Around The League Regular Season Discussion

Noeller

Larger sanctions are certainly in order. What can't be changed is that the Ssk football club is guilty. Twice in two weeks of breaking very important rules. That's twice they have thought they were smarter than the average CFL club.

in all honesty, no embellishment or slander, the Saskatchewan Roughrider Football Club are Cheaters. The cheater label will accurately stick with them. Bunch of cheaters, they are. 

History now shows them as cheaters.

Edited by Rod Black
Fact addition

Well there goes that last grain of respect I had for the Riders. I was hoping this wasn't true cause it looks bad on the league as a whole. And all the fans laughing at the messily $86k. It may not hit them immediately but this is going to hurt the club in the long run. Their 1-5 record. Opening a new stadium and now likely going to be over the cap at the end of the year hitting the bank account even more. 

And to top it off cheating and they still can't field a half assed team! Laughing stock of the league and I'm glad that title is off the Bombers shoulders! Saturday's game is gonna be one hell of a game to watch. 

2 hours ago, Ripper said:

Not angry, don't even follow the guy. I guess I was a bit put out with the Hardy article a bit ago. It came out Hardy had called us months ago and there was f'all to the storey. Dunk was kind of making it seem like we were trying to sign him and the league had to step in. I felt his intentions were really nothing more than slinging mud at the riders. I'm sorry but I don't think good reporters do that.

Didn't the CFL intervene to prevent that signing? They didn't want the embarrassment of signing a guy who beats up women. I mean, if Jones wants to sign players like that then he'll be up to his neck in the mud himself.

It's not about being fair and/or following the rules. 

The league did exactly what I thought they'd do. For Orridge, it's all about money and the health of the league. Hurting the already-hurting-Riders doesn't help anything. Like it or not, they are good for the league, and the league wants the Riders playing good football ASAP. 

6 minutes ago, J5V said:

The league did exactly what I thought they'd do. For Orridge, it's all about money and the health of the league. Hurting the already-hurting-Riders doesn't help anything. Like it or not, they are good for the league, and the league wants the Riders playing good football ASAP. 

And Orridge told you this? How are the Riders any better for the league than any of the other 8 team?

12 minutes ago, J5V said:

A province of 1 million drives everything? Nobody watches in the rest of the league?

4 hours ago, iso_55 said:

This Craig (?) Reynolds guy with the Riders seems like a decent guy as accountants go. But what the Riders really needed wasn't an accountant running the team, they needed an experienced football guy as President. 

I think this incident shows why they have an accountant for a President/CEO. They need someone to figure out how best to doctor the books to hide the money spent.

3 hours ago, tracker said:

I think the proper penalty would be a loss of salary cap double what the Riders spent off the books. And that ought to be applied this year.

They have lost cap space for this year in addition to the fine.

6 hours ago, IC Khari said:

Come on tell me this isn't getting to or has already gotten to the Mike Kelly level yet? LOL ... 

As classic as that was it should be noted that it was a friend of Murphy's who started that particular circus show.

Edited by Jacquie

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

needed to see fines in the high 6-figures and loss of at least their 1st rounder next year.....86k is a joke.

The NFL salary cap is about 30 times the size of the CFL's, so this fine would equate to $1.8 million in that league. And the whole Spygate fiasco cost the team only $250,000 (the league maximum, by the way) and $500K for Belicheat personally, and that was by far the biggest in NFL history, so comparatively this is a big hit. No way we'd ever see a high 6-figure fine. 

8 hours ago, Chaosmonkey said:

A slap on the wrist and being told to smarten up. Is that enough to change the behavior? And if it does change, do they actually stop cheating, or just look for ways to better hide it?

You can bet other GM's are angry with the Riders and will force Orridge to keep a sharp eye on their future accountability.  Having a rogue coach who doesn't follow rules "closely" is one thing but when that person continues the same lack of respect for rules as the head of an organization that is a completely different matter,  The head drives the organization and ethics and standards he deems acceptable are passed on down through all subordinates.  At this point both Jones and Murphy are being exposed as being dishonest and deceitful.

This could well blow up in Jones face and despite his football savvy if reports of infractions continue to come out the Riders Board may decide it is in the best interest of their team and reputation to relieve him of his managerial position.  At that point I would expect that Jones would chose to relinquish his coaching position and move on with his pursuit of an NFL coaching career leaving a red-hot mess in Sask. in his wake.

7 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The NFL salary cap is about 30 times the size of the CFL's, so this fine would equate to $1.8 million in that league. And the whole Spygate fiasco cost the team only $250,000 (the league maximum, by the way) and $500K for Belicheat personally, and that was by far the biggest in NFL history, so comparatively this is a big hit. No way we'd ever see a high 6-figure fine. 

Good comparison, thanks for that, but I'm fairly sure the Pats were docked some draft picks too (I'll look into it)... I would have liked to have seen more of an on-field hit... take away a first round pick (or more) and hand some kind of suspension to Jones...

EDIT: The Pats also lost a first round pick...

http://nesn.com/2012/03/bill-belichick-patriots-got-off-easy-with-spygate-punishment-in-comparison-to-sean-payton-saints-bou/

Edited by bearpants