Don't Look Back - 2022/2023 Bombers Off Season

Wideleft

42 minutes ago, Noeller said:

The CIS career leader in FG%.... and again this fan base wants immediate results and not letting a kid grow. This is how we end up with great kickers who started with us and ended up on other teams. 

Don't recall Parades needing this much time to grow.  We had him but as a rookie, he wasn't going to unseat Palardy, who was setting franchise records with us.  He goes to Calgary after we cut him, and the rest is history. 

TBF to Leggs, Parades wasn't being asked to do all 3 kicking roles so that's on our coaches for maybe asking too much from a young kicker. 

On 2/5/2023 at 3:18 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Is Andrew Harris a free agent? I haven't heard if he signed with the Argos. So much for him stealing Demski away from the Bombers as some poster suggested might happen.

I really don't care if Harris plays again or not. The way he left like a prima dona for the Argos. In a few years, I'll be happy for the guy when he goes on the Wall of Fame but not right now as I'm still pissed off how he left.

Looks like he's done.

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/famous-cfl-player-returning-to-nanaimo-to-coach-junior-football-team-1.6276789

5 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Don't recall Parades needing this much time to grow.  We had him but as a rookie, he wasn't going to unseat Palardy, who was setting franchise records with us.  He goes to Calgary after we cut him, and the rest is history. 

TBF to Leggs, Parades wasn't being asked to do all 3 kicking roles so that's on our coaches for maybe asking too much from a young kicker. 

Paredes was an impact kicker right away for the Stamps. His very first FG attempt he nailed it from over 50 yards. He always seems relaxed & focused when he kicks. Even when he misses. He just shrugs it off & forgets about it. As he is older now, he has trouble with any kicks over 50 yards. Not with accuracy but leg strength. He rarely kicks anything past 45 yards now.

On 2/18/2023 at 3:22 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

He's lucky it was blocked as he missed it otherwise. Then the shitshow would have really begun. 

Castillo isn't Canadian.

Never said he was.

23 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Paredes was an impact kicker right away for the Stamps. His very first FG attempt he nailed it from over 50 yards. He always seems relaxed & focused when he kicks. Even when he misses. He just shrugs it off & forgets about it. As he is older now, he has trouble with any kicks over 50 yards. Not with accuracy but leg strength. He rarely kicks anything past 45 yards now.

He didn't impress with the bombers. At least not enough to give him a chance. The point im making is that we gave up on all these kickers only to have them excel on other teams.  Let's not make the same mistake again.

Edited by Colin Unger

20 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Never said he was.

He didn't impress with the bombers. At least not enough to give him a chance. The point im making is that we gave up on all these kickers only to have them excel on other teams.  Let's not make the same mistake again.

You seem to think there's some magic way to evaluate talent & always make the right decision. It doesn't work that way. Too many intangibles. We could try to develop Leggs for 5 years & if he doesn't have it well, it was a huge waste of time. But that's how it always works. Some other kicker comes in & nails it right from the start. You see it at every position. There's no right or wrong. As far as the Bombers giving up on Paredes, we had Justin Palardy who was kicking well so he wouldn't have had a good evaluation from the team at the time. I'm not trying to argue with you here. We never gave up on him. We didn't need him. At the time, no one knew he would become an elite kicker.

29 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

We have no idea what the club thought of him but there was zero chance they were going to cut Palardy in favour of a rookie. 

Palardy was coming off a club record breaking season in 2010 (a record he would match in 2012) so it was the right move at the time.  Nobody, Calgary included, knew how Paredes would turn out. 

The point is being missed here.  The point Im making is we have a long history of either giving up on kickers or losing them through other means..  Kicker's we didn't value highly at the time and then those kickers went on to have significant success with other teams. Leggs showed more than enough for a first year place kicker to warrant being the guy next season. 

2 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

The point is being missed here.  The point Im making is we have a long history of either giving up on kickers or losing them through other means..  Kicker's we didn't value highly at the time and then those kickers went on to have significant success with other teams. Leggs showed more than enough for a first year place kicker to warrant being the guy next season. 

Give me the long list of kickers we gave up on other than Hirim. And we gave up on him & signed Medlock so don't tell us it was a mistake.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Allow me to rephrase.   We've brought several good placekickers into the CFL over the past few decades. We have not brought in and kept a decent placekicker since 1989. I hope Leggs is not another kicker to add to the list who we brought into the league and excelled elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

Allow me to rephrase.   We've brought several good placekickers into the CFL over the past few decades. We have not brought in and kept a decent placekicker since 1989. I hope Leggs is not another kicker to add to the list who we brought into the league and excelled elsewhere. 

You must be stuck in 1983 or something. Back when kickers like Passaglia, Ridgeway, Cutler, Kennerd, Organ & others played their entire careers with their CFL team. Very few players today, including kickers & punters play for just one team their entire career. Who cares where we get our kickers from? I don't care if we develop them or not as today they move around not just from tean to team but from league to league. Like Lirim & Castillo. So, they'll probably "excel" with another team anyway. Paredes is the exception with today's kickers & he's retiring after this season.

On 2023-02-19 at 10:28 AM, Noeller said:

The CIS career leader in FG%.... and again this fan base wants immediate results and not letting a kid grow. This is how we end up with great kickers who started with us and ended up on other teams. 

Again, like Colin, I ask you just who are these great kickers you both allude to? Give us some names. Don't say Paredes as that's already been covered. And we replaced Lirim Hajrullahu with Medlock which was a no brainer. American kicker Brent Maher??? Since 2014, when he was releasd by the Bombers he's been with 11 CFL & NFL teams. How can a team develop a vagabond kicker whose only interest is to chase the money like that??? Take away those 3 names in the last decade to 15 years, then who are you talking about?

Edited by SpeedFlex27

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Again, like Colin, I ask you just who are these great kickers you both allude to? Give us some names. Don't say Paredes as that's already been covered. And we replaced Lirim Hajrullahu with Medlock which was a no brainer. American kicker Brent Maher??? Since 2014, when he was releasd by the Bombers he's been with 11 CFL & NFL teams. How can a team develop a vagabond kicker whose only interest is to chase the money like that??? Take away those 3 names in the last decade to 15 years, then who are you talking about?

I think another important question that had yet to be asked is. Does it matter? 

14 hours ago, Nolby said:

Legghio definitely has a longer leash being Canadian

His leash also got longer last year spending a big chunk of the year at around 90% on fgs and doing a tremendous job punting and kicking off. He dropped off late, but gave a lot of hope that he can translate his college success and excel long term in all three jobs. 

I wonder if that global Hackett is in camp this year punting. 

For a good part of last year it seemed Legghio was coddled. We punted a number of times when we could have gone for field goals. Not many fans have faith in him at this point. His kick at the end of the Grey Cup was low and left. Probably wouldn't have been blocked if he hit it properly.

Think he should have a short leash this year. 

Edited by bryan35

1 hour ago, bryan35 said:

For a good part of last year it seemed Legghio was coddled. We punted a number of times when we could have gone for field goals. Not many fans have faith in him at this point. His kick at the end of the Grey Cup was low and left. Probably wouldn't have been blocked if he hit it properly.

Think he should have a short leash this year. 

Mos in general is conservative with long fgs outside of medlock. 
He won’t. 

40 minutes ago, bryan35 said:

So he lacks faith in Legghio's range. A common consensus of the fans. lol

No he values field position, big difference. He puts trust in Legghio to pin them deep, he puts trust in the D to do their job and he knows once we get the ball back on a short field we’re going to be putting up touchdowns more often then not. 

3 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

No he values field position, big difference. He puts trust in Legghio to pin them deep, he puts trust in the D to do their job and he knows once we get the ball back on a short field we’re going to be putting up touchdowns more often then not. 

He let Medlock do it but not Legghio. More like distrust in Legghio making the kick.