Canadian Politics

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

Lewis lost my respect when she started posting anti vaccine nonsense on twitter. Also don't like her support of the Convoy.

I never saw that, well then I retract my support for her.

1 minute ago, JCon said:

This. Although, I don't think MacKay could carry an election. 

You need someone like Harper. A "reformer" from Ontario. 

Pierre Pollievre might be the best chance for the CPC. He has his warts but is a very compelling speaker that is very good at rabble rousing. 

Pollievre and Lewis are both far right nutters, as far as I'm concerned. Too many crazy things tweeted by both for me to ever support them. MacKay and.,.......the lady whose name I can never remember........oh Rona Ambrose! ....those two are Con leaders I could, in theory, support....,

15 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I never saw that, well then I retract my support for her.

Pierre Pollievre might be the best chance for the CPC. He has his warts but is a very compelling speaker that is very good at rabble rousing. 

Pollievre is just a hack. Literally says anything and does not even understand basic economics. But, sure, put him in charge. 

43 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

If you say so. He will likely be the next leader and he will likely beat Trudeau. 

Just like Scheer and O'Toole did...? All those two did was bash Trudeau in their respective campaigns, rife with hyperbole and dog whistles.

Poilievre's obsession with Trudeau is on another level, complete with its own brand of hysterics and dog whistles - enough to make either of them blush.

32 minutes ago, JCon said:

The misogyny in this country, in politics and in the media just doesn't allow for it.  

This reminds me of Ambrose's loss in the 2017 leadership race. She seemed like the one capable of beating the Liberals and it's been placeholding clowns ever since.

Edited by blue_gold_84
getting my politicians mixed up

7 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Just like Scheer and O'Toole did...? All those two did was bash Trudeau in their respective campaigns, rife with hyperbole and dog whistles.

Poilievre's obsession with Trudeau is on another level, complete with its own brand of hysterics and dog whistles - enough to make either of them blush.

This reminds me of Ambrose's loss in the 2017 leadership race. She seemed like the one capable of beating the Liberals and it's been placeholding clowns ever since.

Scheer and O'Toole never came close to attacking Trudeau....and that was their path to victory. Both men tried to pass off the nice guy image and that doesn't engage anyone. Pollievre is an attack dog and he's VERY good at it.

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Scheer and O'Toole never came close to attacking Trudeau.... and that was their path to victory. Both men tried to pass off the nice guy image and that doesn't engage anyone. Pollievre is an attack dog and he's VERY good at it.

You can't be serious. Both focused on the Liberal leader and offered no substance to their platforms during the 2019 and 2021 election campaigns.

In what universe is Poilievre a "very good" attack dog? The same one where Scheer and O'Toole were nice guys...?

The only policy the CPC put forward in the last election was a horribly constructed and wayyy too messy carbon tax. And, it seems to be the first thing they want to kill. 

Conservatives thinks the climate is going to solve itself. And, that will never win them an election. 

They're fighting things that the rest of Canada moved past twenty years ago. 

Even conversion therapy is somehow a controversial issue. What sort of horrible people would be FOR conversion therapy? The worst. 

21 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Scheer and O'Toole never came close to attacking Trudeau....and that was their path to victory. Both men tried to pass off the nice guy image and that doesn't engage anyone. Pollievre is an attack dog and he's VERY good at it.

Poilievre is great for those who are already Conservative voters and will drink whatever Kool-Aid he serves up (Justinflation anyone 😁). I'm not sure he could win over undecided voters when his lies and BS comes under more public scrutiny in an election campaign.

3 hours ago, JCon said:

The MOU if the truckkker convoy is something else. Also, no truckers are involved, just racist trash and grifters. 

The truckers who do show up are just useful idiots.

"In political jargon, a useful idiot is a derogatory term for a person perceived as propagandizing for a cause without fully comprehending the cause's goals, and who is cynically used by the cause's leaders."

25 minutes ago, Noeller said:

the ONLY thing the Con's have is shitting on Trudeau! They've never offered up any real policy...just "we're not Trudeau". Scheer and O'Toole's campaigns were entirely about dog-whistles regarding Trudeau and it sunk them both. 

Chantelle Hebert called it on the National last night.  (I'm paraphrasing)  "The CPC are no longer a political party, they are a protest movement".

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I love Freeland and would love to see her as a PM, but I feel like our country is still far too sexist to elect her PM....... we're not much better than the States when it comes to that. Stuffy old white men have all the power. 

I'd argue that many, many Canadians are sick of white men f***ing everything up and are chomping at the bit to vote for a competent woman.  If ALBERTA can have a female premier, I think Canada is more than ready and willing to have a female PM.

As for Ambrose, I do believe she was a temporary leader and therefore prevented from being selected as the PC leader at the leadership convention.  Same applies (Thank Dog) to Bergen.

3 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

I'd argue that many, many Canadians are sick of white men f***ing everything up and are chomping at the bit to vote for a competent woman.  If ALBERTA can have a female premier, I think Canada is more than ready and willing to have a female PM.

As for Ambrose, I do believe she was a temporary leader and therefore prevented from being selected as the PC leader at the leadership convention.  Same applies (Thank Dog) to Bergen.

They could change the rules but, currently, you are correct. She chose not to run for the leadership but agreed to be the interim leader. 

Edited by JCon

It would be a mistake to underestimate the degree of fervour in the manufactured protests. The American reporter who covered the Ottawa kerfuffle reported that he was in an elevator with one of the protesters and quoted him as saying about Trudeau. "It will get better when we get him." - meaning a real threat of an attack on him. All it takes one crazed idiot.

O'Toole was probably chosen because he was ex-military, and thus seen as hardline and willing to follow orders (presumably from the PC hierarchy) but it turned out he had both a spine and a functioning cerebral cortex. When he tried to nudge the party policy, the knives were sharpened. 

Rona Ambrose presents as intelligent and well-spoken. For all his flaws, Justin Trudeau is not stupid and the Liberal party is very adept in knowing when to change horses. 

2 minutes ago, Tracker said:

It would be a mistake to underestimate the degree of fervour in the manufactured protests. The American reporter who covered the Ottawa kerfuffle reported that he was in an elevator with one of the protesters and quoted him as saying about Trudeau. "It will get better when we get him." - meaning a real threat of an attack on him. All it takes one crazed idiot.

O'Toole was probably chosen because he was ex-military, and thus seen as hardline and willing to follow orders (presumably from the PC hierarchy) but it turned out he had both a spine and a functioning cerebral cortex. When he tried to nudge the party policy, the knives were sharpened. 

Rona Ambrose presents as intelligent and well-spoken. For all his flaws, Justin Trudeau is not stupid and the Liberal party is very adept in knowing when to change horses. 

I don't agree with this. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Pollievre is just a hack. Literally says anything and does not even understand basic economics. But, sure, put him in charge. 

Yea and his approach is so accommodating and enticing to a diverse set of Canadians from varying backgrounds and experiences that would surely lead to him being the appropriate figure head to lead this great country of ours said no one ever who can put their own personal agendas aside. Trudeau is definitely an elitist who seems to place more favour on how he’s seen globally that in his own backyard and is a bit of a pompous ass but he does at least mimic an inclusive approach now and then. People (wingnuts) like PP come in hot at appeasing to very exclusive clientele. 

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Yea and his approach is so accommodating and enticing to a diverse set of Canadians from varying backgrounds and experiences that would surely lead to him being the appropriate figure head to lead this great country of ours said no one ever who can put their own personal agendas aside. Trudeau is definitely an elitist who seems to place more favour on how he’s seen globally that in his own backyard and is a bit of a pompous ass but he does at least mimic an inclusive approach now and then. People (wingnuts) like PP come in hot at appeasing to very exclusive clientele. 

Pierre is the lowest common dominator, so it's no wonder he's popular among a small group of cons.