Bombers vs Riders GDT

Nolby

8 hours ago, Doublezero said:

Lankford doesn't do it for me on returns. If Fogg is down then hopefully Thorpe is ready next week.

Lankford did just fine, though I would like to see what Thorpe is capable of in the role. 

On kickoffs Lankford had an average of 29.3 yards a return. That's damn good considering a good return on kicks is 20 yards. On punts his average wasn't great, only 5 per return (10 yards is considered a good return on punts), but the Riders also did a decent job on their punt covers. By comparison, before he got hurt Fogg only had an average of 7.2 yards a return, and we all know what he's capable of there.

Mike Miller was insane. He's going to be Arakgi levels of good for this team and the special teams unit was easily the most impressive part of the team. 

I hated the play calling early and especially late. Lapo seems to have this tendency to never want a greater than two touchdown lead. Or at least when he does get one, he goes ultra concervative and it often times ends up with a blown lead. The less the said about the Bombers time management with 2 minutes to go in the fourth, the better. 

That being said, it was their first game of the season and the circumstances of it being the opening of New Mosiac made that a difficult game to win even with their opponent being a truly abysmal. Jones has truly destroyed that team and it is beautiful. 

On defence, Randle was incredible and Hurl had a number of great plays in space and on screens. I was thoroughly impressed with Nevis and Poop as well. I am starting to think that Westerman has a reputation for taking cheap shots at QBs because he certainly got no benefit of the doubt on the roughing the passer call that was actually him. Carmichael was garbage but I will concede that it is not easy playing HB in the CFL in your first career game, regardless of the opponent. I also think Hall gave Glenn way too much underneath early and that contributed a lot to his success early. If I remember correctly only one deep shot from Glenn connected and while it's never a great strategy in the CFL to give the QB a chance at a deep pass, with Glenn the risks are far smaller.

I hope the Nichols from the third quarter was a more accurate depiction of what he does this year because for much of the first half, we was absolutely awful. Missed receivers, minimal poise in the pocket, just about everything. Though the play calling I do not believe gave Nichols the best chance to succeed. JFG in particular seemed like he was featured a little too highly early on with Lapo's classic six yard pattern when you need 8 yards. I wouldn't even mind that if they were slants or a route that actually had the receiver in motion when they catch the ball but the outs and short curls on second and long just have to go. 

Overall, not a terrible performance and I think the score is more indicative of the Bombers shaking off rust combined with the boost of the new stadium than the difference in quality of those two teams. 

Entertaining game. You could plainly see which team had not played yet.  Emotion had to carry the Riders because their schemes and talent just can't.  Glenn is going to get hurt. That's a given, and when he does it will be an awful long year for them. 

Ego Jones is their Achilles heel. All bluster. He's got nothing. 

15 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Mike Miller was insane. He's going to be Arakgi levels of good for this team and the special teams unit was easily the most impressive part of the team. 

I hated the play calling early and especially late. Lapo seems to have this tendency to never want a greater than two touchdown lead. Or at least when he does get one, he goes ultra concervative and it often times ends up with a blown lead. The less the said about the Bombers time management with 2 minutes to go in the fourth, the better. 

That being said, it was their first game of the season and the circumstances of it being the opening of New Mosiac made that a difficult game to win even with their opponent being a truly abysmal. Jones has truly destroyed that team and it is beautiful. 

On defence, Randle was incredible and Hurl had a number of great plays in space and on screens. I was thoroughly impressed with Nevis and Poop as well. I am starting to think that Westerman has a reputation for taking cheap shots at QBs because he certainly got no benefit of the doubt on the roughing the passer call that was actually him. Carmichael was garbage but I will concede that it is not easy playing HB in the CFL in your first career game, regardless of the opponent. I also think Hall gave Glenn way too much underneath early and that contributed a lot to his success early. If I remember correctly only one deep shot from Glenn connected and while it's never a great strategy in the CFL to give the QB a chance at a deep pass, with Glenn the risks are far smaller.

I hope the Nichols from the third quarter was a more accurate depiction of what he does this year because for much of the first half, we was absolutely awful. Missed receivers, minimal poise in the pocket, just about everything. Though the play calling I do not believe gave Nichols the best chance to succeed. JFG in particular seemed like he was featured a little too highly early on with Lapo's classic six yard pattern when you need 8 yards. I wouldn't even mind that if they were slants or a route that actually had the receiver in motion when they catch the ball but the outs and short curls on second and long just have to go. 

Overall, not a terrible performance and I think the score is more indicative of the Bombers shaking off rust combined with the boost of the new stadium than the difference in quality of those two teams. 

4th quarter is where we really could have used Flanders.  Everytime Harris got the rock it was a 7-8 yard gain.  Could have just stomped on their throats and fed the backs.  Should have done more of that early too let the offence settle.  For the most part my feeling on Lapo hasn't changed in 15 years.  He should call his 2nd down play on first down.  Way too many 2nd and longs last night.

27 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

I hope the Nichols from the third quarter was a more accurate depiction of what he does this year because for much of the first half, we was absolutely awful. Missed receivers, minimal poise in the pocket, just about everything.

It seemed like he had happy feet at times. That one play in particular where he took off with it. He danced himself right into his offense line before he took off. He had great protection and put himself in a bad spot.

edit: re his accuracy, the pass to Dressler in the endzone was bad, but I thought the other miss in the endzone was Denmark's fault. If he doesn't slow down that pass would have been on the money.

Edited by sweep the leg

12 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Anybody have thoughts on Goossen's performance? I thought he struggled. Seemed like most of the pressure on Nichols came up the middle.

Between him and Nichols they did not do a good job of picking up pressure and making the right protection calls a few times.  Thought our OL on the whole was good.

10 hours ago, Judd said:

Still unimpressed with our D-line but i'll give it another 3, 4 games before getting worried.

Our defensive line was tremendous last night, especially those interior guys. The rotation of Johnson, Nevis, Thomas was pretty solid and will only get better as the season moves along.

What we need is more disciplined play from the end position. For as much as I love Westerman, he can't keep taking these selfish roughing penalties. He's developing a reputation and that doesn't do him (or the team) any favours.

Carmichael was in chase mode a lot  and it looked very much like he's over his head...What looks good in practice doesn't always translate to real game conditions....When is this team ever going to get the killer instinct to bury the opponent ...We have had numerous games last year and already this year where we let the opposing team up off the carpet and let them back in...That has to change...Bury the bug&ers when you get the chance...

Edited by Stickem

2 hours ago, Zontar said:

Yup, a lot of "trust the plan" folks are doing the walk of shame this morning.  So desperate to win again they skipped the courtship with Jones got drunk and  jumped in the hot tub with him. Now they're starting to remember what happened next.

You could empathize with fan desperation but  the sudden realization that Glenn isnt a winner is just willful ignorance

Actually, Glenn didn't play all that badly compared to Nichols. Glenn got really rocked a few times and still played well enough to win but for Crapigna.

29 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Carmichael had a tough go of it, normally I would cut the guy some slack for his first game but, he was neither physical enough or fast enough, next guy up please.

call back Terence Frederick.  Not sure why he got cut in the first place, especially when I see "the Roc" out there going for a leisurely stroll all game.

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

The Riders might not be as bad as most around here think they are. If their crappy kicker could make FG's from inside the 35, they'd most likely be 1-0-1 right now.

I think that will probably go down as the best game the Riders play all year.  Straight down-hill now as the momentum of losing starts to really kick in.  Have seen this far too many times with the Bombers too.  The only thing that can stop the bad momo is good leadership, and we all know how comfortable Kevin Glenn is with losing.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

Actually thought Glenn had a slight edge on Nichols. Glenn had to deal with far better coverage than Nichols. The Riders secondary looked drunk during our big rally. And Glenn looked pretty savvy extending plays outside the pocket. We scored 6 on Glenn turnovers, they scored 7 on Nichols' one pick.

Does Dressler have a new second gear this year? On that fly sweep in the third he looked way faster than I remember. Guy was really moving.

Edited by johnzo

Just now, johnzo said:

Thought Glenn vs. Nichols was a tie. Both threw a pick that resulted in a TD.  And Glenn had to deal with far better coverage than Nichols. The Riders secondary looked drunk during our big rally.

Does Dressler have a new second gear this year? On that fly sweep in the third he looked way faster than I remember. Guy was really moving.

And how greasy was that horse collar tackle in the end zone on Dressler that could have resulted in a serious injury. Made my blood boil, that. 

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Hope Johnson is back for the Stamps or Mitchell will rip Carmichael to shreds.

We need better play in coverage at the top of routes, from our three guys that tend to be dropping into deep halves, Loffler, Leggett, Wild.

I felt that both of our halfbacks had very little support in the middle of the field and behind them when we played man. 

33 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

We need better play in coverage at the top of routes, from our three guys that tend to be dropping into deep halves, Loffler, Leggett, Wild.

I felt that both of our halfbacks had very little support in the middle of the field and behind them when we played man. 

I felt like part of that was the way Hurl was used...  he seemed to be in cover a lot of plays rather than spying the QB - if that makes sense.  Just remember seeing him chasing guys off to the sidelines without really looking at the QB.

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

I felt like part of that was the way Hurl was used...  he seemed to be in cover a lot of plays rather than spying the QB - if that makes sense.  Just remember seeing him chasing guys off to the sidelines without really looking at the QB.

Why would they spy Glenn?  You shouldn't need more than the DL to manage Glenn's running.

I'm a little concerned that between Loffler and Leggett they've adopted a playmaker mentality and they've kind of slacked on doing their duty down after down.  Noticed it toward the end of last season too.  They can do some spectacular things though.  Loffler isn't really playing as a traditional safety.  He's more playing up in the box like a WIL.  Leggett plays quite a bit of safety but likes to roam into the box too.  Our D is doing a little too much chasing and not enough coming downhill at the ball/guys with the ball.