Around The League Regular Season Discussion

Noeller

36 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Is it common knowledge?  Not so sure about that... I've never heard of other teams doing what the Riders are doing.  Can you point to anyone outside riderfans.com that has this common knowledge?

Madani mentioned it today about how many players Popp has in Montreal.

45 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Investigated, fine. I have no problem with it. when its common knowledge other teams are doing it, would it not seem appropriate to you to investigate all the teams?? I know you guys are hoping beyond hope that the riders get nailed to the wall but I think you may be disappointed.

Investigated, fine. I have some problem with it, because we may be the only team caught. When its common knowledge suspected other teams are doing it, would it not seem appropriate to you to investigate all the teams?? a league-wide investigation may be needed, should any other accusations or reasoning come up. I know you guys are hoping beyond hope that the riders get nailed to the wall but I think you may be disappointed.  I know you guys see this as the 2nd of two major roster violations already this month, but remember this is Chris Jones. A winner. And this is the Riders. Canada's Team. Why don't you love us, again? We're the bestest. 

31 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

The many faces of ripper and it all begins with "yeah but...". You should change your handle to Yeah But, know that?

It's not common knowledge that other teams carry more players than the rules state. Your making up junk. You have no evidence. Therefore there is no evidence to start an investigation of other teams. I'll characterize your statement as others are guilty as equivalent to a young immature boy getting caught stealing cookies. 

and now your saying it's ok to be investigated AND you have no problem with that. Well you YOU do have a problem with the investigation because you've said "but but but...". 

I think you'll be disappointed when the title "cheater" is attached to your coach and the entire franchise, for years and years to come. Every time a green jersey is seen in an opponents stadium, you'll be hearing, whispers and shouts, "there's the cheaters".

Your right. No sense looking at what any of the other teams are doing and have been doing. Just nail the riders to the wall. Evidence? Not sure how capable you are of being a grown up, but lets wait and see what actual evidence there is in Taxigate. If actual evidence is brought forward that the Riders are paying players not on the roster then fine them and take draft picks or whatever. I know you guys sit on your moral high horse and think I'm a cheater and think its ok for the riders to cheat because I'm from Saskatchewan. Everyone here is dishonest and will do anything underhanded to win... bla bla bla..   The Riders is the most important sporting thing in many of our lives and how the organization looks is very important to everyone. So you are drunk or delusional if you think a shyte storm won't be coming down on Jones if anything is proven. Just because I am not going along with your witch hunt doesn't mean myself and many other long time fans aren't watching the situation closely. At this point its just gossip mixed in with wishful thinking, nothing more. If having extra players in town that are not being paid is not against the rules, I could give a fake what you or anyone else thinks about how it looks. If is not a rule violation then too bad.

5 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Your right. No sense looking at what any of the other teams are doing and have been doing. Just nail the riders to the wall. Evidence? Not sure how capable you are of being a grown up, but lets wait and see what actual evidence there is in Taxigate. If actual evidence is brought forward that the Riders are paying players not on the roster then fine them and take draft picks or whatever. I know you guys sit on your moral high horse and think I'm a cheater and think its ok for the riders to cheat because I'm from Saskatchewan. Everyone here is dishonest and will do anything underhanded to win... bla bla bla..   The Riders is the most important sporting thing in many of our lives and how the organization looks is very important to everyone. So you are drunk or delusional if you think a shyte storm won't be coming down on Jones if anything is proven. Just because I am not going along with your witch hunt doesn't mean myself and many other long time fans aren't watching the situation closely. At this point its just gossip mixed in with wishful thinking, nothing more. If having extra players in town that are not being paid is not against the rules, I could give a fake what you or anyone else thinks about how it looks. If is not a rule violation then too bad.

Riders have been nailing themselves to the wall, we don't need to help them ...

Ripper wants the whole league investigated? I have no problem with that so long as some credible evidence or accusation against another team is made first. This isn't and can't be turned into a league wide witch hunt because the Riders got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. An investigation like this, if done properly, will take weeks to complete and will cost a lot of money. Is it fair? Yes it's fair. When an allegation is made against one team that is what should be investigated, not a league wide witch hunt. If the Riders have some credible evidence to support that other teams are doing the same, in the course of them being investigated they can bring that forward and the league can investigate the other team or teams on the basis of their accusation.

Ripper this isn't about what other teams are doing. This is about what the Riders are doing. They are the ones who have some explaining to do....and it's looking more and more like the Riders are going to go down HARD for this.

Edited by gcn11

20 minutes ago, Ripper said:

So the house down the street is suspected of being a crack house. Should every other house on the block be investigated as well? You sound desperate right now.

1 hour ago, Rod Black said:

That statement is absurd. Saskatchewan is being investigated because of evidence, you want ALL teams investigated because YOUR team got caught AGAIN?

I'll review Saskatchewan and their use of numbers.

Several years ago over the salary cap and sanctioned.

Recently sanctioned for misuse of ratio.

Evidence of more players than 46 on roster. 

Evidence of more players than 10 on practice squad.

Smoke billowing that there maybe 10 more players participating in club activities.

and of course the sign said "let the 13th man be your worstest nightmare". And blowing a Grey Cup, by an inability to count.

AND 10 Grey Cups wins is more than 4.

collectively your group must be the biggest bunch of drop outs in the league. I get it. You'll say the whole league is bad at the gozintas.

They have also changed their 46 man roster twice this year after submitting it. They would had permission from the league / other team to do so. League has helped them out and this is the thanks they get. Lol

They had to replace a total of 3 injured players but wouldn't they have known they were injured before they submitted their roster. I mean teams normally just have a walk through the day before the game, unless Jones puts them through a 5 hour practice or something. 

They also got fined a few years ago for having veteran players participate at 2 mini camps instead of just the one that's allowed.

I also seem to recall they got fined for having a player take part in practice before he was signed with the team. That was about 3 or 4 years ago but I couldn't find the details with a quick google search, just going by memory.

It is often the media ( those who at least pay attention at practice) who discover players not previously listed and accounted for on rosters. Tricks like duplicate numbers at practice, no numbers on jerseys or mixed up jersey numbers have been us d to hide players. If you ain't cheating you ain't trying. Just ask New England.

Holy ****... it is unbelievable the spin some of these posters put on this scandal:

For years the Riders did with out and now they have a real budget outside of the SMS and some teams dont want to spend to what the Riders are in getting talent and now we have to blow it all up to level the playing field all over again.

The league has evolved to what it is today without much of wimper and all of a sudden the Riders go out and get a top coach and a top player personal guy, get rid of the napkins and set up a real scouting system bringing players in to try out and its now against the spirit of the rules that were set up.

Its smelling like some are getting scared what a competitive Rider team might do to the league besides being their biggest revenue generator.

and the corresponding gem:

Oh, I agree. Saskatchewan is suddenly not acting like the pain-in-the-butt kid brother anymore. It's swinging back, and it turns out it has put on a few pounds recently. Our role has always been to "just get by" in the big kids' world, and in the last decade, we've exceeded expectations. Now we're flexing our muscles, and the big kids are getting worried.

No, not about our record (1-5). Just about what it will mean if we do all of the things you've mentioned, like spending money on coaches and facilities, and demonstrate a willingness to push the boundaries instead of simply saying "thank you sir, may I have another" when other teams do the same things.

it's really funny... sad also.... very very sad.

***Edit***

Just to be clear... this IS in fact some responses to what's the word...? Taxigate? Pre-practicegate?

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy
just to be clear

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

Investigated, fine. I have no problem with it. when its common knowledge other teams are doing it, would it not seem appropriate to you to investigate all the teams?? I know you guys are hoping beyond hope that the riders get nailed to the wall but I think you may be disappointed.

Here's what I would consider normal practise in the CFL - a coach or GM tells a player who gets injured in camp "maybe you should stick around town for a while".  They saw something they liked about him but circumstances prevented him from winning the job outright.  If an injury happens in week 4, they're probably on the phone trying to get him back in the country.  It's left up to the player to decide if they want to spend some time in Winnipeg unemployed waiting on the hope of a job or head home and get a real job.  And if they stick around, they probably won't have any trouble finding a couch to crash on somewhere, and probably not all 3 of their 3 squares a day are coming out of their own pocket.  And he would have full access to the facility and all it's resources.  This is what I understand to be happening when people say "everyone is doing it".

I think a guy like Kris Adams might have fallen in that category.  I have absolutely no knowledge of that situation and am using it purely as a hypothetical, but to me that is what I would consider normal and reasonably acceptable practise in the CFL.

While their is a limit to how long you can stay in Canada on a work visa when you are no longer employed, I don't think you have to leave the country immediately, so I don't believe their is anything unethical or illegal happening in the hypothetical I gave.

What is alleged with the Riders is something monumentally beyond that.

I agree with 17to85, this speaks to Jones' massive ego and the belief that rules don't apply to him.  Now his arrogance is combined with the Riders' bank account.

I'd have no problem with the CFL investigating all 9 teams.  Will they find out "everyone is doing it"?  Yes, if we're talking about the situation I've outlined.  Every team has to be doing that.  Every team doing what the Riders are alleged to be doing?  No chance in the slightest.

7 minutes ago, mbrg said:

I think a guy like Kris Adams might have fallen in that category. 

Kris Adams started the season on the 6 game and was activated for game 7.  I've yet to see a player in practice who I didn't know not be announced on the Bomber web site by at least end of the day I'd seen him.

Edited by JohnnyOnTheSpot