Around The League Regular Season Discussion

Noeller

50 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Interesting take 

No one is taking money away from the players.  It's very unlikely the Riders are at the cap now.  Every team except perhaps Montreal leaves space to make some moves later in the season.  If anything, this just means the Riders will have to bow out if some Muamba-like player hits the FA market mid-September.  The player will still get money and a job, just not with the moldkings.

And I am more than fine with them suffering that.

2 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

Is this a joke? I mean look at the huge overreaction to inflate gate. Do you think if Spygate hadn't happened there wouldn't be such an overpunishment for what is in the end a minor infraction. I am not saying Patriots are innocent since they actively campaigned for teams to control balls, so why else would you except to manipulate the balls. Whatever back to our favourite form of cheating at football. Caught green handed. I shouldn't smirk but seeing so much Rider merchandise in Winnipeg stores drives me nuts and I would enjoy seeing Jones squirming.

Yes.. it was 100% sarcasm... Bill Belichick will be known as a cheater til the day he dies...

3 minutes ago, nate007 said:

Uhhhh, didn't a team lose a pick a few years back for being over the cap (Montreal maybe?).

Good point.  I think what he means though is the commissioner cannot take away draft picks as punishment unless there is tampering.

Losing picks for cap reasons isn't punishment from the commissioner, it spelled out clearly in the rules that govern how the cap is run.

6 hours ago, wbbfan said:

It used to happen a lot. Teams would pay guys to stick around off roster, or pay PR guys extra money to stick around, (pr money used to be ridiculously small) now guys get hidden on IR. On and off the 6 game every couple weeks the way teams game the roster has changed. The problem is the riders havent been doing it the new way. 

IIRC there was/is a minimum salary for PR players but there's no rule that they couldn't be paid more. 

41 minutes ago, Rich said:

Good point.  I think what he means though is the commissioner cannot take away draft picks as punishment unless there is tampering.

Losing picks for cap reasons isn't punishment from the commissioner, it spelled out clearly in the rules that govern how the cap is run.

Correct, the loss of picks for being significantly over the cap is a clearly defined penalty.   I would suggest that the extra amounts that the Riders have paid for the "outlaw" players should be applied to the cap.  If, at the end of the season, they are over the cap by the requisite amount,  they should face this penalty.

Reynolds doing a paper/over job and tripping over himself with apologies...lol...Even seemed to sound like Mike Kelly with the line...'I won't comment on it any further and it's being handled internally'...Was he taking notes when our old illustrious coach was at his worst here, or did he attend one of Kelly's courses on how not to succeed...lol...

29 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Reynolds doing a paper/over job and tripping over himself with apologies...lol...Even seemed to sound like Mike Kelly with the line...'I won't comment on it any further and it's being handled internally'...Was he taking notes when our old illustrious coach was at his worst here, or did he attend one of Kelly's courses on how not to succeed...lol...

Only difference is I don't think the Rider media will be as harsh on him as Winnipeg media was on Kelly. 

8 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Interesting take 

Interesting point, but unless any players are cut as a result of the decrease, it doesn't really come down on them. The fine for being over the cap just comes out of the team's pocket.

Basically, it's a glorified fine, and it prevents the team from adding any more players without paying extra.

6 hours ago, Jacquie said:

IIRC there was/is a minimum salary for PR players but there's no rule that they couldn't be paid more. 

Yeah. It used to be 1000 bucks a week for a while And at one point late 90s early 2ks it was like 600. 

I think removal of a couple neg list players from ssk list and reducing there cap of NLers for the year would be better punishment. 

2013 Grey Cup to Now

Just rewatched it and I'm convinced we will be back there again. And this major bump in the road will make seeing the cup hoisted by our boys so much sweeter. 

Ye of little faith, hold on. We will prevail. It's a journey not a sprint. Greatness comes and goes. But if we enjoy the journey then that next Grey Cup will really be special. 

No matter what happens we are the greatest fans on the planet and no amount of adversity will shake our love and support for this team. That's why Rider Pride is unlike anything else in Canada and it's the glue that holds us together that many other teams try to replicate but without the same success. Growing up in Saskatchewan's small towns and cities where we all know what it's like to bleed green is the difference. GO RIDERS!!!

The RF is always good, for a good laugh.