2022 CFL Season - Back 2 Back Champs News

JCon

18 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

He took a cut coming out of the lost COVID year and then got a bump (rightfully) after winning DMOP

Bighill took an enormous cut in 2021 to stay with the Bombers, he may have received an increase going into this season but he's still being paid well below what Jefferson is making.

TSN’s Farhan Lalji is reporting that the All-Star middle linebacker has reached an agreement on a restructured contract that will keep him with the Blue Bombers next season. Bighill was reportedly set to make $260,000 in the final year of his three year deal, but has now taken “significantly less” to stay in Winnipeg.

“Shocked to hear that Adam Bighill’s contract for 2021 is 115k (down from 260k),”

https://3downnation.com/2021/01/15/all-star-lb-adam-bighill-restructures-deal-to-stay-in-winnipeg/

I expect Bighill to be back at a similar price.

Jeffcoat is a guy we almost lost - the Bombers (and Willie) put on the full court press to get him back last season - so 50/50?

Edited by Jesse
Replaced the Jeff’s

15 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Bighill took an enormous cut in 2021 to stay with the Bombers, he may have received an increase going into this season but he's still being paid well below what Jefferson is making.

TSN’s Farhan Lalji is reporting that the All-Star middle linebacker has reached an agreement on a restructured contract that will keep him with the Blue Bombers next season. Bighill was reportedly set to make $260,000 in the final year of his three year deal, but has now taken “significantly less” to stay in Winnipeg.

“Shocked to hear that Adam Bighill’s contract for 2021 is 115k (down from 260k),”

https://3downnation.com/2021/01/15/all-star-lb-adam-bighill-restructures-deal-to-stay-in-winnipeg/

It was a huge pay cut but the market has changed.  He's under paid (imo) for what he does for the club on & off the field but he's still the highest paid linebacker in the league.

https://3downnation.com/2022/03/21/the-cfls-fifteen-highest-paid-linebackers-for-the-2022-season/

Jefferson re-signing is a basically slam dunk...and priority....sack numbers are down but his effect on the game, and how teams scheme, and how he disrupts schemes is still top notch...he has been seeing way more attention due to injury and lack of middle push...Not sure where the full court press for last yr was coming from but I can say thats 99.9% false or fabricated...Jeffcoat has lots of tread, and certain is a priority....he just been unlucky with the injury bug.

Guy likely to not be back for us next yr is Thomas...good foot soldier, loyal and been here forever but this yr it's clearly noticeable he well past his best before date...and it's hurt our interior push this yr....hopefully he goes out with his 3rd ring

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

I expect Bighill to be back at a similar price.

Jefferson is a guy we almost lost - the Bombers (and Willie) put on the full court press to get him back last season - so 50/50?

I'm assuming you mean Jeffcoat, and from what I remember he was never really considering leaving town.

4 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'm assuming you mean Jeffcoat, and from what I remember he was never really considering leaving town.

He said himself he was thinking hard about testing free agency but the Bombers showed enough love that they got it done before he hit FA.  Darren Cameron went down to Texas to meet with him in person (brought the Cup with him too) and it meant a lot to JJ.

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/football/cfl/winnipeg-bluebombers/with-jeffcoat-mulling-free-agency-bombers-convinced-him-to-stay-by-showing-they-cared

5 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

He said himself he was thinking hard about testing free agency but the Bombers showed enough love that they got it done before he hit FA.  Darren Cameron went down to Texas to meet with him in person (brought the Cup with him too) and it meant a lot to JJ.

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/football/cfl/winnipeg-bluebombers/with-jeffcoat-mulling-free-agency-bombers-convinced-him-to-stay-by-showing-they-cared

Controversial take, but i wouldnt be too upset to see him go if he asks for too much $$$. I love Jeffcoat but he's yet to play a full season(he's averaging basically 12 games per year over his career) and has been very meh on the field this year. 175K this season for 11 games and 3 sacks is not good value. If he wants a raise i'd rather look elsewhere and save some money.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

5 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Fair enough, I interpreted that as going to see what's out there/get some leverage if needed...not so much, leaving and then changing his mind.

9 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Controversial take, but i wouldnt be too upset to see him go if he asks for too much $$$. I love Jeffcoat but he's yet to play a full season(he's averaging basically 12 games per year over his career) and has been very meh on the field this year. 175K this season for 11 games and 3 sacks is not good value. If he wants a raise i'd rather look elsewhere and save some money.

I think this year has shown Jeffcoat would not be easy to replace, when healthy he's still one of the best DE's in the league and well worth whatever they're paying him.  Best compliment to Willie ever.

3 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

I think this year has shown Jeffcoat would not be easy to replace, when healthy he's still one of the best DE's in the league and well worth whatever they're paying him.  Best compliment to Willie ever.

Counterpoint... With Jeffcoat in the fold, the Bombers have only pursued cheap back-up and development options, rather than looking for his immediate replacement. 

(I don't want Jeffcoat gone)

16 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Bad take, actually. Jeffcoat & JEfferson are by far the best tandem of defensive ends in the CFL. Our interior defensive line is the problem & has been all year. Fix that &watch the two bookends go to town. Then watch Adam Bighill & the linebackers step it up. Like the offense with the OL, the DL is the foundation of a great defense. Not surprised we've struggled on defense with the lack of a push from those two DT positions. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Bad take, actually. Jeffcoat & JEfferson are by far the best tandem of defensive ends in the CFL. Our interior defensive line is the problem & has been all year. Fix that &watch the two bookends go to town. Then watch Adam Bighill & the linebackers step it up. Like the offense with the OL, the DL is the foundation of a great defense. Not surprised we've struggled on defense with the lack of a push from those two DT positions. 

This can be said about any DE's really. I do love Jeffcoat but like i said $175K for 12 games a year is not good value. DE's are not hard to find. Pretty much every team has good ones. Again, i love Jeffcoat but i dont want to spend big $$$ for 12 games and meh play. Weve got lots of mouths to feed.

Lorenzo Mauldin is a FA after this season.......Just saying.

28 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

This can be said about any DE's really. I do love Jeffcoat but like i said $175K for 12 games a year is not good value. DE's are not hard to find. Pretty much every team has good ones. Again, i love Jeffcoat but i dont want to spend big $$$ for 12 games and meh play. Weve got lots of mouths to feed.

Lorenzo Mauldin is a FA after this season.......Just saying.

I want to see us sign at least one legit interior pass rusher & run gapper in free agency than go after Mauldin. That would be money better well spent, IMO. 

47 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Am I the only one who remembers how good Jeffcoat has been in the playoffs?

Or do I have a bad memory?

Not only has jj been a monster in the post season here, last year in the first half he was easily our best defensive player. 
 He gets hurt a lot sure, but he misses mid season games and goes on the 6 game ir. The goal is to have the best play off roster. Jj doesn’t mean we lose all that cash when he’s hurt. That’s more room to bring guys in. 

Wj needs a jj to play opposite. Both need a stove to be the best they can. And we need a 3rd de who is starting calibre to keep every one going full time at top speed. 

if Thomas retires which seems the most likely they should do a bobble head and Honor him before the game. He’s been soo pivotal for our turn around. 

4 hours ago, Booch said:

Jefferson re-signing is a basically slam dunk...and priority....sack numbers are down but his effect on the game, and how teams scheme, and how he disrupts schemes is still top notch...he has been seeing way more attention due to injury and lack of middle push...Not sure where the full court press for last yr was coming from but I can say thats 99.9% false or fabricated...Jeffcoat has lots of tread, and certain is a priority....he just been unlucky with the injury bug.

Guy likely to not be back for us next yr is Thomas...good foot soldier, loyal and been here forever but this yr it's clearly noticeable he well past his best before date...and it's hurt our interior push this yr....hopefully he goes out with his 3rd ring

Cam Lawson has played well this year and at 24 he's already shown he's an adequate replacement for Jake.  Sayles is worth keeping around for his versatility and engine, but they still need to find a huge piece to plug up the middle.  I wonder how much weight Poop Johnson is hauling around these days.

58 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Hopefully Walters and Co can find another version of Stove or Nevis for next year. 

Did stove sign a one year deal? Maybe he could come home. But yeah they have to go out and bring in a couple nose tackles. 

imo biggie is not a guy to hand top lber in the cfl money. I also don’t think money is his primary motivating factor and doesn’t he have a great side hustle now in Winnipeg? I suspect he will continue to play here and for under 150k a year. 

If kongbo doesn’t come home or maybe even if he does I’d love to see us get jagared Davis. To rotate with jj and Wj. All three on the field at the same time would be a nightmare. Depth for days to rotate and cover injuries. Super athletic for a big end and what a beast. 

he’s not a heavy dt but oakman would be a fantastic get too. 

4 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Cam Lawson has played well this year and at 24 he's already shown he's an adequate replacement for Jake.  Sayles is worth keeping around for his versatility and engine, but they still need to find a huge piece to plug up the middle.  I wonder how much weight Poop Johnson is hauling around these days.

Cam has indeed been excellent this year. He’s gonna have a really strong career here. Sayles too. 
 I bet poop is carrying around about 50 lbs extra XD Brandin Bryant wouldn’t be bad to bring back.