2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

39 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Yup, Bombers were close apparently but with our current OL, I think that money is better spent elsewhere.  Good for him though and better Ottawa than Regina!

yup..we prob had a max...but wouldnt go past to ruin other parts of the team and SMS balance...also nice to see the Riders tried...and were given the thanks but no thanks haha'

Seeing Desjarlais sign with Ottawa originally gave me sad feelings... but then I thought about the quality of interior linemen we currently have (Neufeld, Dobson, Eli, Gray) and it made me feel better... then seeing his salary... my thoughts have now changed to good for him, happy he got his payday... and I'm glad we passed on that amount.

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

17to85 said to me "this feels like the Sukh Chung thing all over again..." and that might be about right. Wildly over-paying for a Guard that is supposed to be the core of their OL but never really lived up to it. Definitely possible.....

Agreed. Nearly 300K per season for a guard is pretty crazy.

Yeah there is just no way in my mind you can justify sinking that much into one guy... the Bombers strength for the last several years has been their depth and the ability to plug and play guys everywhere. you start having salaries that huge you impact your depth and you wind up like the riders bitching and moaning about every starter that gets hurt.

Bombers still got one of if not the best offensive lines in the league we will be fine, but man I would have loved to see Desjarlais back here. 

36 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah there is just no way in my mind you can justify sinking that much into one guy... the Bombers strength for the last several years has been their depth and the ability to plug and play guys everywhere. you start having salaries that huge you impact your depth and you wind up like the riders bitching and moaning about every starter that gets hurt.

Bombers still got one of if not the best offensive lines in the league we will be fine, but man I would have loved to see Desjarlais back here. 

If I am the Riders I would have paid what it took to get him. They could justify it. We can't though, not with the pre-existing talent. Funny how that works, the Riders have made yet another massive mistake by not getting him under contract, and we probably dodged a bullet by not taking on that contract.

50 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

we have unquestioned the best in the league....and not over paying anyone on it...there in is the rub thats allowed us to be successfull for yrs now...took B.C several years to climb out of that Chungh overpay...and Reilly contract....and their window was last yr...and it slammed shut on them....for now

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

17to85 said to me "this feels like the Sukh Chung thing all over again..." and that might be about right. Wildly over-paying for a Guard that is supposed to be the core of their OL but never really lived up to it. Definitely possible.....

Drew is worlds better than suhk. Suhk was good on a great line desjarlais was great on a great line. 

19 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

The Bombers apparently were also in on Desjarlais per Hodge.

Heart breaking. Though gray Dobson and Eli is a ton of depth. 

1 hour ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Agreed. Nearly 300K per season for a guard is pretty crazy.

Is it crazy money yeah, but if you are gonna give a crazy money contract out I’d give it to a 25 year old with rings fresh off the nfl who happens to be the best at his position in the cfl and is an ni. Far better than giving lawler 300k imo. Or giving blm 500k+ 

15 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Can never have too many good CND OL. There is ALWAYS a trade market for them if you find you’re over loaded.

Desjarlais is also elite, he’s a physical specimen and loves to hit people.

You guys have enough depth for it not to be too much of a concern, and Dobson looks like he’s gonna be among the good ones too.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

If I am the Riders I would have paid what it took to get him. They could justify it. We can't though, not with the pre-existing talent. Funny how that works, the Riders have made yet another massive mistake by not getting him under contract, and we probably dodged a bullet by not taking on that contract.

"it's believed one other team offered more money than the Redblacks" - Tim Baines

lol. Wonder who?