect scenario for some sucker to spend $7-8 BILLION Canadian just to get an NFL expansion franchise & build a new 75000 seat stadium. As well as offices, workout & training facilities for Toronto. Oh, then pay all the players in US funds.... And the NFL doesn't want MLSE to own the team. They only allow individual owners. Good luck, Toronto NFL freaks. can you imagine ticket prices in canadian funds. It would be unaffordable for the average fan. I'd bet a lot of Bills fans in Southern Ontario would just keep their season tickets & continue to go to games in Buffalo. 

There are no owners who pay for their own stadiums or arenas.  

It's stupid but true.

20 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

True but what government is giving Toronto the 2-3 billion to build a stadium?

None. Doesn't happen in Canada at the provincial level. That's a federal money ask. Could you imagine trying to explain to the citizens of Calgary why they have to attend games in a garbage dump but are paying for an NFL stadium in Toronto.

Edited by GCn20

17 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

None. Doesn't happen in Canada at the provincial level. That's a federal money ask. Could you imagine trying to explain to the citizens of Calgary why they have to attend games in a garbage dump but are paying for an NFL stadium in Toronto.

Now do the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers.

6 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Now do the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers.

Sofi maybe isn't a great comparison because its a showcase build but its recent and it cost 5.5 billion US. Can you see a stadium being built that meets NFL requirements for less than 3-4 billion Canadian? No government gives up the funds for that and who in Canada has the money?

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

If they're keeping O'Day, I can't see him successfully signing top candidates for HC.

Yup, for the same reason they couldn't get an OC last off-season.  Even if he survives, he's still a dead man walking so why would a decent coach want to jump in that tire fire? 

The next GM will want their own pick as HC too so whoever is HC next year, may not be there long.

43 minutes ago, bluto said:

They'll have the pick of the litter. 

Flagship franchise, something, something.

I keep seeing that and I keep getting a bile-like taste in my mouth.  To the best of my recall - wasn't that a one or two year thing?

Isn't that like calling the Vegas Knights the NHL's "flagship" franchise?

16 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Sofi maybe isn't a great comparison because its a showcase build but its recent and it cost 5.5 billion US. Can you see a stadium being built that meets NFL requirements for less than 3-4 billion Canadian? No government gives up the funds for that and who in Canada has the money?

I can't, but I also won't guarantee that certain governments won't do incredibly stupid things.

1 hour ago, bustamente said:

NFL has all but given up on the Toronto market for a franchise, they have their eyes set on Europe with ready made stadiums, all they need are owners and viola a European division is born.

Buffalo Bills own the territory anyhow. It would cost an additional billion just to buy them out. 

6 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Calgary? Trudeau & the Liberals don't give a care about Calgary. 

10 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Saskatchewan is the worst franchise in the history of NA sports and historically always bad. 

Truth. They are in a must win situation today.  Considering what the standings were a few weeks ago, that is absolutely ridiculous. They are in tough now - the Argos have not been lying down for anyone. This was my prediction.

22 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Truth. They are in a must win situation today.  Considering what the standings were a few weeks ago, that is absolutely ridiculous. They are in tough now - the Argos have not been lying down for anyone. This was my prediction.

Same.scriptbas last year...lose out the season...and this yr they were what..up 2 games after Labour Day...win one game and they'd be in...and couldn't...and can't see them winning today...T.O will rip em a new one today...and will be fun to watch on their fam appreciation day...of about 21k 

Now that first place has been clinched, I hope the team uses the next two games to audition some of the PR players who haven't gotten a chance to do much this year.

Roster Celestin Haba and TyJuan Garbutt and see what they can do!

Give Tyrique McGhee a start or two and see if he's a future starter. They kept him instead of ADS after all!

Maybe start Drew Richmond for a a game or two? Start Dobson or Tui for Patty?

Rest Biggie and give Brian Cole a shot? Maybe even the kid Ravi who was kept over Agudosi?

A lot of possibilities for us to see if the young guys can actually ball!

Edited by bluedawg

22 minutes ago, bluedawg said:

Now that first place has been clinched, I hope the team uses the next two games to audition some of the PR players who haven't gotten a chance to do much this year.

Roster Celestin Haba and TyJuan Garbutt and see what they can do!

Give Tyrique McGhee a start or two and see if he's a future starter. They kept him instead of ADS after all!

Maybe start Drew Richmond for a a game or two? Start Dobson or Tui for Patty?

Rest Biggie and give Brian Cole a shot? Maybe even the kid Ravi who was kept over Agudosi?

A lot of possibilities for us to see if the young guys can actually ball!

They won't today as the depth chart was previously released but hopefully next week. I'm not sure tho, honestly I think our starters could use the reps. We get a bye... BC will host sask or Calgary in the western semi while we sit at home watching. Not sure resting players is a good idea when u basically got 2 almost 3 weeks now until your next meaningful game 

Edited by Goalie

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Ummmmm not completely accurate just as a friendly reminder the Argos put their third string qb in at a critical moment while the game was still on the line against us, ie here’s the game for you on a platter if you want cuz all we care about is reps, not showing you anything blah blah blah.

Edited by HardCoreBlue