Don't Look Back - 2022/2023 Bombers Off Season

Wideleft

This is stupid. The ball was in the air for a total of 6 feet. Not a single person, not even Legghio himself, could tell you what the result of that kick would have been. Anyone saying otherwise is 100% biased. Seriously....it was left it was low...you got that from the 3 yards it travelled, no angle for context whatsoever, and no idea what the wind was doing? It may have missed....it may have gone in....but to say that Liegghio was to blame for us not getting 3 points is irrational. The ball was knocked down behind the LOS. If you are going to make an argument against Legs as our K then at least use a play where his kick wasn't blocked as your proof of concept.

11 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

This is stupid. The ball was in the air for a total of 6 feet. Not a single person, not even Legghio himself, could tell you what the result of that kick would have been. Anyone saying otherwise is 100% biased. Seriously....it was left it was low...you got that from the 3 yards it travelled, no angle for context whatsoever, and no idea what the wind was doing? It may have missed....it may have gone in....but to say that Liegghio was to blame for us not getting 3 points is irrational. The ball was knocked down behind the LOS. If you are going to make an argument against Legs as our K then at least use a play where his kick wasn't blocked as your proof of concept.

Exactly...like whatever that attempt against MTL in overtime was. I still can't believe a pro kicker did that.

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Word is Bombers signed a punter, Devin Anctil

college teammates with Dalton Schoen … should be announced soon 

EDIT: just looked at the CFL transactions page to see if it was official yet and it is, plus they also seem to have signed former NFL 7th round pick DB Jordan Brown

welllll....if the punter turns out to be anything like Schoen in the talent dept.....we are on to something

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Watch. The. Game. Every kick in that direction moved left to right. 

yeah not too sold on it being a sure miss....watch any field goal...especially ones in conditions...ball rarely is a straight line....and u adjust for conditions....I think if Sayles makes that block...we are sipping on the 3 peat....my opinion but I have seen a lot of field goals both from being on the field and in the stands, and on T.V and you can't say it was gonna miss....or be made for certainty....but if not blocked...I feel like it was going thru....at worst through the endzone

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Feels - It might have gone through.

Reals - It was blocked.

No has said that though so try again. All anyone is saying is no one knows because the kick was blocked.  

Feels - legghio sucks, the kick was going to miss anyway.

36 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I. Watched. The. Game. Thank. You. For. Your. Comment. 

You are still basing your impression of the kick on who kicked it though. You don't know what would happen any more than anyone else, you just know that you don't like the kicker so therefore he must have missed it.

Kicking unit missed it, as there was a missed block....resulting in a blocked kick...team effort...just as when a kick is made....you have protection....good snap...good placement by holder allowing the kicker to not deviate from his timing/method....was ball cockeyed on tee....were laces wrong way....did holder get it down and set a milli second too slow?....lotsa factors have to be ideal. Almost prefect to make a kick, and slight issues from this 9 times outta ten have bad results.....people take for granted each FG/Convert attempt every game and the precision that goes into it....but when a kick is missed the kicker carries the burden....sure there are times when it is 100% a blatant pooch job by the kicker, but many times it's a combination of, or a particular miscue that throws it all off

In the Grey Cup we dont know the result, as one glaring miscue (missed block) made it huge catastrophic error.....The miss vs Montreal on the flip side, to win that game was a bad kick...plain and simple...just as the long range one versus the Riders was a perfect one....it happens

If anything and blame finger pointing/bitching about a player should be done it should be right at our QB's feet as that was the reason we lost, and don't hear the pundits crying for a guy to come in and challenge...take his job...That being said any other game save for the Grey Cup or West Final he would never have seen the field, but we went with the horse who brought us there even though he was severely limited in what he could do...but hats off to ZC for gutting it out and doing his best...but that right there was reason we lost...

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Word is Bombers signed a punter, Devin Anctil

college teammates with Dalton Schoen … should be announced soon 

EDIT: just looked at the CFL transactions page to see if it was official yet and it is, plus they also seem to have signed former NFL 7th round pick DB Jordan Brown

Placekicked in JUCO so not just a punter.

Leggs

Reals (Is this a thing now?) :

7th best FG kicker by %, .1 yard better than 8th.

1 FG >= 50 yards, tied with 2 other kickers for 8th. 

Missed 5 Converts, worst in the league.

Game Winning FG's 2, Ott/Skn

Game Losing misses 2, Mtl/Tor in the freakin GC. 

Ya Buts:

We didn't need him to win most games.

He punted well. 

He's not the only reason we lost. 

4 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Exactly...like whatever that attempt against MTL in overtime was. I still can't believe a pro kicker did that.

There you go. That was an abomination. Talk about that and you will have made a point. I'm certainly not going to defend Leggs. After a terrific first half of the season he really started to get shaky. However, I think we would be stupid to not bring him back and let him compete for both jobs.

Edited by GCn20

10 hours ago, 17to85 said:

You know football better than this. Very few kicks go straight the whole way. 

The point is no one can say what would have happened if that kick wasn't blocked.

You're correct but most kicks bend as they travel. This one was left almost right off the bat. I could tell on the replay Leggs didn't hit it like he should have. i just want to be clear, I think Leggs will be a great punter. I'm just not sure he's a pro kicker. He'll be on the Bomber roster next season in some capacity. 

3 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Sanford was signed by us in 2022 as well. 

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/02/24/blue-bombers-transactions-february-24-2023/?fbclid=IwAR0kSEn2wJ6MhouZhnJd3Ut9KeL-fL0Fyif-26bTITmG3RTQLOWrlIi58jQ

Daramy-Swaray (5-9, 185, Colgate University; born: 6/10/1996) in Columbus, OH) comes to the Blue Bombers after stints with the Cincinnati Bengals last season and most recently with the XFL’s Arlington Renegades. The defensive back also returns kicks, recorded 155 tackles, 25 pass breakups, five interceptions and one sack during his days at Colgate, which included 37 starts in 44 games. He also amassed 1,642 all-purpose yards as a returner and part-time contributor on offence. After college he played for the Potsdam Royals of the German Football League before earning his shot with the Bengals.

Brown (6-0, 197, South Dakota State; born: 26/3/1996 in Omaha, NEB) was a seventh-round pick, 223rd overall, by the Cincinnati Bengals in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Brown played four seasons at SDSU (2015-18) and suited up for 51 games for the Jackrabbits, racking up 148 tackles, eight interceptions, 35 pass breakups and four forced fumbles. He was two-time All-Missouri Valley Football Conference First Team All-Star and served as the team captain in 2018.

Anctil (6-1, 234, Kansas State; born: 28/9/1996 in Lenexa, KS) starred at Kansas State after transferring from Coffeyville Community College. Anctil was a Second Team All-Big 12 with the Wildcats and holds school records for punting average in a season (45.4 yards in 2019) and career punting average (44.8). During his one season at Coffeyville, he earned First-Team All-Region and All-Conference honours.

Sanford (6-5, 300, University of British Columbia; born: 9/19/1998 in Salmon Arm, B.C.) returns to the Blue Bombers after attending training camp last year.

Sanford played with the Thunderbirds from 2016-21 and attended the Canadian Football League’s West Regional Combine last spring.