Don't Look Back - 2022/2023 Bombers Off Season

Wideleft

51 minutes ago, bryan35 said:

So he lacks faith in Legghio's range. A common consensus of the fans. lol

He understands the high risk low reward situation of trying 50 yarders with regularity. Unless your name is Justin medlock.

Also note that in 22 the average nfl kickers make rate from 50 was just 72%. I would bet it’s handily 15-20% worse in the cfl in the last two seasons. 
 Then legs also hit from 55 last year and has 3 game winning 50s in his time here. 

A confederacy of dunces also  generates a common consensus. 

8 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

No he values field position, big difference. He puts trust in Legghio to pin them deep, he puts trust in the D to do their job and he knows once we get the ball back on a short field we’re going to be putting up touchdowns more often then not. 

Yep. And he understands the risk of td or big returns on fg kicks that long. 
 Plus he has good reason to have faith in our defense holding teams that are pinned deep. 

The amount of safety’s forced by the D directly or by stopping a team pinned inside the 10 is tremendous during the mos era. Not to mention turn overs and defensive tds. 

personally I love the gamble to get a safety and the ball for our offense over trying a long fg. 
 Plus the option for teams to punt to grant with him getting the ball around center field is tremendous. 
Unless the punt is shanked, or the other teams offense gets back to back first downs punting instead of trying a 50 yard field goal is generally a winning move. Especially here. 

the punts I don’t like are the mid field ones. Our 50 to their 35 after the return isn’t a good exchange but one most every ones goes for. Especially on 3rd and 6-7 or less. A mostly automatic pass for collaros. 

9 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

He understands the high risk low reward situation of trying 50 yarders with regularity. Unless your name is Justin medlock.

Also note that in 22 the average nfl kickers make rate from 50 was just 72%. I would bet it’s handily 15-20% worse in the cfl in the last two seasons. 
 Then legs also hit from 55 last year and has 3 game winning 50s in his time here. 

A confederacy of dunces also  generates a common consensus. 

Yep. And he understands the risk of td or big returns on fg kicks that long. 
 Plus he has good reason to have faith in our defense holding teams that are pinned deep. 

The amount of safety’s forced by the D directly or by stopping a team pinned inside the 10 is tremendous during the mos era. Not to mention turn overs and defensive tds. 

personally I love the gamble to get a safety and the ball for our offense over trying a long fg. 
 Plus the option for teams to punt to grant with him getting the ball around center field is tremendous. 
Unless the punt is shanked, or the other teams offense gets back to back first downs punting instead of trying a 50 yard field goal is generally a winning move. Especially here. 

the punts I don’t like are the mid field ones. Our 50 to their 35 after the return isn’t a good exchange but one most every ones goes for. Especially on 3rd and 6-7 or less. A mostly automatic pass for collaros. 

When a coach chooses to punt instead of a 43 or 45 yard field goal attempt then that says something about the kicker. Not questioning the 50 yard plus field goals.

Just now, bryan35 said:

When a coach chooses to punt instead of a 43 or 45 yard field goal attempt then that says something about the kicker. Not questioning the 50 yard plus field goals.

Yeah, it says he really trusts his punter and downfield gunners to pin the other team deep...... though I'd love to see the hard numbers on how many times they were less than 45 yards and chose to punt (and what the wind conditions were that day)....

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Yeah, it says he really trusts his punter and downfield gunners to pin the other team deep...... though I'd love to see the hard numbers on how many times they were less than 45 yards and chose to punt (and what the wind conditions were that day)....

Or get a better kicker and take the 3pts. Funny how the strategy was different when we had a good field goal kicker.

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

If the bar is Justin Medlock some of you are destined to be disappointed in the kicking for a long long long time

What is your bar set at?

Under normal conditions I'm thinking a coach should feel confident sending out the kicker to attempt a 45-49 yarder. At least a 45 yard attempt he should be highly confident.

Third years for Legs coming up. He needs to show improvement.

Edited by bryan35

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

How many times did he pass up chances for field goals of that length and what were the game circumstances when that happened?

I cant give you exact dates but conditions weren't an issue.  It happening on a number of occasions and I remember thinking Oshea has no confidence in his kicker.

3 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

FIFY.

Also- I don't know of any current kicker that I would trust as much as Medlock, or near as much.

Absolutely.

So is everyone here saying they are happy with the placekicking by Legghio? Keep going with his level of play? No need to bring in serious competition?

I'm not saying cut him today but I think he needs to improve soon.

Edited by bryan35

11 minutes ago, bryan35 said:

So is everyone here saying they are happy with the placekicking by Legghio? Keep going with his level of play? No need to bring in serious competition?

He DID improve....year over year, he's improved.....and he's young.......and with his background, there is a lot of reason to believe he will continue to get better. He's also doing all 3 duties, 2/3 of which he was among the best in the league. You, and the rest of the heavy mouth breathers that think missing converts means we have serious kicking issues, need to relax and have some patience. 

Edited by Noeller

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

He DID improve....year over year, he's improved.....and he's young.......and with his background, there is a lot of reason to believe he will continue to get better. He's also doing all 3 duties, 2/3 of which he was among the best in the league. You, and the rest of the heavy mouth breathers that missing converts means we have serious kicking issues, need to relax and have some patience. 

"You, and the rest of the heavy mouth breathers"

You need to show some class. Someone has a different opinion than yours and you throw out insults? 

Trying to have an intelligent discussion. Don't bother responding if you just need to be right!

Edited by bryan35

win and lose as a team....and will be same this yr as well....if he is a direct result in losses...multiple losses....from extremely bad kicks...multiple in multiple games...he will be replaced...until then we will roll with him and let him develop likely into a top kicker who handles all duties 

44 minutes ago, bryan35 said:

I cant give you exact dates but conditions weren't an issue.  It happening on a number of occasions and I remember thinking Oshea has no confidence in his kicker.

You better start doing your research then because I want you to show me all these examples you are talking about. Tell you what, forget the conditions for now,  show me all the times they passed up on field goals under 50 yards. Start there.

42 minutes ago, bryan35 said:

What is your bar set at?

Under normal conditions I'm thinking a coach should feel confident sending out the kicker to attempt a 45-49 yarder. At least a 45 yard attempt he should be highly confident.

Hopefully our receiving core gives him plenty of practice kicking converts.

I'll take 85% on FGM and 93% on CM for this upcoming season.

As long as he shows gradual improvement and keeps his passport intact. 

57 minutes ago, bryan35 said:

According to the 2 time Grey cup champion General Manager Kyle Walters, you know the guy who built a team that won more regular season games than any other Blue Bomber GM in the history of the franchise,  that is the plan for TC.

Edited by Bigblue204

1 hour ago, bryan35 said:

What is your bar set at?

He’s showed improvement every other year. I expect it to be the same. 

Folks need to remember, regardless of anything he’s still one of the best punters in the country.