Around The League Regular Season Discussion

Noeller

34 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'm gonna laugh if they were stupid enough to do this IMMEDIATELY as in starting tonight. They've already played a week 9 game under the "old" rules. You can't change it for the other three this week. That's just dumb.

I haven't figured it out yet, but I'm sure this is Orridge trying to put the screws to Transcona fans somehow. Effen league.

38 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Perhaps they re-structure Willy's deal to include less guaranteed and more incentives.  I think he ends up starting again and if his deal gets him back up to a starters salary when he's starting, so be it. 

Ahhh pull a "Denmark" on him already and get the same Willy for half the price.

3 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

You sound like a hick from Sask.  People in big cities have no problem using public transit, it's fast, cheap and convenient and it works even in a little burg like Cowtown. 

I think people on the whole are lazier than they used to be. If there's any difficulty getting to a game they'll just stay home & watch it on their tv screens. What have we heard about the Argo crowds? First game it was too hot, then another game there was the Grand Prix & how difficult it was to get to BMO Field, another game it was a Blue Jays game & the Tragically Hip concert going on.

Same with the Lower Mainland. My son has lived in both the Lower Mainland & now Victoria. I've been to the West Coast quite regularily. The excuses I've heard range from the difficulty getting to & from BC Place, high single game day ticket prices, the 2 to 3,000 Seahawks season ticket holders in the Lower Mainland to nobody cares about the CFL...

1 hour ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Meh, I don't think it really matters. One team is also on a bye. Someone was going to play more/less games with the old rule in place.

I thought we were the last team to take the bye? weren't all teams at 8 GP before last night?

17 minutes ago, Noeller said:

There's 2 byes....is someone taking their second this week?

Toronto is on their bye this week. 

4 games, 8 teams, 1 on the bye. 

The 2nd bye came back in with Ottawa I think.   Tidier schedule with 8 teams playing. 

I think there are 2 weeks where all teams play, and someone gets a short week playing 2 games. 

On August 25, 2016 at 4:53 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

As reported on Rona Roundtable, three biggest cities in Canada are bottom 3 in CFL attendance.

Argos down 7k avg so far. So much for the new home.

The atmosphere and stadium are quite nice.  Facilities seem small, but I had a great time there 2 weeks ago.

On August 25, 2016 at 6:44 PM, bustamente said:

Argos attendance is a joke moving to BMO has not helped 1 bit, Montreal packs the place when they win which in the last few year has been less and less and BC Place looks terrible with the curtains which just masks the problem of the stadium being to big for today's CFL. This could turn out to be a very serious problem for the CFL and it's respective owners.

For the Bomber game on August 12th, the one attendant I talked to said 17,000 tickets sold, but probably 12,000 in attendance for that day.

On August 25, 2016 at 7:03 PM, iso_55 said:

I agree. The Argos move to BMO has been disastrous & the excuses... Oh the excuses. I hate what they've done to BC Place with those curtains. It looks claustrophobic like they play in a closet on tv. The other thing about BC Place is we were in Vancouver last year & thought about going to a game. But you can't drive to the game in Vancouver like you can in Calgary & find a place to park nearby. People have to rely on public transit to get there & back. That may be one of the reasons it's always a challenge to get fans to go to a game at BC Place. The other thing are ticket prices. Single game day prices are expensive in BC. I'm sure it's the same in Toronto.

Parking is poor around BMO field, but the bigger problem is traffic.  Many people around Toronto can't make it to the game fast enough for their liking.  As for the Ticket Prices, I walked up and bought a ticket from a guy wanting to cover his parking.  I paid $25 bucks for a 2nd level seat and felt I could have paid less if I tried.  I ended up sitting in the 2nd row behind the Bombers bench.

On August 26, 2016 at 1:00 AM, bustamente said:

I don't know what there revenue is so i'll take your word about that but not being able to get more than 18,000 people to there home games except the opener in a city of 2.8 million is a joke.  

The attendance was poor for the Aug 12th game.  With that many people, what hurt the Argos is the traffic, the heat/humidity, vacation season, the Argos' record, the Blue Jays playing, the 2nd Tragically Hip Concert, and a Music festival on the same night.  

IMO, Winnipeg should be packing their stadium every game too.  There is no reason as city of 700,000 can't sell 33,500 seats to a game.  Heck, I drive in from Brandon for the games.  

Edited by ALuCsRED

8 hours ago, ALuCsRED said:

The atmosphere and stadium are quite nice.  Facilities seem small, but I had a great time there 2 weeks ago.

For the Bomber game on August 12th, the one attendant I talked to said 17,000 tickets sold, but probably 12,000 in attendance for that day.

Parking is poor around BMO field, but the bigger problem is traffic.  Many people around Toronto can't make it to the game fast enough for their liking.  As for the Ticket Prices, I walked up and bought a ticket from a guy wanting to cover his parking.  I paid $25 bucks for a 2nd level seat and felt I could have paid less if I tried.  I ended up sitting in the 2nd row behind the Bombers bench.

The attendance was poor for the Aug 12th game.  With that many people, what hurt the Argos is the traffic, the heat/humidity, vacation season, the Argos' record, the Blue Jays playing, the 2nd Tragically Hip Concert, and a Music festival on the same night.  

IMO, Winnipeg should be packing their stadium every game too.  There is no reason as city of 700,000 can't sell 33,500 seats to a game.  Heck, I drive in from Brandon for the games.  

So i'm guessing the soccer club doesn't have to deal any problems (excuses) the Argos have, and they consistently get 27k to there games, the fact is as much as TSN will tell everybody that tailgating and the fact that BMO is in a hip and up and coming area the Argos have lost generations of fans in years gone by and as a whole the league that is shrinking attendance wise.

4 hours ago, bustamente said:

So i'm guessing the soccer club doesn't have to deal any problems (excuses) the Argos have, and they consistently get 27k to there games, the fact is as much as TSN will tell everybody that tailgating and the fact that BMO is in a hip and up and coming area the Argos have lost generations of fans in years gone by and as a whole the league that is shrinking attendance wise.

This season is the first one they've done that. In the previous 2 seasons they averaged just over 22,000 in 2014 and just under 23,500 in 2015.

Edited by Jacquie

21 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

This season is the first one they've done that. In the previous 2 seasons they averaged just over 22,000 in 2014 and just under 23,500 in 2015.

Argos wish they could get those numbers, and thanks for proving my point after renovations there fan base has increased while the Argo's has flat lined.

21 hours ago, bustamente said:

Argos wish they could get those numbers, and thanks for proving my point after renovations there fan base has increased while the Argo's has flat lined.

It is going to take some massive marketing effort to get the Argos relevant again in the Toronto market. I have hope that it will work. After that then maybe momentum will bring Vancouver back to the CFL fan base. Canadian style football is quite popular in Quebec at least from a talent point of view so there is some hope there. Call me a crazy optimist but there is a chance the big cities can be reclaimed. 

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

So is the CFL supposed to pay an arbitrator 100k+ to sit and do nothing for 95% of the season just so the 1 or 2 suspension appeals can be heard in a timely manner?

Some of these things are like elephants porking- there's a lot of dust raised but its years before you see any result.