Canadian Politics

25 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Carbon taxing. A liberal elitist scam. Just awful.  If he thinks we're gonna be off oil in the short term he's nuts. Punishing every day Canadians so he can look good to his elitist pals. This clown isn't remotely up for the job of PM. Disgraceful. 

Recycle much?

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Carbon taxing. A liberal elitist scam. Just awful.  If he thinks we're gonna be off oil in the short term he's nuts. Punishing every day Canadians so he can look good to his elitist pals. This clown isn't remotely up for the job of PM. Disgraceful. 

Oil is not sustainable, environmentally or economically. The oil sands are one of the most expensive oil sources in the world.

On 1/14/2017 at 5:11 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Recycle much?

Ofcourse.  Because I believe in being kind to the planet.  I dont believe in blowing our own brains out in an effort to brag about our committment to the planet to a bunch of out of touch elitists.

On 1/14/2017 at 6:08 PM, Mark H. said:

Oil is not sustainable, environmentally or economically. The oil sands are one of the most expensive oil sources in the world.

I agree.  And I agree in the government incentivizing the move to other fuel sources.  But this carbon scheme is ridiculous.  The whole pollution/global warming thing is such a liberal scam that plays on people's emotions.  Itas laughable really.  Its like the argument used to bring in school zone photo enforcements: "You're either with us or you want to see children laying dead in the street".  How do you argue with something so silly?

On 1/14/2017 at 8:27 PM, kelownabomberfan said:

I like nuclear power.  And Saskatchewan is sitting on some of the biggest uranium reserves in the world.

Bingo. 

Speaking of Canadian politics, I got a ring at my door yesterday afternoon.  A guy wearing  liberal badge hands me a pamphlet and asks how I think the federal government is doing.  I reply "terrible".  MP Terry Duguid was coming up behind the guy and hears that and kind of laughs and introduces himself and asks why I feel that way.  In the moment, I didnt have a well articulated reply but basically said that the carbon tax, rising hydro costs for average Canadians, his billionaires retreat making him seen elitists etc.  Terry sort of nodded in almost a "resigned" manner and said "yeah...I think he's getting a lot of feedback on those issues". 

I could tell he'd heard the same thing repeatedly.  He was a good sport though.  I qualified my response by saying there is always that give & take between voting locally and voting federally and that my issue was with the PM and his policies.  He was appreciative of the somewhat conciliatory tone.

Nice guy though. 

15 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Nice guy though. 

That's been my experience with local politicians of almost every stripe.  Our Conservative MP was a nice guy.  Our new Liberal MP is a nice guy (though his office is right across the hall from mine, I can say that he sure isn't in Kelowna much).  I feel for them when their leaders are the ones that are the targets for a lot of anger, and they have to smile and nod and say "I know what you mean" and eat a lot of poop on behalf of their party, even though they are just the face of the party in your area.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

27 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

That's been my experience with local politicians of almost every stripe.  Our Conservative MP was a nice guy.  Our new Liberal MP is a nice guy (though his office is right across the hall from mine, I can say that he sure isn't in Kelowna much).  I feel for them when their leaders are the ones that are the targets for a lot of anger, and they have to smile and nod and say "I know what you mean" and eat a lot of poop on behalf of their party, even though they are just the face of the party in your area.

They also work far harder than many of us realize. I was talking to Kelly Block when I got a chance to spend a week at Parliament. She gets up at 4:00 Monday morning to drive to Regina, to fly to Toronto, to fly to Ottawa 

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Interesting article from Arlene Dickinson on how fit (or unfit) Kevin O'Leary would be to lead the country. 

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/opinion/kevin-o-leary-conservative-run-arlene-dickinson-opinion-1.3942349

yikes - she's not pulling any punches!  I hope he's not as horrible as she portrays.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yeah that was stiff.  I always got the impression from the limited interaction shown that they were friendly and just played up their roles on TV. 

I read O'Leary's book.  Other than saying she was a bleeding heart he was actually very positive about her.

He was also dismissive about a scathing op-ed by former Dragons’ Den co-star Arlene Dickinson claiming that her fellow dragon is “genuinely unconcerned with the lives of others.”

“She campaigns for (Trudeau),” he said of Dickinson. “Her personal brand is so tied to Trudeau that this is really causing her a lot of stress. Look, I feel sorry for her.”

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/Canada/2017/01/19/22698383.html

23 hours ago, Rich said:

Interesting article from Arlene Dickinson on how fit (or unfit) Kevin O'Leary would be to lead the country. 

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/opinion/kevin-o-leary-conservative-run-arlene-dickinson-opinion-1.3942349

I read this today.

I really do wish the conservatives can come up with better than O'Leary. They need to find a candidate who an balance the economic issues with social issues better than Harpers group did and better than Trudeau ever will.

6 minutes ago, tacklewasher said:

I read this today.

I really do wish the conservatives can come up with better than O'Leary. They need to find a candidate who an balance the economic issues with social issues better than Harpers group did and better than Trudeau ever will.

Maxime Bernier will be the next Prime Minister of Canada.

Another Dragon weighs in:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/01/20/brett-wilson-kevin-o-leary_n_14284808.html

Speaking to CBC News, Wilson said the "rudeness" that came out of Dickinson's criticism of O'Leary was "misguided." He said the television persona O'Leary exhibited over the years does not reflect his true character, adding what viewers say was edited and "exaggerated."

In another story I read, Wilson mentioned he bought O'Leary Financial last year and found it to be the best run company he had ever bought.  He said it was common knowledge in Calgary that Arlene was considering a run for the Liberals.

13 minutes ago, bearpants said:

he sounds like a hockey player... so that will probably help! :D

He has some issues to overcome, like the time he dated a former Hells Angels groupie and left classified NATO documents at her house.  But other than that, he looks to be the most reasonable.  Looks good, speaks well, is energetic and fit.  I think he wins.

Canadians will like O'Leary but he cant win Quebec so the Cons wont make him leader.  And I doubt O'Leary would run for a seat and gain experience as an MP...he's rich, why bother doing that if he cant be PM.  Bernier for the win.  Trudeau wont look as "fresh" next to Bernier as he did Harper and wont have the huge Quebec advantage either.  Bernie was called the "Albertan from Quebec" and has support out West. 

I actually like a lot of O'Learys platform.  But he cant be PM so its moot.