2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

Tweet

1fBCs5eg_normal.jpg

I’d do something like this on the #Bombers, but really, somebody tell me a starting spot Winnipeg needs to fill.
Quote Tweet
With rookie camp wrapping up, @jamienye gives you the top battles to watch come Sunday when main camp opens in Saskatoon. What's on your list #RidersNation?

Lol, a little snark from Bauming......

2 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Tweet

1fBCs5eg_normal.jpg

I’d do something like this on the #Bombers, but really, somebody tell me a starting spot Winnipeg needs to fill.
Quote Tweet
With rookie camp wrapping up, @jamienye gives you the top battles to watch come Sunday when main camp opens in Saskatoon. What's on your list #RidersNation?

Lol, a little snark from Bauming......

he is right, though.... there's not a ton of real battles in camp. 

19 minutes ago, Noeller said:

he is right, though.... there's not a ton of real battles in camp. 

Not a lot of up for grabs positions any way. 

The big open spot is the 2nd DT spot. Ricky walker is by no means a lock imo. Next up is centre, I think Eli is taking it. I also think Dobson will make a re fight for a starting guard spot. 
 5th wr will see a lot of talent fighting for the spot, but it’s hard to also be a better blocker and culture driver. 

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Not a lot of up for grabs positions any way. 

The big open spot is the 2nd DT spot. Ricky walker is by no means a lock imo. Next up is centre, I think Eli is taking it. I also think Dobson will make a re fight for a starting guard spot. 
 5th wr will see a lot of talent fighting for the spot, but it’s hard to also be a better blocker and culture driver. 

I think there's a chance that Wade ends up in the mix for a starting linebacker spot.

20 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I think there's a chance that Wade ends up in the mix for a starting linebacker spot.

I will reserve judgement on Wade until actually seeing him play. Every year there is a guy who is hyped that is among the first releases. One year we had a MAC that was supposed to change the world go out in first cuts lol. Can't remember his name but boy we hyped the crap out of him and then poof he was gone. Wish I could remember his name. He was used as a cautionary tale about expectations for many years after.

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

that will depend entirely on how Kyrie Wilson looks post-injury....

It will depend more on whether Wade is as good as we think he is.

Edited by GCn20

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I will reserve judgement on Wade until actually seeing him play. Every year there is a guy who is hyped that is among the first releases. One year we had a MAC that was supposed to change the world go out in first cuts lol. Can't remember his name but boy we hyped the crap out of him and then poof he was gone. Wish I could remember his name. He was used as a cautionary tale about expectations for many years after.

he didn't go out in the first round of cuts, but Kyle Knox was a guy that I had hope for and didn't pan out....

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

he didn't go out in the first round of cuts, but Kyle Knox was a guy that I had hope for and didn't pan out....

No it wasn't Knox...he actually made the team I think and was here for a year but yea definitely a guy that looked like a budding star in limited time and then flamed out. Guy I'm thinking of was before Knox. I think maybe even towards the end of the Taman era? Big pedigree and reports out of camp were sensational and it started us all on a frenzy of how good this guy would be....and then we cut him...lol. Wish I could remember his name. Biggest swing and miss I ever saw from our various forum members TC reports. I'm thinking Mike might remember as he was pretty active during TCs back then?

Edited by GCn20

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

No it wasn't Knox...he actually made the team I think and was here for a year but yea definitely a guy that looked like a budding star in limited time and then flamed out. Guy I'm thinking of was before Knox. I think maybe even towards the end of the Taman era? Big pedigree and reports out of camp were sensational and it started us all on a frenzy of how good this guy would be....and then we cut him...lol. Wish I could remember his name. Biggest swing and miss I ever saw from our various forum members TC reports. 

wasnt last name Ortiz or something like that?

On 2023-05-11 at 11:15 AM, wbbfan said:

Legs avg ko last year was 4 yards deeper than Sergio’s, who had the worst gross ko distance avg of any player with more than 4 kick offs. His 2019 average was even worse.  
 Legs is a bit better than league average and Castillo is one of the worst kick off guys in the league. 

Don't really care about last year tbh for Castillo.  2021 his distance and net were better than Liegghio's 2021 or 2022.  I don't really see him not doing kickoffs if he's on the roster.

42 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

When I first read this I thought wade miller lmao. I’d probably still take him in kick cover.

I do totally agree though. If kyrie is hobbled or reduced I can see that. If it’s pre injury kyrie then I don’t see it but it might be a rotation too which could be good for biggie and kyrie. 

14 minutes ago, Booch said:

Tony Ortiz. Mr training camp modp. I swear he was in 4 camps here and never stayed healthy but looked amazing in each. 

6 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Don't really care about last year tbh for Castillo.  2021 his distance and net were better than Liegghio's 2021 or 2022.  I don't really see him not doing kickoffs if he's on the roster.

2021 was 10 total kicks lol. His career avg ko is worse than legs worst year. 

36 minutes ago, Booch said:

for the longest time I was convinced that you were either Ortiz or Ortega........ and I'm not saying you're not, but in offline convos with buddies from this board, I was convinced you were one of them....... :)

23 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Duane Slay is who I was thinking of, but Ortiz fits as well.

Dwayne Slay is one of those weird ones that still doesn’t make any sense. He was the Big 12 DPOTY in 2005, was a projected first rounder then goes undrafted after absolutely tanking the combine and gets cut by Arena league teams and the Bombers all within a year.

I remember I thought Kenny Randall was going to make it last year.

Wade is definitely my pick this year, but I’m thinking this new DT we signed yesterday has a good shot too. 

41 minutes ago, Noeller said:

the Stove may be done for good....

Sucks. Though at his age and wear and tear he could stage another come back possibly. If he got healthy I’d still give him a look. 
Makes me glad bc gave him that fat contact in free agency. 

31 minutes ago, Mike said:

Dwayne Slay is one of those weird ones that still doesn’t make any sense. He was the Big 12 DPOTY in 2005, was a projected first rounder then goes undrafted after absolutely tanking the combine and gets cut by Arena league teams and the Bombers all within a year.

Wade is definitely my pick this year, but I’m thinking this new DT we signed yesterday has a good shot too. 

Beckett Taylor and Wade are certainly the prime candidates for TC MOR who goes Mia or under performs. 

the previous 2 years we had that de, Montgomery? Close to Willy sized top notch school with a big pass rush pedigree. Even came in mid season the second year and looked amazing in a few snaps in one game. Sack or two tfl and a couple pressures. Then gets cut and no one gives him a look. 

I feel like out side of qbs and neg listers cfl teams aren’t scouting other teams camps nearly as well as they used to. Possibly from the ballooning of tc rosters and front office salary caps. You don’t see nearly as much tc stand outs getting picked up by other teams any more. 

On 2023-05-13 at 2:15 PM, Mike said:

Slay looked great the first few days and the hype machine was rolling on him iirc. Then he completely checked out for some reason and was gone a couple days later. It was baffling.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Slay looked great the first few days and the hype machine was rolling on him iirc. Then he completely checked out for some reason and was gone a couple days later. It was baffling.

When something like this happens, almost inevitably its about personal conduct issues.

55 minutes ago, Tracker said:

When something like this happens, almost inevitably its about personal conduct issues.

I don't think so. I think he read the press clippings and decided he didn't need to compete for his spot anymore. Observers at the time said he was half-arsing it in his last 2-3 days and the Bombers said buh-bye. Won't rule out PCI though, could be that as well.

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Elks going all in on TC as their QB. I hope they're right for the health of that organization (and the CFL as a whole) but jeez as an armchair non qualified QB talent scout, I'm not seeing him as an elite CFL QB.

He at least is healthy ,  mobile , and has an arm.   So already in a better position then the Als :D