2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

15 hours ago, Mr. Perfect said:

Unfortunate about Kongbo but not the end of the world. If it wasn't for his passport he'd be just another slightly above average pass rusher.

If you had only stopped at the end of the first sentence.  The problem is that you do have to take the passport into account because that's part of the whole package. Sort of like saying "If it wasn't for his drive, Milt would have been just another slightly above average receiver."

24 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

If you had only stopped at the end of the first sentence.  The problem is that you do have to take the passport into account because that's part of the whole package. Sort of like saying "If it wasn't for his drive, Milt would have been just another slightly above average receiver."

Except that drive and passport are two completely different and unrelated things… @Mr. Perfect is correct that Kongbo was never spectacular here… his biggest contribution was providing competent reps so Willie and Jeffcoat could stay fresh… the question is not about what Kongbo was but what can he become given the opportunity… I think we’d all love to have him back but it’s not necessarily earth shattering 

Edited by bearpants

6 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Except that drive and passport are two completely different and unrelated things… @Mr. Perfect is correct that Kongbo was never spectacular here… his biggest contribution was providing competent reps so Willie and Jeffcoat could stay fresh… the question is not about what Kongbo was but what can he become given the opportunity… I think we’d all love to have him back but it’s not necessarily earth shattering 

The point is that you have to consider all the things that a player brings.  Yes, passport (nationality) and physical assets are different, but both are what a player brings to the table.  And, I did agree with his first sentence, thus the suggestion that if only he had stopped there...

17 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Kongbo had some spectacular plays. You're crazy if you think he's just another pass rusher. Assuming he is the same as 2021, he will be a difference maker for the Lions.

He was as much a solid all round defensive end as he is a pass rusher. 

Edited by wbbfan

Kongbo is what Kongbo is.  The bigger issue competitively is when healthy BC can have 3 of Betts, Kongbo, Menard, Cherry, Hladik, Lokombo on the field at all times and stack their secondary and offense with more imports.  But they still have to hope for a Dane Evans revival.  All of those Canadians on D for BC are better players when they only need to play 30 snaps a game though. 

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

31 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Radio guys said the nearby baseball facility has now been condemned, no place left to play semi-pro ball.

This city has 1.6 million people & the worst facilities in North America. We have a multi billionaire  who owns the Flames, Stamps, Warriors, Roughnecks & Hitmen. He refuses to spend any money on players or facilities. I've never seen such horrible ownership. It's certainly is terrible to see how things have turned out here in Calgary for once proud franchises like the Flames & Stamps. Edwards lives in Switzerland so he doesn't have to pay Canadian income tax. He refuses to lift a finger or spend a penny on anything. 

To me, Edwards is ******* scum. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

really good to be  watching CFL football again.

That was quite a bit better than some of the preseason games of a few years ago. 

both teams looked organized. 

looked like stumps have a few new monster size D lineman. 

(maybe not new)

locksley doesnt look very good, I dont think he can complete much over ten or fifteen yards, and not a great runner. 

Edited by Mark F

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

really good to be  watching CFL football again.

That was quite a bit better than some of the preseason games of a few years ago. 

both teams looked organized. 

looked like stumps have a few new monster size D lineman. 

(maybe not new)

locksley doesnt look very good, I dont think he can complete much over ten or fifteen yards, and not a great runner. 

Locksley looked like an interception machine in search of a team that will give him the opportunity to perfect his craft.  Chunky Bonner the last QB for the Stamps, looks like he might be a keeper.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Long weekend, rain in the forecast, general calgary fan apathy... yeah this one was always going to be tough to sell.

My friend is a big Stamps fan. His father played for Calgary back in the 60's. He was going to practice last week & he sent me pictures. There were never more than 10 or 12 fans there at the prctices each time & just a couple of media. The entire stadium was deserted in the stands. it's never been this bad with apathy. He said that one of the Stampeder alumni told him that the team has less than 6,000 season tickets.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

https://3downnation.com/2023/05/23/toronto-argonauts-unveil-new-uniforms-for-150th-anniversary/

Like their helmets, that’s about it.
Number font is awful, looks like a knock-off Titans jersey.

They also have the Oregon winged shoulder pattern which designers are obsessed with slapping on every new set these days. This time, it’s “oars” 
I may be in the minority but I can’t stand the mono look for football uniforms.  Our current alts as well annoy me for this reason. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

https://3downnation.com/2023/05/23/toronto-argonauts-unveil-new-uniforms-for-150th-anniversary/

Like their helmets, that’s about it.
Number font is awful, looks like a knock-off Titans jersey.

They also have the Oregon winged shoulder pattern which designers are obsessed with slapping on every new set these days. This time, it’s “oars” 
I may be in the minority but I can’t stand the mono look for football uniforms.  Our current alts as well annoy me for this reason. 

Ohhhh those are Oars on the shoulders? I thought they were outlines of each of their  10 fans they have.