Don't Look Back - 2022/2023 Bombers Off Season

Wideleft

2 hours ago, bryan35 said:

He let Medlock do it but not Legghio. More like distrust in Legghio making the kick.

He had Matt Nichols as his starting QB and his best receiver was Darvin Adam’s. No disrespect to either of those guys but big difference. We played in a lot of closer games where we needed the 3 points and we left a lot of points on the board as it was settling for 3 instead of 7 in the redzone. Something we don’t often do anymore. 

He let Medlock do it but not Legghio. More like distrust in Legghio making the kick.

He had Matt Nichols as his starting QB and his best receiver was Darvin Adam’s. No disrespect to either of those guys but big difference. We played in a lot of closer games where we needed the 3 points and we left a lot of points on the board as it was settling for 3 instead of 7 in the redzone. Something we don’t often do anymore. 

Since you guys asked and I'm bored ... I went through and looked at the statistics for every game. The amount of times O'Shea opted to punt instead of attempting a 45-49 yard field goal equals a grand total of zero

These are the only ones times we punted from 45 yards in or closer all year. 

Week 1 - punted from OTT 45

Week 2 - punted from OTT 43

Week 3 - punted from HAM 45

WF - punted from BC 44 up 8 points with 2:02 left in the 4Q (that is to say, it would've been idiotic to kick a FG here)

GC - punted from TOR 43 in the 1Q down 3-0

12 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Maybe the most accurate, thought provoking thing I've read on here today. Maybe that's why I read it 6 x over

Mods please leave his post as is so people can lol at my joke 

Edited by CodyT

11 minutes ago, Mike said:

Since you guys asked and I'm bored ... I went through and looked at the statistics for every game. The amount of times O'Shea opted to punt instead of attempting a 45-49 yard field goal equals a grand total of zero

WF - punted from BC 44 up 8 points with 2:02 left in the 4Q (that is to say, it would've been idiotic to kick a FG here)

Good stuff, but (and I'm not saying it's for sure a factor) I'd be curious what the wind situation was at that point in those games....

1 minute ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

So nice had to repeat it twice!!! Or six times..

You're not wrong though. Very good point

Matt Nichols wasn't driving the field hand over fist

12 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Good stuff, but (and I'm not saying it's for sure a factor) I'd be curious what the wind situation was at that point in those games....

Also could you get him to find out what the attendance was, how many people were shouting derogatory terms, if his wife was pissed off at him that day.

You know just the basics

1 hour ago, Mike said:

My bad then. False memories I guess. 

Edited by bryan35

6 minutes ago, bryan35 said:

My bad then. False memories I guess. 

The lesson here is feels don't always equal reals. This is why it's important to show your work. 

As Mike has shown early in the season they opted to punt from a short field, but nothing after that save a situational decision and one in the cold of a Grey Cup. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

The lesson here is feels don't always equal reals. This is why it's important to show your work. 

As Mike has shown early in the season they opted to punt from a short field, but nothing after that save a situational decision and one in the cold of a Grey Cup. 

Hey Teach

Is there a lesson to be learned when their kicker chokes on a potential Grey Cup winning kick? 

5 hours ago, bryan35 said:

When a coach chooses to punt instead of a 43 or 45 yard field goal attempt then that says something about the kicker. Not questioning the 50 yard plus field goals.

Doesn’t take much of a wind speed head on to turn a 43 into the equivalent of a 53 yarder. And a cross wind on a long fg is about as good as a Hail Mary. 

4 hours ago, bryan35 said:

So is everyone here saying they are happy with the placekicking by Legghio? Keep going with his level of play? No need to bring in serious competition?

I'm not saying cut him today but I think he needs to improve soon.

What do you suggest the bombers do? Serious competition like who exactly? And how do you plan to fit them in the sms? Any rookie kicker isn’t going to be serious competition in their first camp in the cfl. Look at how long Sergio took to turn into a good pro. 

if legs brings up his consistency just a bit from his average performance last year we have the best ni three job kicker in the league and the cheapest. Who is also still very young. It’s always good to have an extra leg in camp to keep the no1 fresh, push them a bit and have a back up plan if they go down. Which I fully expect we will. Probably a multi job global or ni. Not likely a top prospect at the level of legs when he came here. 

37 minutes ago, bryan35 said:

Hey Teach

Is there a lesson to be learned when their kicker chokes on a potential Grey Cup winning kick? 

Is there one for buck taking the ball out of collaros hands and having prukop throw? We had a TON of chokes in the gc. 
 Zach threw for 183 1 pick no tds. Schoen had 2 bad drops and wasn’t the only wr with one. Wj had 0 tackles 1 teams tackle no pass kds no sacks no tfl no pressures. Bighill had a similar line with just 1 tackle. Rose was attacked a lot.

Easily a half dozen guys had the chance to make 1 play and win the game for us. You can’t look at legs and blame him. The block wasn’t on him either. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Speaking of kicker competition. Would Mourtada count as a Nationalized American under the new rules? Granted he kind of sucks, I’m just wondering. 

I think he counts as a naturalized thai-bo jazzercise gymkata instructor in the cfl. Atleast as much as he counts as a player any way.  

Edited by wbbfan

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

What do you suggest the bombers do? Serious competition like who exactly? And how do you plan to fit them in the sms? Any rookie kicker isn’t going to be serious competition in their first camp in the cfl. Look at how long Sergio took to turn into a good pro. 

I suggest the scouting department look into it. Lots of kickers out there. Same thing they do at all the other positions.

1 minute ago, bryan35 said:

I suggest the scouting department look into it. Lots of kickers out there. Same thing they do at all the other positions.

They do that every year. They don’t just ignore positions. They look for talent no matter the roster. 
 Lots of kickers like moutada. Not a lot of good kickers. Look at the guys who keep floating around the nfl. The talent gap in kickers has never been bigger. Few great ones lots of filler. 
 No rookie kicker is going to come in and be serious competition. 

People often forget that for a rookie kicker to come in and take Legz job. He has to be so good that the coaches forget about his passport. And if he is that good, chances are that rookie will be heading south sooner than later... these are things teams have to keep in mind. It's just part of the game. Legs doing all 3 jobs AND being Canadian absolutely gives him a longer leash. 

10 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

People often forget that for a rookie kicker to come in and take Legz job. He has to be so good that the coaches forget about his passport. And if he is that good, chances are that rookie will be heading south sooner than later... these are things teams have to keep in mind. It's just part of the game. Legs doing all 3 jobs AND being Canadian absolutely gives him a longer leash. 

Yep. The chances of some one taking all 3 jobs is extraordinarily slim which means we’d eat up cash and a di spot on a kicker while pushing legs progress back. 
 Only 2 ways legs isn’t our kicker out of camp. We hit a schoen level generational rookie, or he gets hurt. Some one will be brought in for camp, but very likely not a vet and not a blue chipper. 

1 2022 WHYTE, Sean BC 16 39 36 92.3 50 1 10 5 14 6 1 49 48
2 2022 SMALL, Seth HAM 13 43 39 90.7 58 2 4 10 15 6 4 26 25
3 2022 PAREDES, Rene CGY 17 60 54 90.0 53 1 7 12 21 9 5 45 43
4 2022 COTE, David MTL 18 51 44 86.3 52 1 12 11 5 14 2 37 36
5 2022 WARD, Lewis OTT 18 57 49 86.0 51 3 10 11 17 8 3 27 25
6 2022 CASTILLO, Sergio EDM 16 44 37 84.1 52 2 4 5 14 11 3 25 22
7 2022 LIEGGHIO, Marc WPG 17 39 32 82.1 55 0 4 9 8 10 1 56 51
8 2022 LAUTHER, Brett SSK 17 50 41 82.0 57 4 6 11 11 9 4 25 23
9 2022 BEDE, Boris TOR 18 55 43 78.2 56 8 8 12 8 12 3 37 34
10 2022 DOMAGALA, Michael HAM 4 16 12 75.0 52 0 1 4 4 2 1 5 4

Legs needs to improve. Seth small a rookie last year?

Edited by bryan35

Lots of nit picking - Remember was it the Burke days where in the 4th quarter we would just roll on our back with bellies up and submit to the other team.

Good lord Legs isn't that bad and maybe next Grey Cup we can not throw stupid passes like the Prukop int and maybe carry a large lead?

12 hours ago, bryan35 said:

Hey Teach

Yeah, block for him so the kick doesn't get blocked. Reality is we don't know what would have happened with that kick had it not been blocked. It started left sure but tons of kicks do bend back. We can't say what would have happened. Fact is the kick was blocked so none of that matters. #1 problem on that play was the lack of blocking.

41 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah, block for him so the kick doesn't get blocked. Reality is we don't know what would have happened with that kick had it not been blocked. It started left sure but tons of kicks do bend back. We can't say what would have happened. Fact is the kick was blocked so none of that matters. #1 problem on that play was the lack of blocking.

Don't kid yourself. It was going wide and low. Stop defending a horrible kick.

You must be bored.

Edited by bryan35