Canadian Politics

I’ve always questioned using terms like far left and far right to describe extremists. I think without even knowing it what we do when we use these terms to describe a small percentage of people is we give them way more legitimacy than they deserve. Group them all together and just call them wingnuts, extremists, nut jobs whatever. Most of us share an eclectic array of political, social ideologies depending on the issue being discussed at so it’s hard to pin most of us down specifically where we land on that political spectrum. We do tho show a bit on where we may lean overall if you had to generalize.

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Stuff like this is really important if we want to try to avoid going down the hole that the US has been going down. There needs to be people with spines in the Conservative party. The same with when Eileen Clark quit her role in the Pallister government when they were defending residential schools. I was hopeful that O'Toole would condemn the convoy and that would be the Conservative party line, but they've gone in totally the opposite direction with the Candice "Maga" Bergen who can't even denounce nazism without bringing up indigenous protests and the toppling of the statue...

Manitoba Premier's response to Candace Bergen questioned (citynews.ca)

He also said the Conservative party has taken an “increasingly divisive and vitriolic” approach and he will continue to speak against extremism in the party.

“We need to shift away from that,” he said.

---------------

Former federal Conservative cabinet minister Chris Alexander called the Conservatives’ stand “both disgraceful and inexcusable.”

“I’m ashamed to see Conservative Party of Canada members, including elected MPs, portraying vaccine mandates as ‘tyranny’ and Trudeau as the ‘biggest threat to freedom in Canada’ while Russia prepares to launch a massive war on Ukraine,” he said.

Edited by WildPath

2 hours ago, JCon said:

As we discuss this protest, I hope everyone is thinking about what line these protesters are crossing. I bet that line is different for everyone. 

What have line have they crossed between respectful protest (whatever that means) to unacceptable? 

I just want the enforcement to be there when laws are clearly being violated. That would  be a good start. I want the same standards applied to other actions to be applied to this one.

Part of my job is to organize rallies and other public events up to and including strike pucket lines. There's specific laws around legal struke action, but rallies are different.

For rallies, we always have permits when needed and ensure traffic (both vehicle and pedestrian) is never impacted as the law requires . We are also respectful of those affected as it is easy  to turn people off, and a fine line between being seen and heard, and turning people off from your message.

Organizers are also responsible for the actions of each and every person participating. 

When organizing, we coordinate with police to ensure any issues come to the organizers, and frequently meet when needed for example when a strike happens.

I think these organizers totally messed this one up, and lost control of the participants and the messaging. they  should be ultimately responsible the same way I would be ultimately be held responsible should that happen at any other event, or anyone else organizing something similar.

Edited by itchy

8 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Scheer and O'Toole never came close to attacking Trudeau....and that was their path to victory. Both men tried to pass off the nice guy image and that doesn't engage anyone. Pollievre is an attack dog and he's VERY good at it.

As Jason Kenney has shown, putting an attack dog in a position of leadership is a colossal ******* mistake. 

No Polievre won't win because as has been proven through 3 leaders and 3 elections now, Canadians won't give you a government because Trudeau and Liberals bad! 

The cons want to win they gotta stop letting the crazies run the show and actually propose some policies that make sense to Canadians. 

8 hours ago, itchy said:

I just want the enforcement to be there when laws are clearly being violated. That would  be a good start. I want the same standards applied to other actions to be applied to this one.

Part of my job is to organize rallies and other public events up to and including strike pucket lines. There's specific laws around legal struke action, but rallies are different.

For rallies, we always have permits when needed and ensure traffic (both vehicle and pedestrian) is never impacted as the law requires . We are also respectful of those affected as it is easy  to turn people off, and a fine line between being seen and heard, and turning people off from your message.

Organizers are also responsible for the actions of each and every person participating. 

When organizing, we coordinate with police to ensure any issues come to the organizers, and frequently meet when needed for example when a strike happens.

I think these organizers totally messed this one up, and lost control of the participants and the messaging. they  should be ultimately responsible the same way I would be ultimately be held responsible should that happen at any other event, or anyone else organizing something similar.

I don't think the organizers "messed up". I think this is what they wanted, except on an even bigger level. The million or so semi's they had running to Ottawa for example 😁.

I think many genuinely believe the rules in place shouldn't apply to them despite the crap they would spew if the same was going on with indigenous protesters. Personally knowing some of the people that support this garbage, I know they would openly advocate violence against indigenous protesters.

10 hours ago, itchy said:

I think it likely that chaos and destruction were an integral part of the aim of at least some of the "organizers". Being able to bring the city to a halt, alarm the politicians and do whatever the hell the wanted while the authorities stood by would give them a sense of power and legitimacy they lack in their own emotionally impoverished lives. For once, they would feel noticed and in control.

17 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I’ve always questioned using terms like far left and far right to describe extremists.

agree. the two groups have much in common. some of the current American right wing "thinkers";started out as Marxists.

but, that doesnt pay well in America.

23 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

McKay would be PM right now if they had voted him leader instead of O'Toole. O'Toole was a complete nobody and a terrible choice to begin with that had zero chance of winning. They believed McKay to be too left which is what they're now claiming O'Toole to be. There's an Alanis Morissette song in there somewhere.

True for politicians.

I find it interesting / odd that the Conservatives have forgotten what should have been their biggest lesson from the Harper years. You need to be pragmatic if you are a Conservative and want to govern Canada. The guy governed for close to 10  years by suppressing the more radical, members of his party. He was ( I think ) a born again Christian who wouldn't allow his members to table an abortion discussion. He was elected in Alberta yet kept the PAL requirement for gun use and ownership.  He recognized the  importance of officially naming 1st Nations as a separate nation within the nation. He may have been despised by the left but he knew how to pull the central vote his way. He knew what he could get away with and what he couldn't and forced his party to comply. I had hoped O Toole  would have this ability but he wasn't even close.  What the PCs are embracing now will keep them out of power. At least I hope it does. 

28 minutes ago, the watcher said:

find it interesting / odd that the Conservatives have forgotten what should have been their biggest lesson from the Harper years. You need to be pragmatic if you are a Conservative and want to govern Canada. The guy governed for close to 10  years by suppressing the more radical, members of his party.

Except in the end, when it looked bad for him, he campaigned on muslim fear mongering,  that he hoped would get him votes for instance in rural quebec. and he was an absolute extremist as far as science, and concern for the planet was concerned.

never forget how he  shutndown the experimental lakes funding. funny thing.... they just established that fish populations can recover from  mercury pollution in as little as ten years. good news for polluters maybe.

at least he left health care alone.

4 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

https://www.chrisd.ca/2022/02/05/manitoba-convoy-protest-vehicle-hit-run-police/

They got the guy. He's not from Winnipeg, and he claims the hit and run wasn't related to protesting or counter-protesting, just an angry dude that ran out of patience

I can see that- ran out of patience, thought he had an opening and tried to pass the truck in front of him and hit some people in the streets, realized he hit someone, freaked out and drove away? Still pretty shitty that he drove away.