Cortez among OC's on Bomber wish list

Mr. Perfect

Tommy Condell intrigues me as well, though there's a risk in that how much of Hamilton's success is him, and how much is from Kent Austin.

That's what worries me....is he just executing Austin's O......also, they appeared to be attached at the hip, and not sure there's any separating them.

Same can be said with Marcus Brady with Millanovich's Offense

Willy gets a yay or nay? Where's the facepalm emoji? 

You don't think the starting qb should  be heard before hiring an oc?

The team should be run by management, not by the players. Asking Willy for his opinion of coaches he's worked under is fine. Asking his opinion of coaches he hasn't worked under... not so much. Giving him a yay or nay? Nope.

You act like it's Willy's choice alone. They'll ask for his opinion - As they should since he's the franchise QB, but he certainly won't be the one making the decision. He's worked under Cortez, so he'll know obviously if that's an offence he likes or not. If your quarterback doesn't feel comfortable running a certain offence, that tends to pose a bit of a problem.

But now of course, TBurg says "YOUR FRANCHISE QB SHOULD BE ABLE TO RUN ANY OFFENSE!! IF HE CAN'T RUN A PROPER OFFENSE, THEN GET A NEW QB!!11!"

IT'S DECEMBER 3RD!!!  WHY HAVEN'T WE HIRED ANYONE YET??!!  THIS IS A COLOSSAL FAILURE!!!  THE OLD BOYS CLUB IS MEDDLING!!!

When we hire someone we both involve the people the potential hire would work with and check previous references.  Willy is the equivalent of both.  Yes, facepalm emoji's all around.

So Cortez...I recall "the word" was that he can be pretty difficult to work with personality-wise, but why point that out when someone will just say "5 cups"?

Sure, you would think that DW would be asked about his thoughts on compatibility with Cortez. I would also guess that R. Hall might have something to add. These are but a few of the elements which could make up part of a pre-screen on his hiring.

The reality is, Cortez longevity in a small league will leave very little to the imagination...except how he was/is able to adapt over time.

Willy gets a yay or nay? Where's the facepalm emoji? 

You don't think the starting qb should  be heard before hiring an oc?

The team should be run by management, not by the players. Asking Willy for his opinion of coaches he's worked under is fine. Asking his opinion of coaches he hasn't worked under... not so much. Giving him a yay or nay? Nope.

You act like it's Willy's choice alone. They'll ask for his opinion - As they should since he's the franchise QB, but he certainly won't be the one making the decision. He's worked under Cortez, so he'll know obviously if that's an offence he likes or not. If your quarterback doesn't feel comfortable running a certain offence, that tends to pose a bit of a problem.

But now of course, TBurg says "YOUR FRANCHISE QB SHOULD BE ABLE TO RUN ANY OFFENSE!! IF HE CAN'T RUN A PROPER OFFENSE, THEN GET A NEW QB!!11!"

IT'S DECEMBER 3RD!!!  WHY HAVEN'T WE HIRED ANYONE YET??!!  THIS IS A COLOSSAL FAILURE!!!  THE OLD BOYS CLUB IS MEDDLING!!!

When we hire someone we both involve the people the potential hire would work with and check previous references.  Willy is the equivalent of both.  Yes, facepalm emoji's all around.

So Cortez...I recall "the word" was that he can be pretty difficult to work with personality-wise, but why point that out when someone will just say "5 cups"?

No, I didn't say either thing.

It would be incredibly stupid to hire an OC whose offense needs a QB with skills that Willy doesn't have. Even our current management wouldn't do that. That being said Willy shouldn't have a choice in OC. He's been a starting CFL QB for less than a year and a half and he liked MB so his opinion on OC's is highly suspect to start with. The choice of OC should come down to who's the best available guy for the job. Someone who can teach Willy to be a better QB is way better than someone who Willy likes.

Willy’s possible endorsement — or a thumbs down — will play a significant role in who ends up in the job.

From the original post. That's different than his 'opinion would be considered'. O'Shea and Walters should be making the decisions, not Willy or any other player for that matter.

Willy’s possible endorsement — or a thumbs down — will play a significant role in who ends up in the job.

From the original post. That's different than his 'opinion would be considered'. O'Shea and Walters should be making the decisions, not Willy or any other player for that matter.

No it's actually not different though. Some opinions have more merit than others, Willy's being one of them. It's still O'Shea's decision (sorry, Walters should have nothing to do with it since it's not his coaching staff) at the end of the day. It's really not a difficult concept to grasp.

Interpretation. His opinion will be considered but the final call is not his. That's how I read it.

Now we're arguing about what the quote really means?  :D

No, I don't believe that players should have the right to choose their boss and make no mistake about it, the OC is Willy's boss. What next? Should the O lineman vote on who their coach is? The RB's? The receivers? The whole offense should get a thumbs up or thumbs down vote on the OC? The whole team gets a thumbs up/down on the HC (With the coaches votes thrown in)? Then hold a vote for GM with everyone involved. Nope. I don't think so.

Maybe Burris or Ray who've been around forever and have played at a high level, but Willy? Ask his opinion. Sure. Thumbs up or down? Not if the team is being run properly.

Now we're arguing about what the quote really means? :D

No, I don't believe that players should have the right to choose their boss and make no mistake about it, the OC is Willy's boss. What next? Should the O lineman vote on who their coach is? The RB's? The receivers? The whole offense should get a thumbs up or thumbs down vote on the OC? The whole team gets a thumbs up/down on the HC (With the coaches votes thrown in)? Then hold a vote for GM with everyone involved. Nope. I don't think so.

Maybe Burris or Ray who've been around forever and have played at a high level, but Willy? Ask his opinion. Sure. Thumbs up or down? Not if the team is being run properly.

Yeah I know it's weird that some of us actually consider what a quote means while you take it 100% literally and lambaste team management based solely on that. You dum.

Cortez has won FIVE Cups as an OC, I don't care about his recent failure or perceived failure. The BC offence looked pretty darn good with him in charge and he was a champ as recently as two years ago. Is he interested is the only issue IMO. He's no spring chicken. I remember hearing that Harris didn't like his offence, well sorry but if he wants to not sign here because of it so be it. How many Cups have Lapo's teams WON again?

You should.

The CFL is a constantly evolving league. Would you want Wally Buono as a head coach these days? I sure wouldn't. Why? Because the game has passed him by, and there's an argument to be made that the same thing has happened to Cortez.

Cortez wouldn't be my first choice. Like I said ... if Willy likes him enough, fine. But I'm wary of hiring him.

In 2013 no one was complaining about his offence. That's pretty recent.  His offence was pretty productive in the second half of last season with a rookie QB at the helm in BC as well. I don't think it's much of an argument.  He hasn't dropped off like say Mike Kelly did from his first stint with the Bombers in 1992. I'm tired of rookies, it would be nice to let an experienced guy try and fix this thing, it worked with Cal Murphy.

An interesting note that's kinda gone unnoticed (or at least not really discussed here...) is that it appears the Bombers are talking to every single possible potential candidate they can get their hands on. "Leaving no stone unturned..." etc etc....which is nice to see.

This is "do or die" for them I think.

focusses the mind.

Of course, the Bombers are going to ask Willy what his thoughts are on George Cortez. Why wouldn't they? He has carnal knowledge of Cortez's offence and would give an extremely valuable opinion on whether or not it would be successful here. It's done ALL the time TBurg. ALL the time. Franchise QBs are always asked for their opinion on former coaches before they are hired.

Cortez is an excellent candidate. However, at the end of the day he has to be a good fit too. If Willy strongly objects to Cortez for some reason the Bombers have to respect that and move onto the next candidate. These two guys have to be able to work together.

However, as I said earlier, Willy has always been complimentary of Cortez.

I don't want Cortez though. It would take us out of the Harris running imo.

Cortez is probably the best Xs & Os guy there is around that is available.  Where he lacks I think is on the interpersonal level, which is why I still question how he handles any type of adversity.  

Great point.

Maybe we hire an assistant OC (I know, maybe not realistic) who has high levels of emotional intelligence to handle the internal 'offense player issues'. Just let Cortez focus on customizing x's and o's match our current talent and let the assistant translate it to the players.

Everyone brings a different but needed skill set to the table.