Around The League Regular Season Discussion

Noeller

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

I think the big difference between Jones/Murphy and O'Shea/Walters is that there seemed to be a coherent plan here from the beginning... or at the very least they've never given us a 1-7 team.  Jones/Murphy just seem to be throwing **** at the wall and seeing what sticks.  And so far... not much is sticking.

It was the same when Kelly and Murphy were here too. We axed a lot of players and had a revolving door trying to replace them all season. Big FA qb Lefors cut to play how many different guys at qb the rest of the year? I really think Murphy is showing himself to be a guy who can do some scouting and find some players, but he needs a good strong GM over top of him to keep him from going full *****. Mike Kelly and Chris Jones are too impatient and egotistical to reign him in and it's just a clusterfuck. 

3 hours ago, Mark F said:

Other than the fact that a lot of people dislike Chris Jones , don't Jones and Murphy get some patience and time ? 

They need three years just as much as any other duo don't they?  Say.... O'Shea and Walters?

I think some bomber fans actually enjoy seeing the Riders lose, more than seeing the Bombers win lol.... similar to Vikings fans hatred for the Pack.  Double bonus when Jones is ruining running it...... lol :D

Problem is what damage are they doing to the rider brand. It's one thing to be 1 and 7 but it's another thing to be 1 and 7 and running a complete **** show 

6 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Problem is what damage are they doing to the rider brand. It's one thing to be 1 and 7 but it's another thing to be 1 and 7 and running a complete **** show 

truth be told, that fan base needed to be thinned out really badly. Get it back to the real fans and thin out all the 2007 wannabes...

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

truth be told, that fan base needed to be thinned out really badly. Get it back to the real fans and thin out all the 2007 wannabes...

100% this. They need a good long stretch of this clown show to weed out the band wagon jumpers. They'll be a lot more tolerable as a fan base once they learn a bit of humility. 

37 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

We should...

Pass and feel lucky for the first time in years we don't have to pick up teams left over scraps.

I don't think we need him but he seemed to be having a decent season. Hello retirement (aka rejecting an offer from Sask)

Yeah, I love listening in to that kind of stuff, especially if the commentators are on it and translate it a bit.

Wonder what Dave D. and Austin think about all the viewers (and opposing teams!) eavesdropping on them.  If I recall right, Lapo wasn't a fan when they did a similar thing in preseason a few years back.

3 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

I'm not sure how I feel about the optics of asking a guy to restructure mid season.

Me neither.

But when you look at it ... I guess the way you pitch it to him is "do you want to restructure or do you want to find a new employer?" (nicer than that, obviously)

Not a big fan of this but I trust Walters can get it done in the best interests of all of those involved. For all the perceived knocks against him, contract negotiation definitely hasn't been one of them.

5 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

I'm not sure how I feel about the optics of asking a guy to restructure mid season.

Generally I would agree, but I mean the guy has to realize that his contract was based on him starting for the team throughout the season.

In his current position I would almost welcome the proposal to restructure... given that if the Bombers don't restructure it is almost certain that he will be cut... with any offers from teams looking to pick him up being nowhere near what he is currently making, nor likely to even match what I expect the Bombers will offer in a restructured contract (which will likely end up with a much smaller base salary and options to increase back up to 400k if he starts some games)

23 minutes ago, Goalie said:

According to Farhan Lalji the bombers and drew willy will be having a chat soon about restructuring his contract. Lalji says the days of willy making 400 grand are over 

What's guaranteed in his contract, anyone know?

Edited by HardCoreBlue
Spelling

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

If I'm Willy, no chance in hell I restructure.  I would say cut me or pay me what you owe me.  He will get another contract as a backup elsewhere so no reason to restructure here unless he really loves Winnipeg. 

It would be in his best interests to see what the Bombers are offering before he tries that. He might get another contract this year, but it will be a backup QB job at less than half of the $400K he's being paid now. Likely between $150-175K.

9 hours ago, Mike said:

All I know is that if Rider fans are worried about a team (us, they seem to think) scooping John Murphy in the offseason, his body of work this year has sure done a good job of ensuring we won't want to.

He's been miserable this year.

Yeah, I admit that I was one of the posters that really pumped Murphy's tires here & it looks like I was totally wrong about the guy. I can say that I've done a total 180 about Murphy. Or is it 360??? ;) After the way he's handled things as Asst GM in Saskatchewan he's shown he can't take over a team as the guy in charge. I wouldn't want him even near the Bombers in any capacity.  Looks like John Hufnagel kept him reigned in & had success in Calgary with Huff calling the shots. Murphy has had a terrible year starting with the brutal job he did with the CFL Draft.

46 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

I can remember the media ****storm when the Bombers restructured LeFors' contract mid-season back in 2009. It would be interesting to see what the reaction would be now.

I think most fans would be okay with it. Didn't Kelly try to restructure when LeFors was out with an injury? I think that was a big part of the negative reaction that happened. It looked like Kelly was kicking LeFors when he was down.

Edited by iso_55