Canadian Politics

8 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I can see that- ran out of patience, thought he had an opening and tried to pass the truck in front of him and hit some people in the streets, realized he hit someone, freaked out and drove away? Still pretty shitty that he drove away.

Absolutely disgusting actions by this individual.

I'm baffled this isn't getting as much attention as it should: https://www.cp24.com/news/candice-bergen-shakes-up-o-toole-s-parliamentary-leadership-team-drops-quebec-mp-1.5768848

OTTAWA - New Conservative Interim Leader Candice Bergen has done a clean sweep of former leader Erin O'Toole's leadership team in Parliament.

Tory MPs were informed Friday of the major shakeup, which follows their decision to force O'Toole from the job by a vote of 73 to 45.

Bergen announced that effective immediately Quebec MP Gerard Deltell, Ontario's Michael Barrett, Alberta's Blake Richards and fellow Manitoba MP James Bezan were off the team.

She replaced them with Ontario MP John Brassard, who will serve as her House leader, as well as Tom Kmiec, who will be the Tories' deputy House leader.

Both Brassard and Kmiec were among the nine candidates to have recently run for interim leader.

Bergen also appointed Alberta MP Blaine Calkins as her chief Opposition whip and Ontario's Lianne Rood as her deputy whip.

With the removal of Deltell, the Tories now have no representative from Quebec on their parliamentary leadership team.

That last line is particularly noteworthy. Deltell's been a prominent Quebec Conservative, so I can't imagine this ends well for the CPC as far as its foothold in that province.

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

What an idiot. I'm fortunate not to need to travel in the area, and I'm sure it is really frustrating, but this just gives more powder to the keg. This will definitely be used to excuse their own violence/hate.

3 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Absolutely disgusting actions by this individual.

I'm baffled this isn't getting as much attention as it should: https://www.cp24.com/news/candice-bergen-shakes-up-o-toole-s-parliamentary-leadership-team-drops-quebec-mp-1.5768848

That last line is particularly noteworthy. Deltell's been a prominent Quebec Conservative, so I can't imagine this ends well for the CPC as far as its foothold in that province.

The heretics MST be excised!!!

On 2022-02-04 at 1:32 PM, GCn20 said:

Pierre Pollievre might be the best chance for the CPC. He has his warts but is a very compelling speaker that is very good at rabble rousing. 

Well, I guess you got your wish- first hat to be tossed in the ring:

Also, you should learn to spell the name of the horse you are going to back.

10 hours ago, Mark F said:

Except in the end, when it looked bad for him, he campaigned on muslim fear mongering,  that he hoped would get him votes for instance in rural quebec. and he was an absolute extremist as far as science, and concern for the planet was concerned.

never forget how he  shutndown the experimental lakes funding. funny thing.... they just established that fish populations can recover from  mercury pollution in as little as ten years. good news for polluters maybe.

at least he left health care alone.

Agreed, his environmental record left alot to be desired.

I just don't see why people anywhere think poilievre is a good choice for leader of the party.... Soundbites to rile up the base aren't leadership... screaming "Trudeau BAD!" "Liberals BAD!" isn't leadership... guy has never ever held a job that wasn't politician. He bring absolutely nothing to the table as far as I can see. Trudeau might be a dope but jesus christ compared to this fool.....

Conservatives need someone who can keep the base in line like Harper did if they ever want to have a hope in hell of winning. The majority of voters in Canada won't support a party where it looks like the inmates are running the asylum. O'Tool put forth a pretty good effort to appear progressive in a lot of ways and still didn't manage to win. 

10 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I just don't see why people anywhere think poilievre is a good choice for leader of the party.... Soundbites to rile up the base aren't leadership... screaming "Trudeau BAD!" "Liberals BAD!" isn't leadership... guy has never ever held a job that wasn't politician. He bring absolutely nothing to the table as far as I can see. Trudeau might be a dope but jesus christ compared to this fool.....

Conservatives need someone who can keep the base in line like Harper did if they ever want to have a hope in hell of winning. The majority of voters in Canada won't support a party where it looks like the inmates are running the asylum. O'Toole put forth a pretty good effort to appear progressive in a lot of ways and still didn't manage to win. 

Harper was able to keep the CPC loonies in check so long as he held power. When his accumulated baggage caught up to him and his popularity fell, he was savvy enough to jump before he was pushed.  O'Toole probably threw out a few policies that he hoped would give Canadians a sliver of hope that the CPCers were sane, but we all know how that turned out. There was a good chance he would have backtracked or delayed acting on those promises anyways.

Edited by Tracker

Canadian mayor shuts down Ted Cruz after he agitates for truckers to starve out people with 'empty shelves'

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX), a former Canadian citizen, agitated for truckers to leave the people of Vancouver without food as a punishment for the government's Covid-19 vaccine mandates.

The clash between Cruz and Vancouver Mayor Kennedy Stewart began after the mayor urged truckers protesting vaccine mandates to "make your point and go home."

My statement on tomorrow's planned convoy protest As the Mayor of a city with an over 95 per cent vaccination rate, my message to the convoy is this: Vancouver doesn't want you here. Make your point and then go home."
Although Cruz lives in Texas, he felt the need to weigh in on Canadian affairs.

"Mayor says 'Vancouver doesn’t want' truck drivers there," Cruz wrote on Twitter. "Folks might feel differently with empty shelves."
On Sunday, the mayor fired back.

"Can someone tell @tedcruz our store shelves are fine thanks to the 90% of Canadian truckers who are fully vaccinated," Kennedy wrote on Twitter. "Too busy high-fiving all the awesome folks in #Vancouver that are helping push back against the #hateconvoy."

13 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Picking the guy who once said that former residential school survivors need a stronger work ethic and not more compensation isn't the way to show Canadians you're not a bunch of want to be Republicans.

But yes he clearly is the best choice to represent us nice, upstanding, conscientious small c conservatives.

Oh I think Pierre gets chosen as leader and I can see some positives too, I'm just not sure I see somebody who ends of winning over centrist voters in Ontario and Quebec. I truly believe support of the convoy protesters is going to really hurt politicians comes the next election and embracing the Republican party and its tactics will also hurt. (See I am running for Prime Minister. Grade 5 social studies, Canadians do not directly elect the Prime Minister so you can't run for the job).

36 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Oh I think Pierre gets chosen as leader and I can see some positives too, I'm just not sure I see somebody who ends of winning over centrist voters in Ontario and Quebec. I truly believe support of the convoy protesters is going to really hurt politicians comes the next election and embracing the Republican party and its tactics will also hurt. (See I am running for Prime Minister. Grade 5 social studies, Canadians do not directly elect the Prime Minister so you can't run for the job).

It's a winner for one vote. But,since they already have that vote, I'm not sure chasing more of the same is a winning strategy? Lots of racist garbage in this country but enough?

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

It's a winner for one vote. But,since they already have that vote, I'm not sure chasing more of the same is a winning strategy? Lots of racist garbage in this country but enough?

If they don't placate the crazy base the base will mobilize to push you out so damned if you do, damned if you don't. Problem is the crazy base thinks they are the ones in the majority as opposed to being the vocal minority.

Gov. Ron DeSantis Going After GoFundMe For Dumping Anti-Vaccine Ottawa Truckers

Florida Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis has decided to use state resources to investigate GoFundMe for dumping a group of controversial anti-vaccine truckers protesting in Canada who have been accused by Ottawa police of “unlawful” activity.

The “Freedom Convoy” of truckers has been protesting for a week in downtown Ottawa over the requirement that the drivers must be vaccinated before they can drive across the border into the U.S.

The truckers’ convoy was hit Friday with a $9.8 million class-action complaint for relentlessly blasting their air horns while jamming downtown Ottawa streets. They have also been accused of harassing area residents and shoppers, even assaulting some, and ripping masks off residents’ faces.

Gov. Ron DeSantis Going After GoFundMe For Dumping Anti-Vaccine Ottawa Truckers | HuffPost Latest News

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

If they don't placate the crazy base the base will mobilize to push you out so damned if you do, damned if you don't. Problem is the crazy base thinks they are the ones in the majority as opposed to being the vocal minority.

You can throw shiny things at the crazies and they'll be fine. 

3 hours ago, bustamente said:

Why are Republicans down south so interested in Canada, leave us the **** alone you are ready ****** up your own country and your opinions and interference are not needed or wanted up here 

I suspect that its all about staying in the public eye while making some sort of token gesture. As somone said, "There is no such thing as bad publicity".

4 hours ago, bustamente said:

Why are Republicans down south so interested in Canada, leave us the **** alone you are ready ****** up your own country and your opinions and interference are not needed or wanted up here 

There will a bigger backlash against that kind of support than positivity from it.  It gives a whole lot of ammo for the other parties.

I knew GQP bullshit was bleeding into this country but now we have direct proof of them financing said bullshit.

What's most alarming, if the past week or so has been any indication watching the world's longest tantrum take place, is how many right leaning asshats want that **** here in Canada.

10 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I knew GQP bullshit was bleeding into this country but now we have direct proof of them financing said bullshit.

What's most alarming, if the past week or so has been any indication watching the world's longest tantrum take place, is how many right leaning asshats want that **** here in Canada.

It doesn't take many miscreants to make a big stink and screw things up for many others. We are a country of some 35 million people and even if 1% are scofflaws, that is 350,000 people. The thing about fanatics is that they are rigidly convinced that what they believe is The Truth to the exception of all other points of view and that it is their right to impose on others. Similarly, their ends justifies any means to those ends.

11 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Lol, I just said to my wife they are like spoiled kids stamping their feet , and yelling , I don't want to, you can't make me.

The whole thing is asinine. 

1- Most restrictions are done by Provincal governments. You can protest all you want in Ottawa, the Provincal govs don't care.

2- IF the Feds changed the border crossing rule , my understanding is it wouldn't effect anything as the US have the same resticions. 

3- IF you are a trucker and won't vax, just haul in Canada. Companies are desperate for truckers.

4- No society has ever or will ever have no rules and no restrictions on freedoms.

5- I'd love to see both politicians and the press start to call these idiots out. Make these points and others in press announcements. Show these idiots up for what they really are. Spoiled, selfish  children without a clue as to what they can and can't get. What society needs to function. I've heard enough of "we need to respect their views and decisions."