Week 12 - Stumps @ Back-To-Back Grey Cup Champions - GDT

JCon

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

You can challenge roughing the passer, both for or against, in the CFL.

Then thats a mistake by O'Shea IMO. Pretty clear that the head + neck were never touched. That could have been game-altering. If i had one complaint about O'Shea its that he's ultra conservative. Never goes for 2 points when it makes sense and rarely challenges anything. Ironically enough it seems that when he does challenge a call he shouldnt lol. Picks his spots poorly on challenges IMO.

First game of 2022 at IGF last night and it did not disappoint! Fourth quarter was another wild one and seeing that 400 WINS light up the jumbotrons was a sight! Demski was on a mission, too.

This team consistently finds a way to win and never seems to ever get down on themselves.

1 minute ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Then thats a mistake by O'Shea IMO. Pretty clear that the head + neck were never touched. That could have been game-altering. If i had one complaint about O'Shea its that he's ultra conservative. Never goes for 2 points when it makes sense and rarely challenges anything. Ironically enough it seems that when he does challenge a call he shouldnt lol. Picks his spots poorly on challenges IMO.

Yeah he seems really hesitant to throw that rag....At that late point in the game I thought it was worth a shot.....Cripes Dickie Boy on the other side of the field is just frothing at the mouth to challenge ....anything that moves....Not saying Mike should be like Dickensen but I think he has to be sharper on some of those debatable reffing calls

Just now, TrueBlue4ever said:

The play was ruled an incomplete pass and not a fumble on the field, so bad call or not it would not have been a fumble return TD on any event. 

Ah - I didn’t know it was ruled incomplete 

Looked like a fumble to me I didn’t hear a whistle either 

1 minute ago, Booch said:

it also gave CGY extra field position that resulted in the punt single...which would have been the difference in losing on a late possible CGY fg to win

Terrible RTP call 

9 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Ah - I didn’t know it was ruled incomplete 

Looked like a fumble to me I didn’t hear a whistle either  

They let the play run out and then announced that the play was ruled an incomplete pass when they announced the penalties. Did not see a TD signal, so I suspect it was a missed whistle rather than an overturn by the command centre after. Maybe the ref didn’t bother with the whistle knowing there was a RTP flag and also let’s the “turnover” play out knowing it will be looked at by command centre. Just speculation on that last bit. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

19 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

On the postgame show Osh said he considered the flag but said any contact to the QB’s shoulders and up rarely if ever gets overturned. His words. 

He only has a few seconds to review the play and decide whether to challenge.

We've had the benefit to look at the play a few times. I bet he would have challenged if he saw that Willie hands were on the back of the shoulder.

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

further to this... I did some reseacrh because I was curious: above the passers should would indicate neck or shoulders... so by rule, WJ's RTP call was garbage

Article 5 — Roughing The Passer

Because the act of passing puts the passer in a particularly vulnerable position to injury, special rules against roughing the passer apply. Once the ball is released, defensive players must avoid all unnecessary contact with the passer. A player shall be penalized for any act of Unnecessary Roughness to the passer, including but not limited to:

1. Contacting the passer in an unnecessary manner, including stuffing him to the ground, violently throwing him to the ground, and landing on him with most of the defender's weight,
  2. Any blow above the passer's shoulder,
  3. All rushing defenders must attempt to avoid forcibly hitting a passer in the pocket, at or below the knees, either if their path to the passer was unrestricted, or if they are coming off a blocker,
  4. Attacking the passer who, after releasing the ball, is either standing still or fading backwards and is obviously out of the play and remains out of the play,
  5. When the quarterback slides feet first, all unnecessary contact must be avoided. The slide must be done in a timely manner to allow the defence to avoid such contact.
  6. Contacting the passer if either the initial source of contact, or primary source of contact, is the defender's helmet.

above the passers should would indicate neck or shoulders... so by rule, WJ's RTP call was garbage... only way it would be the right call is if it was late (it wasn't) or he hit the head (he didn't)... that probably would've been an easily winnable challenge

I was thinking/guessing that Taylor was probably directed to give up the single if it looked like he was going to be pinned within the ten yard line... O'Shea loves field position... of course, in the end it didn't matter... but it would've been frustrating if Calgary had one last shot at a FG down only 2 instead of 4.

The punt singles are different stories, the second one for sure Taylor was told to bring it our but he didn't understand that signals they were giving him from the sidelines. I could clearly see coaches signaling before the kick that it had to come out.

30 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

They let the play run out and then announced that the play was ruled an incomplete pass when they announced the penalties. Did not see a TD signal, so I suspect it was a missed whistle rather than an overturn by the command centre after. Maybe the ref didn’t bother with the whistle knowing there was a RTP flag and also let’s the “turnover” play out knowing it will be looked at by command centre. Just speculation on that last bit. 

Yeh honestly not blowing the whistle was the right call - it was a relatively close call between fumble/incomplete pass and not blowing the whistle early was definitely on their mind after blowing the whistle too soon in the first half.  Let the play complete and then decide whether it was an incomplete pass or a fumble return for a td / any penalties.

22 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

MOS yelling “Yes!” after the last JA run was awesome 

Yeh that was a cool reaction to catch on camera - he definitely didn't want to have to punt the ball back to CGY and give them a hail mary shot to win.

Overall, great game, great game day experience. "Lucky" to pull out the win? I say no, the stumps were lucky that they looked to be in it. Sure, not everyone had their best game of the year but there were enough plays being made that I never really doubted the outcome. It was a pretty good laugh coming back here this morning and reading thru the comments being made during the game. Wow, we have some fans that have little faith and are ready to give up at the slightest adversity, I am glad they aren't on the field or sidelines.

While my travel distance more than doubled this was the first time I made it home before the post game ended, a very quick game and exit from the building. To the guy driving the F150 on the East/North Perimeter, I didn't see what you hit but good job controlling your truck and getting to the centre out of the path of cars quickly and safely. On the other hand, wifey is pissed that later I didn't see the dead skunk on the ground and her car got smelly...

A few closing thoughts from last night's game:

Liegghio is back to form and did very well, both place-kicking and punting.

Oliviera is still looking like the replacement for Harris we hoped he would be

We desperately need both Kyries Wilson and Brandon Alexander back soon.

Demerio Houston's replacement played well.

We have not replaced Stove with someone of equal caliber.

The team cannot absorb many more losses of starters.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

we also killed the clock in field goal range. Those 3 points aren't as important as some (mostly cgy and or crider fans) are making them out to be.

We wouldn't have done that without the chincy holding call on the 3rd down.

4 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

We wouldn't have done that without the chincy holding call on the 3rd down.

Or we could have had them punting 2 plays later and it made no difference at all.  For everyone who says the holding call lost them the game, that simply isn't the case. There was no guarantee they were scoring points even if the call wasn't made.

17 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Or we could have had them punting 2 plays later and it made no difference at all.  For everyone who says the holding call lost them the game, that simply isn't the case. There was no guarantee they were scoring points even if the call wasn't made.

It cost them the chance to win the game. 1st on the 50 is a way higher chance of getting into FG territory than punting the ball away.

If the Ref's hadn't mistakenly whistled the ball dead earlier in the game, they'd have been ahead by one, not down by 2.

I like my chances of being ahead by 1, the clock running, with a first down at the 50, and 2:30 on the clock. It's two first downs from draining the clock or kicking a FG to go up by 4.

11 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

It cost them the chance to win the game. 1st on the 50 is a way higher chance of getting into FG territory than punting the ball away.

If the Ref's hadn't mistakenly whistled the ball dead earlier in the game, they'd have been ahead by one, not down by 2.

I like my chances of being ahead by 1, the clock running, with a first down at the 50, and 2:30 on the clock. It's two first downs from draining the clock or kicking a FG to go up by 4.

wouldnt have been up by 4 tho if not for the bogus RTP call....that gave them 10 yards of field position that made the endzone punt happen...cant discount one call....yet say the other factored in...doesnt work that way...there also should have been a pi...or at least an illegal contact penalty on Mcrae in the 3rd quarter that wasnt called...penalties...missed or called are part of the game...and rarely is the reason for a loss....if there was one that was this yr it was that crap offside vs the Als

Just now, Booch said:

wouldnt have been up by 4 tho if not for the bogus RTP call....that gave them 10 yards of field position that made the endzone punt happen...cant discount one call....yet say the other factored in...doesnt work that way...there also should have been a pi...or at least an illegal contact penalty on Mcrae in the 3rd quarter that wasnt called...penalties...missed or called are part of the game...and rarely is the reason for a loss....if there was one that was this yr it was that crap offside vs the Als

Except that the RTP call wasn't bogus. Mike Freakin' O'Shea said the refs told him that's the way it's being called. I know you hate me, but you should agree with MOS.

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

Except that the RTP call wasn't bogus. Mike Freakin' O'Shea said the refs told him that's the way it's being called. I know you hate me, but you should agree with MOS.

And you think O'Shea would come right out and say they screwed up.  He knows what he's doing.  

And yes the RTP was bogus.

dont even know u...so why would I hate...and he said a comment on post game...and said they have been calling that....but also he may have been mistaken as to what he saw...as he prob seen less than tv audience did....it was a hand to back of shoulder on the name plate...not top of shoulder...neck...head...anything that via the rules should be called...

1 minute ago, Saidin said:

And you think O'Shea would come right out and say they screwed up.  He knows what he's doing.  

And yes the RTP was bogus.

was gonna say that too...but would just get u know who to go off arguing and debating