Week 12 - Stumps @ Back-To-Back Grey Cup Champions - GDT

JCon

15 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

So its three days later and despite ample discussion, @TBURGESS continues to argue the same points. I have to ask, why man? You keep stating the same things over again and its clear you're not going to convince most people here. Move on.

Some people are slow learners.

See: Colin Robinson from "What we do in the Shadows" to get an idea of how TBurg operates.

3 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

So its three days later and despite ample discussion, @TBURGESS continues to argue the same points. I have to ask, why man? You keep stating the same things over again and its clear you're not going to convince most people here. Move on.

I’m no hot shot on these boards but I can’t bring myself to dignify any of tburg’s posts with even an eyeroll reaction.

In 2021 Bombers blew everyone away and there was literally nothing to argue until the Grey Cup…

This year, apparently the refs and the football gods are giving all their gifts in blue wrapping, and despite clobbering BC, sweeping a gritty stamps team, playing 10 straight games including two short-week away games and now 10-1… it’s still if, but, can’t, won’t with this guy 🤦🏻‍♂️

5 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

You can ask the same question of the other people who are arguing.

It's been 3 days of people arguing the poster instead of the post.

Fact: It wasn't an incomplete pass. It was a fumble. The CC and the replay both prove that. How is this hard for anyone to understand?

The rest of the games this year and the games in 2021 have absolutely nothing to do with the refs mistakenly giving us the ball back in the last game. That's not gift wrapping anything and it's not the ONLY reason we won, but then again I never said either of those things anyway.

Nobody is disagreeing with it being a fumble....its that it originally was called an incomplete pass...whistled dead "before"...which is key here...any immediate possession....so...as per the rules...as crappy as u want to consider them...the fumbling team retains possession at point of fumble...cut and dried...and clearly stated in the rules...so the 3 points we got from it were 100 percent warranted ...no if ands or buts about it...rules...are rules regardless how lame...arbitrary or dumb they seem. 

Edited by Booch

On 2022-08-27 at 10:07 AM, TBURGESS said:

That's called getting the call wrong. All they had to do was let the play continue, which refs do all the time, and let the CC sort it out. That would have given the ball to the Stamps who deserved it & would have reduced our score by 3. It's not the first time the refs have done the 'I toght I ta an incomplete pass' and given the ball to the wrong team. It's a refs mistake every time it happens.

Oh, here we go again for the thousandth time. According to T Burgess, we didn't earn that win Thursday night. The refs gifted us the game to the Bombers on what he says it was a bad call. You always ***** & complain. nothing is ever good enough. Why are you even a fan of the Bombers? At least, you call yourself a fan. I have my doubts. Of course, you conveniently don't mention the phantom RTP call against us. 

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Oh, here we go again for the thousandth time. According to T Burgess, we didn't earn that win Thursday night. The refs gifted us the game to the Bombers on what he says it was a bad call. You always ***** & complain. nothing is ever good enough. Why are you even a fan of the Bombers? At least, you call yourself a fan. I have my doubts. Of course, you conveniently don't mention the phantom RTP call against us. 

Here we go again for the millionth time. Pretend I'm saying something I'm not then whine about it and doubt I'm a fan. It's not just me who says it's a back call. Look at the replay like the CC did. It was bad call. It was the wrong call. It was ONE reason we won. This is one of the reasons these things go on and on and on.

The RTP was the right call, they've been calling like that all year. The Refs even told MOS it wouldn't be overturned. Go back a few pages and you'll see the whole argument.

13 hours ago, Booch said:

Nobody is disagreeing with it being a fumble....its that it originally was called an incomplete pass...whistled dead "before"...which is key here...any immediate possession....so...as per the rules...as crappy as u want to consider them...the fumbling team retains possession at point of fumble...cut and dried...and clearly stated in the rules...so the 3 points we got from it were 100 percent warranted ...no if ands or buts about it...rules...are rules regardless how lame...arbitrary or dumb they seem. 

I'm not disagreeing that the rules were applied properly, but that doesn't change the fact the the original call was wrong. The key IMO is that the Refs on the field got the call wrong. Everything after that is the fruit of the poisonous tree so to speak.

On 2022-08-26 at 5:04 PM, TBURGESS said:

I've watched longer than you and I can tell you that the refs wrong calls decide a lot more games in 40 years than you can count on one hand.

Last night they got a fumble wrong (That's a fact, not conjecture or a 'what if' argument).  It allowed us to keep the ball instead of giving it to the Stamps & allowed us to get 3 un-earned points. That's the definition of an instance when the refs made the wrong call that possibly changed the outcome of the game because we won by 2. If their QB had fumbled and they'd kept the ball, you know that most folks around here would be rightly whining about it.

There's nothing stupider or more aggravating than fans blaming the refs for calls that go against the team, like the RTP,  then saying you can't blame the refs for calls that go against the other team. You can blame the refs for both or neither, but anything else is just stupid.

Fans can complain about calls until the cows come home but blaming them for a win/loss is stupid. Ifs and buts are for losers, whiners, and contrarians.

11 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I'm not disagreeing that the rules were applied properly, but that doesn't change the fact the the original call was wrong. The key IMO is that the Refs on the field got the call wrong. Everything after that is the fruit of the poisonous tree so to speak.

again...whats your point...wrong calls are made every game...some corrected by CC...and some they botch....what about the RTP call...which gifted them a point?....was wrong call....wasn't corrected.....but u ignore it...if anything CGY would have only had a chance to tie, but that being said, we drove field at end with chance to win...even if they had tied it...

1 minute ago, Booch said:

again...whats your point...wrong calls are made every game...some corrected by CC...and some they botch....what about the RTP call...which gifted them a point?....was wrong call....wasn't corrected.....but u ignore it...if anything CGY would have only had a chance to tie, but that being said, we drove field at end with chance to win...even if they had tied it...

For sure. A botched call in the first half is not the reason the Bombers won, nor was any other botched call. Did it change the game? Sure...at the time it did, like any other play changes a game, but at the end of the day it is one play with over a half of football left to play. Calgary had ample opportunity to try and win but couldn't score on us when it mattered. That's the bottom line. The way our offence was playing I am fully confident we would have driven the field if necessary at the end. 

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

For sure. A botched call in the first half is not the reason the Bombers won, nor was any other botched call. Did it change the game? Sure...at the time it did, like any other play changes a game, but at the end of the day it is one play with over a half of football left to play. Calgary had ample opportunity to try and win but couldn't score on us when it mattered. That's the bottom line. The way our offence was playing I am fully confident we would have driven the field if necessary at the end. 

well...we did drive the field....then went into victory formation well within scoring range

On 2022-08-27 at 11:56 AM, TBURGESS said:

If it's close, you don't blow the whistle. Players play to the whistle, so they are in no more danger than they would be in any play. It's ridiculous to say that the extra 2 or 3 seconds put players in danger.

The ref obviously didn't feel it was close. You don't just let every play continue because you may have gotten it wrong. 

22 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Fact: Refs got the call wrong.

Fact: Refs gave the ball to the wrong team.

Fact: It took a turnover away from Calgary AND allowed us to get 3 points.

Fact: We won by 2 points.

Fix: Wait until the ball is recovered to blow the whistle even if the Refs call it an incomplete pass. Could be done today with a memo to all teams.

Notes:

It won't slow the game down, because it only happens a few times a month.

It won't cause more injuries any more than a few seconds of any play.

Getting the calls right is the most important job of the Refs.

FACT: The Stamps had over a half of football to overcome the 3 points they lost.

FACT: They couldn't do it

FACT: We don't know how this game turns out if the call was different. Plenty of ifs and buts could have went the other way too and maybe we have a 20 point lead going into the 4th Q. Just a losers game trying to suggest a first half FG was the difference.

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

well...we did drive the field....then went into victory formation well within scoring range

That is true, and we did it just by running the ball down their throats. I am now remorseful that O'Shea didn't send out the FG unit, get 3 more points, and give the contrarians nothing to talk about.

21 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I'd have hated it if it was Maier who fumbled, got the ball back and Calgary won by 2. I'm pretty sure everyone would be on my side if that had happened.

Here's the funny thing... and everyone here knows it... if the roles were reversed, you would not be arguing this to death... you would say one call doesn't change the game and the Bombers didn't do enough to win...

When the bombers win it's just non-stop "yeah but" ... and when they lose, the other team was better and anything else is just an excuse

1 hour ago, Booch said:

The point is and has always been that the refs got the call wrong. Everyone knows it was a fumble not a forward pass. The CC is in place specifically to fix the on field refs bad calls. They couldn't do it because of the quick/wrong whistle. Why at this point are we rehashing the basic facts of the call?

What about a completely different call that has nothing at all to do with the call in question. Way to deflect. The RTP call was the right call, but lets pretend you're right... The Refs gifted us 3 and gifted them 1 and we won by 2. What's your point?

b30.jpg

26 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Here's the funny thing... and everyone here knows it... if the roles were reversed, you would not be arguing this to death... you would say one call doesn't change the game and the Bombers didn't do enough to win...

When the bombers win it's just non-stop "yeah but" ... and when they lose, the other team was better and anything else is just an excuse

The old... Here's "Something I didn't say" that "I wouldn't do" and everyone knows it 'argument'. :rolleyes:

ad%252520hominem%2525202.jpg?imgmax=800

Edited by TBURGESS

53 minutes ago, bearpants said:

That's exactly what is so bothersome and tedious. The continual search for reasons to discredit our team's success has robbed him of his credibility when making his arguments. I am pretty sure he takes on the role of devil's advocate for his own amusement, and that is fine, every forum needs a foil. If he truly believes in his arguments though it must be tough to be a sports fan then. If you can't find joy and hope in the past 3 seasons of Bomber football and see nothing but negatives still.....I don't know if I'd bother continuing on.

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

That's exactly what is so bothersome and tedious. The continual search for reasons to discredit our team's success has robbed him of his credibility when making his arguments. I am pretty sure he takes on the role of devil's advocate for his own amusement, and that is fine, every forum needs a foil. If he truly believes in his arguments though it must be tough to be a sports fan then. If you can't find joy and hope in the past 3 seasons of Bomber football and see nothing but negatives still.....I don't know if I'd bother continuing on.

I don’t mind people taking the other side of things. There are so many posters who have the blue-tinted glasses on that annoy me more.

But it’s tiresome to be arguing about rules and precedent and be accused of only doing because of whom I’m talking to.

Just now, Jesse said:

I don’t mind people taking the other side of things. There are so many posters who have the blue-tinted glasses on that annoy me more.

But it’s tiresome to be arguing about rules and precedent and be accused of only doing because of whom I’m talking to.

For sure. TB likes to think he is being picked on, when really it is just that his arguments are so often flawed that illicits the responses.

and.....as per TBurg the RTP was not the right call....hands to the back name plate....is not a penalty...now if he had grabbed it...yanked him backwards after the ball was knocked away...then yes...but how it went down....not a penalty whatsoever...every time a player pushes another out of bounds...or down after a catch or run would be flagged then....which they are not....head...neck....face...or horse collar for that matter arent part of the back...or even shoulder blade area...was garbage call...