Week 3 (vs Ham...Now With Depth Chart)

Noeller

5 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Perfect example of the "if we win, it's just because we were lucky" mindset.

Perfect example of a troll being a troll. I discussed how good our defence was, and, that they were the difference. Never used the word luck or fortune. But you are simply reading what you want to read.

I attribute this win to our D being tenacious and taking advantage of a very bad 2nd string QB. It wouldn't have been enough to simply force them to punt last night; our D actually went the extra mile to manufacture turn overs off mistakes and even score, too.

But you can't help but read it the way you want, can you? Your constant trolling is boring.

5 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Andrew Harris is good at football.

I was thinking along those lines also. 63 yards on 13 carries. 38 yards on 5 receptions. And the blocking. But it's not so much the yardage figures, it was the smarts, in how he got the yardage, and consequently, the first downs. He was a perfect release valve for Willy. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I was thinking along those lines also. 63 yards on 13 carries. 38 yards on 5 receptions. And the blocking. But it's not so much the yardage figures, it was the smarts, in how he got the yardage, and consequently, the first downs. He was a perfect release valve for Willy. 

Willy gets the ball out to him on those swing passes a little quicker/harder and he has a lot more room to run as well.

17 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Did not understand the goal line sweep to Ryan Smith call...  reminded me of 2011 when we'd do absolutely everything in the red zone except give the ball to Reid.

My thoughts were when we signed Harris that it was a given anything inside the 10 on first down would be given to him. Maybe Lapo is overthinking it and assuming they are keying in on Harris on 1st and goal and hence the sweeps to Smith? I just don't think his skill set (speed in space) is best suited for a stacked box on the goal line as opposed to Harris.

1 minute ago, Nash00 said:

My thoughts were when we signed Harris that it was a given anything inside the 10 on first down would be given to him. Maybe Lapo is overthinking it and assuming they are keying in on Harris on 1st and goal and hence the sweeps to Smith? I just don't think his skill set (speed in space) is best suited for a stacked box on the goal line as opposed to Harris.

Lapo has always been a fan of the receiver sweep... used to do it with Terence Edwards all the time, never liked the call, a lot of lateral movement

Maybe a sweep to Jace Davis might work, he seems fast - but yeah, keep it simple, let Harris do his job in the redzone...  just like we should have let Marshall do his job last year...

How does a player catch a ball that was thrown to a spot on his hip....not see it coming, squeeze it, tumble into the end zone secured in his hand(s) All of this without 'really' seeing it........bloody amazing....Sask. does not know what kind of receiver they let go....Velcro -man with pure instinct is all I can say...just put the ball anywhere near him and it'll stick... I think Willy is really liking this guy and a few other people....Ryan Smith you be the man.

Edited by Stickem
missed word

37 minutes ago, White Out said:

Perfect example of a troll being a troll. I discussed how good our defence was, and, that they were the difference.

AND kept shouting down JPan85 that the dink and dunk passing not only played no role in the win, but was a bad thing.

That is also something you did.  On page 7.

Hamilton has one of the stronger defences in the league and their success comes from massive pressure generated by the front 7.  By intentionally dinking and dunking, Willy did not have the ball in his hands long enough for that pressure to become a factor.  It is called a game plan.  It is nearly the perfect game plan against Hamilton.  In past years we didn't have the personnel to execute it effectively.  This year with Smith and Harris, we do.

Of course the defence also played a huge role in the win.  As did special teams.  Almost like it's a team game...

There will always be differences in opinions here.  That's what makes it a discussion forum.  For many, that's part of the fun.

Constantly behaving in the childish manner you do is what I have no patience for.

49 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

and his blocking....it was great

2 minutes ago, mbrg said:

AND kept shouting down JPan85 that the dink and dunk passing not only played no role in the win, but was a bad thing.

That is also something you did.  On page 7.

Hamilton has one of the stronger defences in the league and their success comes from massive pressure generated by the front 7.  By intentionally dinking and dunking, Willy did not have the ball in his hands long enough for that pressure to become a factor.  It is called a game plan.  It is nearly the perfect game plan against Hamilton.  In past years we didn't have the personnel to execute it effectively.  This year with Smith and Harris, we do.

Of course the defence also played a huge role in the win.  As did special teams.  Almost like it's a team game...

There will always be differences in opinions here.  That's what makes it a discussion forum.  For many, that's part of the fun.

Constantly behaving in the childish manner you do is what I have no patience for.

Please dont attempt to take the high ground and suggest I'm the one acting in a childish manor. People were making valid points that we have to score and that gettings lot of yards is fine unless you can't actually finish. Valid point. It was jpan who came in and threw his hands in the air and talked about how he couldn't hack it anymore. Right back at you and jpan.. grow. up.

10 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Climie had a nice analysis of Harris at the half. As others have said, its not just the running, catching and blocking, its his vision and how he attacks the holes to gain extra yards. You have to love this signing.

Off topic but I'd like to see Combs come home next year.

They should fire up the "Homecoming" ad next off-season... for Coombs and Demski

16 minutes ago, Stickem said:

How does a player catch a ball that was thrown to a spot on his hip....not see it coming, squeeze it, tumble into the end zone secured in his hand(s) All of this without 'really' seeing it........bloody amazing....Sask. does not know what kind of receiver they let go....Velcro -man with pure instinct is all I can say...just put the ball anywhere near him and it'll stick... I think Willy is really liking this guy and a few other people....Ryan Smith you be the man.

Don't forget the bump he took, managed to stay balanced, and then get into the endzone.....it was ridiculous from start to finish.

1 hour ago, Nash00 said:

I'm right there with you.  When they were inside the 10 I was yelling at the screen for them to just give the ball to Harris a couple of times and just smash it in.  Screw throwing it.  Pound that fucker in there as hard as you can!

...oh get your minds out of the gutter.  :)

1 minute ago, Logan007 said:

I'm right there with you.  When they were inside the 10 I was yelling at the screen for them to just give the ball to Harris a couple of times and just smash it in.  Screw throwing it.  Pound that fucker in there as hard as you can!

I'm not so much against the quick slants that use inside leverage as an advantage but lateral across the LOS with that many defenders in the vicinity just seems destined to fail. Misdirection near the goal line is great and all, i just don't think it's being utilized properly here.

4 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

I was hoping for them to pound it up the gut there too. Unfortunately when Goossen is your centre, you're probably looking at a wasted play.

45 minutes ago, Nash00 said:

I'm not so much against the quick slants that use inside leverage as an advantage but lateral across the LOS with that many defenders in the vicinity just seems destined to fail. Misdirection near the goal line is great and all, i just don't think it's being utilized properly here.

yeah the slants if done well are damned hard to stop, especially if you use a bigger receiver to do it. Screwing around with lateral motion behind the LOS though just drives me bonkers. 

Best throw of the night was on second and 20 and Willy hit Davis on the money for the first down. I also think there is going to be a progression to the offensive game plane. First priority is to keep Willy from getting hit quick passing game does that very well. Once team start to figure out that you can't just bring pressure anymore against them it open things up.  So As the year goes along and they have become a more cohesive unit I think they slowly open up the passing game. 

14 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Best throw of the night was on second and 20 and Willy hit Davis on the money for the first down. I also think there is going to be a progression to the offensive game plane. First priority is to keep Willy from getting hit quick passing game does that very well. Once team start to figure out that you can't just bring pressure anymore against them it open things up.  So As the year goes along and they have become a more cohesive unit I think they slowly open up the passing game. 

I noticed that we had better adjustments against the blitz as well. We actually kept guys like Harris and even Smith in to block when Hamilton overloaded and sent seven guys.

18 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Sorry should of quoted White Out

LOL! What I want to know is, and they're showing it on the CFL site, is how the hell Smith caught that pass for a TD without looking or even knowing the ball was being thrown to him? That's one of the most amazing things I've seen. Magnets? Velcro? LOL!