Jump to content

You be the commish! - CFL changes


Recommended Posts

Since we have another week before game related Bomber action, thought I’d throw out a random topic for discussion. 

You are the commissioner and can change something about the CFL, what would you do? Don’t go for low hanging fruit like “kick the Roughriders out”, “fire Ambrosie”, or “Bombers get the Cup every year”, what rule changes, scheduling, roster moves, or marketing would you implement?

I will throw out a few to start:

Despite people’s love of the cottage in summer, game attendance actually is highest in those months and drops after Labour Day. So move up the season schedule so the league starts in May, and can be done before November. 

Get a 10th team in now, or cut back to 16 games, one home and one road game against each team. Two bye weeks per team a year. 

Bring back the third QB, but mandate that they must be Canadian

Open up the NFL option window, but eliminate the one year comtract. Of a player leaves for the NFL, their CFL team retains first refusal of rights unless player is gone for the entire following CFL season. 

Playoff games on Saturday, especially the Grey Cup. How many fans don’t travel to the big game because they need to be back at work Monday and can’t make the flights out with an evening Sunday game? Saturday late afternoon game allows a lot of Saturday night post-game partying and Sunday is travel day for the fans. 

Anything else?

Edited by TrueBlue4ever
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Nolby said:

I'm all for moving the uprights to the back of the endzone. I know it's cemented as a CFL thing but when you see Rasheed catch his TD and then smash into the uprights seems a little ridiculous,maybe it's just my view.

Nah, instead make it -1 point if a FG goes off the upright and fails to go through lol.

RE: Saturday playoff games...I wholeheartedly agree withthose comments. Sunday games like that suck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Nolby said:

I'm all for moving the uprights to the back of the endzone. I know it's cemented as a CFL thing but when you see Rasheed catch his TD and then smash into the uprights seems a little ridiculous,maybe it's just my view.

Don’t mind the idea from a safety point of view, but that would wipe out a ton of field goals. You would have to be inside the opponent‘s 20 yard line to have a reasonably makable kick. But I approve of the talking point. 

And then there is the problem that we would never get to enjoy this again:

MatureIdolizedBongo-max-1mb.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Play a game in the maritimes yearly. Quebec City. Play a game in southern Ontario such as Kitch., London or Windsor. Play a game in Saskatoon. It’s less of a dump than Regina. Fort Mac was a cool idea. 
intense effort to improve the game officiating.
widen the field by 5 yards.

free season tickets to any child born named after a cfl star. 
a tokers lounge in every stadium. Play cartoons and the Matrix in the lounge. Sell team branded gummies. 

a recipe book with cfl stars favourite recipes. 
canadian forces infantry exercises at half times. Tank demonstration. 
pre game roller derby’s in franchise colours. 
arm wrestling stations. 
 

 
 

Edited by Rod Black
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Start and end the season earlier.

Games on Thursday through Sunday before the NFL starts. Thursday through Saturday after the NFL starts. More game nights, less triple headers.

X Canadians, Y Americans, Z Globals. QB's are treated the same as any other player ratio wise. Teams can dress as many or as few QB's as they want.

Longer work days, more contact practices.

No divisions. Top 2 teams get a bye. 2 & 3 get home games. 2 plays 6. 3 plays 4.

16 game season. Every team plays every other team twice. Saturday playoff games. Sunday Grey Cup.

2 year contracts with an NFL window. Teams retain rights of NFL window players who have another year left on their contracts.

 

Edited by TBURGESS
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

Play a game in the maritimes yearly. Quebec City. Play a game in southern Ontario such as Kitch., London or Windsor. Play a game in Saskatoon. It’s less of a dump than Regina. Fort Mac was a cool idea. 
intense effort to improve the game officiating.
widen the field by 5 yards.

free season tickets to any child born named after a cfl star. 
a tokers lounge in every stadium. Play cartoons and the Matrix in the lounge. Sell team branded gummies. 

a recipe book with cfl stars favourite recipes. 
canadian forces infantry exercises at half times. Tank demonstration. 
pre game roller derby’s in franchise colours. 
arm wrestling stations. 
 

 
 

This post started well, then about midway through I sense your own personal brand of gummies kicked in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

This post started well, then about midway through I sense your own personal brand of gummies kicked in. 

I did post as per the title “you be the commish”. Maybe a little too creative. 
the hot dog eating contest has been tried and worked too! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Isn't the 'excuse' for having playoffs in November - to aboid the MLB playoffs? I have never agreed with that stance. Today would've been perfect Grey Cup weather. 

Does anyone really care about MLB playoffs outside of Toronto?   And even then, only when the Blue Jays happen to be in them?

Agree today would have been a great day for the Grey Cup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Add a couple roster spots. 1 ni qb 1 more di 2 more Canadian back ups. Teams need more depth at wr and db ofc qb too. But the ol and more chances to get into games for young developmental ol. 

 Change command center reviews. Have 3 officials review the play separately then go with consensus. 

Cap the number of players on the ir and suspended list who haven't dressed for a game. No more 30 man extended pr for the riders. 

Fix the injury report and penalize teams for shenanigans. 

Like ford said in our game add junior players to the draft. 

Maybe have 2 spots for k p ko. If teams run 1 player for all 3 roles give em an extra ni. Been a whole lot of terrible punting and kicking this year. Lots of times teams would be better off just going for it on 3rd down. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Add a couple roster spots. 1 ni qb 1 more di 2 more Canadian back ups. Teams need more depth at wr and db ofc qb too. But the ol and more chances to get into games for young developmental ol. 

 Change command center reviews. Have 3 officials review the play separately then go with consensus. 

Cap the number of players on the ir and suspended list who haven't dressed for a game. No more 30 man extended pr for the riders. 

Fix the injury report and penalize teams for shenanigans. 

Like ford said in our game add junior players to the draft. 

Maybe have 2 spots for k p ko. If teams run 1 player for all 3 roles give em an extra ni. Been a whole lot of terrible punting and kicking this year. Lots of times teams would be better off just going for it on 3rd down. 

Some good ideas here. Would worry about the 3 headed review monster though. More delays and even less authority for the on-field officials, who have already become gun shy. But on that topic, I would add getting rid of video review for illegal contact on a receiver. Hate when coaches fish for a penalty on the opposite side of the field to where the play is. If the on-field refs don’t see it, then it wasn’t egregious enough to call. Keep the human element in a bit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Ladies and gentlemen further proof rider fans are ****** in the head.

Yes, this is an opinion I exclusively hold because I’m a Rider fan. This has nothing to do with football as a whole, just the fact that I am a Rider fan. I’m sure every single Bomber fan on this planet LOVES the five yard cushion and would never want the fair catch brought in.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...