Cortez among OC's on Bomber wish list

Mr. Perfect

Cortez has won FIVE Cups as an OC, I don't care about his recent failure or perceived failure. The BC offence looked pretty darn good with him in charge and he was a champ as recently as two years ago. Is he interested is the only issue IMO. He's no spring chicken. I remember hearing that Harris didn't like his offence, well sorry but if he wants to not sign here because of it so be it. How many Cups have Lapo's teams WON again?

You should.

The CFL is a constantly evolving league. Would you want Wally Buono as a head coach these days? I sure wouldn't. Why? Because the game has passed him by, and there's an argument to be made that the same thing has happened to Cortez.

Cortez wouldn't be my first choice. Like I said ... if Willy likes him enough, fine. But I'm wary of hiring him.

Given that Cortez wasn't exactly a one off successful OC, he's been around forever and ran good offenses forever I think he has demonstrated an ability to adapt to a constantly evolving league. Maybe he's just getting too old for this ****... but I won't question his ability to keep up with the times. He's got as proven a track record as you can ask for, including with our current starting qb so he'd be in the top group of my wishlist for sure. 

I'm just excited that we have a real list and that we have access to it.

We actually get to see who they're thinking about.

I just hope they don't show it to the man who will be running it. Wouldn't want his thought process to interfere with the process of selecting who he will be conversing with...daily.

That's a face-palmer (slapper?) alright.

Top rated by who Mark? Certainly not his last two employers. I think there are better candidates out there and they won't cost us a shot at Harris.

Good point. If Cortez is as good as some here are suggesting, then how come BC and Sask let him go?

The same reason guys like Don Matthews got fired. Coaches are hired to be fired. Nature of the beast regardless of winning.

Funny how people throw Sask in there too considering he was the OC of their staff when they won the Grey Cup in 2013, and the offence was one of the top in the league in 2014 until Durant got hurt in the Banjo Bowl. He was a scapegoat when things went in the toilet with Sunseri.

Top rated by who Mark? Certainly not his last two employers. I think there are better candidates out there and they won't cost us a shot at Harris.

Good point. If Cortez is as good as some here are suggesting, then how come BC and Sask let him go?

The same reason guys like Don Matthews got fired. Coaches are hired to be fired. Nature of the beast regardless of winning.

Funny how people throw Sask in there too considering he was the OC of their staff when they won the Grey Cup in 2013, and the offence was one of the top in the league in 2014 until Durant got hurt in the Banjo Bowl. He was a scapegoat when things went in the toilet with Sunseri.

Ya, not even Gordon Ramsay could make chicken salad from chicken crap ...

ok, I got temporarily excited about cortez .... should say.... highly rated...

which I think is accurate.

But I still don't think running back gets picked over a coach whoever the coach ends up being.

I don't want Chaps either. He is Marcel v2.0 imo. His offences only have a chance if there is an all star calibre OL.

Agreed. Chapdelaine has way too many similarities to Marcel IMO.

I dont think most of the good offense we saw out of the riders while marcel was there had any thing to do with him. I think it was danny barret. Post db i think marcel has been the worst oc in pro football. Id take almost any current OC over him.

Doesnt mean that just any one should be the goal though. PLop is way down on that list too. We all want a top notch guy, like maas. But we are only gonna get a guy like that if we offer a slight promotion, like asst head coach and a ton of money.

You also need to consider who would make the best HC. There is a chance that Osh doesn't see LDC if things go south next year.

I don't want Hall, he's far too soft, Cortez was the same, that leaves Chappy or Plap.

NO! I can not stress this enough. Don't hire a coordinator expecting them to be the next head coach. How the **** has that worked out for this team the last times they've done it? Daley, Burke, disastrous. Hire the best OC for the team right now and if OShea gets fired midseason then just ride out the year cause the year is already ****** anyway and do a full search for a new head coach in the offseason. 

You also need to consider who would make the best HC. There is a chance that Osh doesn't see LDC if things go south next year.

I don't want Hall, he's far too soft, Cortez was the same, that leaves Chappy or Plap.

NO! I can not stress this enough. Don't hire a coordinator expecting them to be the next head coach. How the **** has that worked out for this team the last times they've done it? Daley, Burke, disastrous. Hire the best OC for the team right now and if OShea gets fired midseason then just ride out the year cause the year is already ****** anyway and do a full search for a new head coach in the offseason. 

Didn't say it was the right thing to do Dave but, money will always be the driving force with the BOD and if they can save a few bucks on severance, they will.

Cortez informed Buono of his intention of retiring, the Lions didn't let him go. Sounds more and more like Lapo will become the bombers new OC, I'm surprised Brady's name isn't being talked about more.

Didn't say it was the right thing to do Dave but, money will always be the driving force with the BOD and if they can save a few bucks on severance, they will.

If we wish to escape this hell, we must do it as Bruce Wayne did. Without the rope.

the game has passed him by, and there's an argument to be made that the same thing has happened to Cortez.

What is that argument? Asking in good faith -- I'd really like to see Cortez in blue but all I'm going on is the numbers and the couple times I watched his Jennings O late last season. Very curious what you see / hear.

Is it an X's and O's thing? Is it an interpersonal thing? Something else?

the game has passed him by, and there's an argument to be made that the same thing has happened to Cortez.

What is that argument? Asking in good faith -- I'd really like to see Cortez in blue but all I'm going on is the numbers and the couple times I watched his Jennings O late last season. Very curious what you see / hear.

Is it an X's and O's thing? Is it an interpersonal thing? Something else?

Mike likes to shun the old guard and hop on the bandwagon of the up and commers?

Didn't say it was the right thing to do Dave but, money will always be the driving force with the BOD and if they can save a few bucks on severance, they will.

bullshit. I guarantee that thought hasn't even entered their heads because they aren't entertaining the idea that they would all fail. Isn't O'Shea going into the last year of his contract anyway? So if they fired him there's only the pay out until the end of the season anyway. This is just some nonsense fans cook up because they think they're being smart. They aren't. 

bullshit. I guarantee that thought hasn't even entered their heads because they aren't entertaining the idea that they would all fail. Isn't O'Shea going into the last year of his contract anyway? So if they fired him there's only the pay out until the end of the season anyway. This is just some nonsense fans cook up because they think they're being smart. They aren't.

It's not bs, who is going to sign on as an OC/AHC for just one year? This affects more than O'Shea, your talking about potential cleaning house of everyone if O'Shea is fired, an interim HC installed, and then a new HC search next year, who will want to pick his staff.