Bombers vs Riders GDT

Nolby

As happy as I am we won, I can't get that decision to punt out of our endzone out of my head vs taking a knee and giving up 2 (it lead to the drive where Bakari Grant scored).  Medlocks been doing well as a punter,  but giving up that field position was a mistake all day every day IMO.  

The score was a lot more flattering to the riders then it should have been

1 minute ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

As happy as I am we won, I can't get that decision to punt out of our endzone out of my head vs taking a knee and giving up 2 (it lead to the drive where Bakari Grant scored).  Medlocks been doing well as a punter,  but giving up that field position was a mistake all day every day IMO.  

The only thing that pisses me off more than kneeing to end a half is giving the other team free points. 

5 minutes ago, Goalie said:

The only thing that pisses me off more than kneeing to end a half is giving the other team free points. 

We made that punt from our end zone with 3 mins left in the 2nd and punted it 38 yards putting sask in field goal range instantly.  Even if the plan was to hold them to that FG,  why give up 3 instead of 2 when your only down 7 (score was 10-3 prior to the TD)

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

14 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Give up 2 and they likely start between their own 45 and midfield.  Giving up safeties isn't smart anymore unless there's a big wind.

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

Give up 2 and they likely start between their own 45 and midfield.  Giving up safeties isn't smart anymore unless there's a big wind.

I see it the other way,  if Medlock had a big wind behind him then kicking it makes a little more sense. but giving the riders instant FG range instead of just conceding 2 points makes less sense.  I dunno it is what it is,  but the riders capitalized on it pretty easily and I didn't and still don't like the call

14 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I see it the other way,  if Medlock had a big wind behind him then kicking it makes a little more sense. but giving the riders instant FG range instead of just conceding 2 points makes less sense.  I dunno it is what it is,  but the riders capitalized on it pretty easily and I didn't and still don't like the call

2 points isn't worth 15-20 yards with the other team still having the ball.  You're still likely to cost yourself more points.

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

2 points isn't worth 15-20 yards with the other team still having the ball.  You're still likely to cost yourself more points.

At the time of this kick (3 mins left in the 2nd) our ST coverage was pretty good at that point.  Medlock still would have gotten to kick off the ball,  so saying it would be 15-20 yards difference is being overly generous.  I believe up to that point the best return they had after a kick was maybe 5-10 yards. It wasn't until later in the game Greg Morris started breaking out some decent returns.

Riders started that drive on the Winnipeg 43, we'll have to agree to disagree if you believe giving up 2 is worse than allowing a team to start on yourside of the field

5 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

At the time of this kick (3 mins left in the 2nd) our ST coverage was pretty good at that point.  Medlock still would have gotten to kick off the ball,  so saying it would be 15-20 yards difference is being overly generous.  I believe up to that point the best return they had after a kick was maybe 5-10 yards. It wasn't until later in the game Greg Morris started breaking out some decent returns.

Riders started that drive on the Winnipeg 43, we'll have to agree to disagree if you believe giving up 2 is worse than allowing a team to start on yourside of the field

Agreed, O'shea has to start making the smart decisions to help the team win games and compete with the top teams in the league and forgo the macho bluster of "we can hold them".  Well they didn't.  With a good kickoff and coverage they could have pinned the Riders near their own 20.

26 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Agreed, O'shea has to start making the smart decisions to help the team win games and compete with the top teams in the league and forgo the macho bluster of "we can hold them".  Well they didn't.  With a good kickoff and coverage they could have pinned the Riders near their own 20.

Kickoff comes from their own 25.  Good kickoff means return starts at the 20-25.  Kickoff returns average around 20 yards.  Only way you're pinning them on their own 20 is if the returner flubs it.  Otherwise you're looking at the offence coming on at their own 45 if coverage is good.

40 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

What if you give up 2 and the other team starts on your side of the field anyway?  It's pretty likely kicking off from your own 25.  I'd rather give up 7 than 9.  That's all.  Sometimes the other team scores and you have a chance to get it back and reset field position too.  Giving up the safety is just unnecessary in moderate conditions.

36 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

What if you give up 2 and the other team starts on your side of the field anyway?  It's pretty likely kicking off from your own 25.  I'd rather give up 7 than 9.  That's all.  Sometimes the other team scores and you have a chance to get it back and reset field position too.  Giving up the safety is just unnecessary in moderate conditions.

sure if you wanna play the "what if's" but realistically we gave them at least an automatic 3 points making that punt from the end zone which  is more than the 2. at least with the ball on their end they would have to work a hell of a lot harder to get that 7, not just 2 plays and bam TD. hell even giving up a FG + the safety was less than the fairly easy TD they ended up with.

Medlock was averaging 65 yards a kick off. so even if he starts at his own 25,  that is on average kicking it to the opposing 20 yard line. Morris averaged about 27 yards per return so was likely going to be stopped around his own 47, almost 20 yards shorter than where they started that drive (assuming we didn't come flying down the field to make the stop sooner).  it likely would have taken them 2 first downs just to get into FG range. I think I'd play those odds vs what we did. But that's just me. I understand the point you're making, and can see it's validity, I just don't agree with it 

Interesting observation going on over at RF - Jones and Trestman didn't wear those Adidas shirts with the legend on the back and the 150 like every other coach did. Anyone think it should be a fine like the Mic'd up issue last year?  With Adidas putting their name on the shirts,  they are likely hoping to sell those shirts and this was meant for promotional purpose.  Not good to piss off a corporate sponsor imo

3 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Interesting observation going on over at RF - Jones and Trestman didn't wear those Adidas shirts with the legend on the back and the 150 like every other coach did. Anyone think it should be a fine like the Mic'd up issue last year?  With Adidas putting their name on the shirts,  they are likely hoping to sell those shirts and this was meant for promotional purpose.  Not good to piss off a corporate sponsor imo

I was just about to post this and ask if there's a chance of a fine.  I think they should be fined. A)it's a marketing tactic to sell clothes and you would think that they would be required to wear it and b ) it's a slap in the face to the history of the organizations and to the country 

It would have been nice to see all teams wearing the shirts but I wouldn't compare it to last year.  

The big difference is that all the teams agreed to wear the mics & then Maas pulled his stunts.  Don't think there was such an agreement for the shirts.

Edited by bigg jay

4 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Jamie Nye, Matthew Cauz, Marshall Ferguson, Don Landry, Jim Morris and Chris O Leary are the six so called experts who picked the Riders to win. CFL. CFL.CA needs some better people working for them.

Not surprised about Nye, or as i like to call him, Rod Pedersen Jr. The guy is a Rider homer. I dont think ive ever seen him pick against the Riders. The other guys have no excuses, theyre just dumbasse*s.

41 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Neither did Dickenson 

59 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Adidas logo was as big as the Rider logo on the shirt Jones was wearing.

They actually have spotters from the sponsor companies, clothing, sports drinks and otherwise who inspect the teams and their sidelines prior and during the game to make sure they are complying with agreements.

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Adidas logo was as big as the Rider logo on the shirt Jones was wearing.

They actually have spotters from the sponsor companies, clothing, sports drinks and otherwise who inspect the teams and their sidelines prior and during the game to make sure they are complying with agreements.

that might be true,  but that does nothing for selling those specific 150 shirts.  I honestly don't think it's a big deal,  but I could see the league taking issue with it,  because it was their idea, and really how hard is it to wear a simple shirt for 1 game to commemorate canada and a league legend

4 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

My personal favourite stat from the Bomber game?

Weston Dressler - 1 rushing, 22 yards.     6 receptions for 124 yards      2 Touchdowns

ALL in the brand new facility where he was deemed not good enough to play..

In the 3 games Dressler has played against the Riders since becomeing a Bomber he is 20/336 yds. 2 TD's.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne