CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yup....37....trucking his ass downfield on runs throwing guys 15 yrs his junior out of the way...not to mention old broken down Hardrick pancaking guys all game....He musta did that to Thurman and Bennet 3 times I noticed...and on a few other run plays was just rolling over guys....yup...they old and washed up

People forgot they were dinged most of last season. Apparently the offseason was good to them cause they were ******* good in game 1. Fountain of youth indeed.

40 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yup....37....trucking his ass downfield on runs throwing guys 15 yrs his junior out of the way...not to mention old broken down Hardrick pancaking guys all game....He musta did that to Thurman and Bennet 3 times I noticed...and on a few other run plays was just rolling over guys....yup...they old and washed up

Hardrick was PFF highest rated lineman last week.

56 minutes ago, Booch said:

If they can end the season close to that healthy it’ll be a painful play offs for our competitors. 

Bryant reminded me of Larry Allen bolting down field to make a td saving tackle on a pick. 
 With Dobsons improvements, Eli getting healthy, and Jackson added to the blocking scheme you have a terrifying prospect for defenders. Especially in the run game. Not to mention the WRs flying around hitting dbs and lbers. Brady is poised for a monster year. 

30 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

If they can end the season close to that healthy it’ll be a painful play offs for our competitors. 

Bryant reminded me of Larry Allen bolting down field to make a td saving tackle on a pick. 
 With Dobsons improvements, Eli getting healthy, and Jackson added to the blocking scheme you have a terrifying prospect for defenders. Especially in the run game. Not to mention the WRs flying around hitting dbs and lbers. Brady is poised for a monster year. 

You really could see it this weekend...the difference with what our receivers do downfield, and even in the box blocking, compared to the other teams....a couple of the games I watched was almost embarrassing to see....so not vested into the team first thing...and yeah...I know big Stan was pretty much banged up all yr last yr, but you would have never known it other than basically not practicing at all

52 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Yeah Yosh had a big game...he was just trucking dudes all game and was right psyched and animated too...he's a beast

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

https://www.pff.com/news/cfl-week-1-pff-team-of-the-week-player-awards

the other off grades. No surprise Bryant was the second highest T. Demski Houston and collaros aren’t surprises either. Woli was a bit. Willy must’ve been close. 

https://www.tsn.ca/calgary-stampeders-rb-ka-deem-carey-placed-on-six-game-injured-list-1.1973140

Calgary Stampeders running back Ka'Deem Carey was placed on the six-game injured list on Wednesday, after he was spotted in a walking boot at practice on Tuesday, TSN's Salim Valji reports.

Karey, 30, carried the ball seven times for 42 yards in the Stampeders' 25-15 season-opening defeat against the BC Lions last Thursday. 

Valji also noted that OL Hugh Thornton has been ruled out of this Thursday's matchup with the Ottawa Redblacks, and that WR Luther Hakunavanhu is considered a game-time decision, as he deals with a knee injury. 

Defensive back and former NFLer Natrell Jamerson, who collided with a teammate in practice during the pre-season and missed the season opener, will also miss the game against the Redblacks.  

Carey was an All-Star with Calgary last season after rushing for a league-leading 1,088 yards and 10 touchdowns. 

The BC Lions cancelled their Wednesday practice after offensive lineman Phil Norman incurred a medical episode.

“Prior to practice, offensive lineman Phil Norman suffered a significant medical episode," the team said in a statement. "Phil is currently conscious and alert and is receiving full medical attention. The remainder of today’s activity has been cancelled.”

Hope dude is ok. Sounds scary 

I have no real beefs with Ambrosie, per se, and Al's rage actually makes me think Ambrosie is actually doing a pretty good job........ having said that, trying to force a square peg into a round hole by putting a team in a "temporary" stadium that sits maybe 10k at most, is so ******* bush league and would look so bad on TV. I know they're desperate to even out the schedule, but rushing this situation is an acme dynamite kit.........poof......... 

Randy Ambroise's obsession with establishing a CFL team in Atlantic Canada is detrimental to the league's day-to-day operations, as he prioritizes his personal legacy over the immediate needs and challenges facing the CFL. His single-minded focus on expansion neglects crucial aspects such as improving broadcast quality, increasing viewership, and addressing pressing issues like the nationalized American rule, ultimately putting the stability and success of the league at risk.

10 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The stats thing is egregious especially if the league is looking at gambling as a significant source of revenue.

YEAH....You can only see like the top 3...4 guys?...like wtf is that?

23 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The stats thing is egregious especially if the league is looking at gambling as a significant source of revenue.

I just don't see why it's not working at all?  If I was able to view stats with ease even 15 years ago... why is it a problem now? 

In a similar vein to our politicians, old man Ambroise and the CFL leadership showcase a limited grasp of technology, evident in their disregard for the potential of digital platforms. Their indifference towards the significance of a well-maintained website reflects a failure to recognize the value of online engagement and the accessibility it offers to fans. Stats are in the newspaper the day after the game and that's good enough for them apparently.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I have no real beefs with Ambrosie, per se, and Al's rage actually makes me think Ambrosie is actually doing a pretty good job........ having said that, trying to force a square peg into a round hole by putting a team in a "temporary" stadium that sits maybe 10k at most, is so ******* bush league and would look so bad on TV. I know they're desperate to even out the schedule, but rushing this situation is an acme dynamite kit.........poof......... 

The Schooners have been in concept since 1984, so I wouldn't say anything has been rushed.  If there's no money or enthusiasm to proceed, time to seek a better location.

56 minutes ago, Booch said:

YEAH....You can only see like the top 3...4 guys?...like wtf is that?

Temporary solution I know, but TSN carries up to date stats.

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/statistics

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

The stadium thing might be a necessity. I can’t imagine a scenario where a football stadium like ours or the Riders’ is built again.

17 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

The Schooners have been in concept since 1984, so I wouldn't say anything has been rushed.  If there's no money or enthusiasm to proceed, time to seek a better location.

Temporary solution I know, but TSN carries up to date stats.

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/statistics

They have no live stats during games though.

Pretty unbelievable in 2023, on both TSN and CFL.

2 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

"No stadium, no ownership group with necessary funds, not a huge population, an area with a lack of potential corporate sponsors = Atlantic Canada is not a viable place for a team. "

RebusRankin on MBB

Feel free to quote me. 

And the bigger problem is the "no stadium" piece is the same in many markets and the "no ownership piece" tends to be cyclical as well.  The league needs to start worrying about Calgary.  Montreal is a mess and likely unsustainable without some kind of long-term stadium solution.  10 teams is a pipe dream IMO.  

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

And the bigger problem is the "no stadium" piece is the same in many markets and the "no ownership piece" tends to be cyclical as well.  The league needs to start worrying about Calgary.  Montreal is a mess and likely unsustainable without some kind of long-term stadium solution.  10 teams is a pipe dream IMO.  

Yup focus efforts on the existing teams and their needs before even thinking expansion.

pff wants input

PFF's CFL Content - What do you want to see?

Hey r/CFL! I'm PFF's resident Canadian and have been for quite some time (there's a few of us here now). As some of you may have already seen, after years of me begging for us to do CFL, we have officially partnered with the league! 

Obviously the main part of that partnership is our data, as we will be grading and analyzing the 2023 CFL season and the seasons to come. But another part of it is content, and covering the CFL on the media side of our company. I know personally I want to use our platform at PFF to help spread the word about the CFL to an audience that likely does not know much about it. The CFL has great players and a great style of football that I think a lot of American football fans would love if they gave us a chance. So that's certainly one of my goals. 

We've already started with some content, I've attached a few links below to show what we've done so far, to give you an idea of the content that we've been trying for. 

But we want to hear from you as well! You guys have been watching the game for years. You've seen how it's been covered here (and how little its been covered in America). We're very interested in hearing what kind of content you'd like to see from us. Whether it be interviews, data-driven studies, recaps, previews, etc, you name it. If there's anything that you think has been missing from a CFL content standpoint, please let me know. 

We think there's a huge opportunity for us to help push the CFL to a larger audience, and we want true CFL fans to help us do it. So please feel free to respond to this post, or message me, if you have any ideas or suggestions. Thanks, and looking forward to hopefully hearing from you all!.

reddit