Cortez among OC's on Bomber wish list

Mr. Perfect

Drew Willy looked very good in his starts under Cortez in Saskatchewan. I'd love to have him over a coach that's already failed twice here....

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/Blue-Bombers-considering-ex-Lion-for-offensive-co-ordinator-spot-360196641.html

The crazy season in the CFL — the annual shuffling of coaching jobs that begins after the Grey Cup — has spit out an intriguing name for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

The B.C. Lions, in addition to announcing Wednesday Wally Buono would return to the sidelines and act as GM after Jeff Tedford resigned amid rumours he was heading back to the NCAA, also indicated veteran offensive co-ordinator George Cortez would not return in 2016.

It’s worth noting Cortez, even before the announcement, was already on the Bombers’ candidate wish list for their vacant offensive co-ordinator position.

So, too, is Bombers Hall of Famer Khari Jones, who spent last season as the Lions’ receivers coach. The Bombers would need permission from the Lions to speak with Jones, but are free to chat with Cortez now.

The Bombers have already begun the interview process for their offensive boss position and there are a number of candidates said to be on the list, including former head coach-turned-TSN analyst Paul LaPolice, Marcus Brady of the Toronto Argonauts, Jarious Jackson of the Edmonton Eskimos, Saskatchewan Roughriders interim head coach Bob Dyce and offensive coordinator Jacques Chapdelaine. Jason Maas, the Ottawa Redblacks offensive guru, has long been on Bombers head coach Mike O’Shea’s wish list but he could be a candidate for the Eskimos if their current head coach, Chris Jones, bolts to the Riders for a GM/head coach gig.

He’s also not going to make a lateral move unless it involves a promotion, such as an assistant head coach title.

All those candidates are likely watching to see what unfolds in Regina, but in Cortez, the Bombers have a candidate they can talk to now.

There is also a connection: Cortez was the Riders offensive co-ordinator in 2013-14, working one year with Drew Willy before the quarterback landed in Winnipeg.

And Willy’s possible endorsement — or a thumbs down — will play a significant role in who ends up in the job.

Cortez has 19 years experience in the CFL, beginning with the Montreal Concordes in 1984.

He has also worked for the Ottawa Rough Riders, Calgary Stampeders and Buffalo Bills before becoming the Hamilton Tiger-Cats’ head coach in 2012.

He was fired by the Ticats after one season, having posted a 6-12 record, but has been a part of five Grey Cup championship teams, four with the Stamps (1992, 1998, 2001 and 2008) and one with the Riders (2013).

The only way I'm board with a Cortez signing is if Willy is. He would know. But I'm not particularly fond of Cortez lately.

One thing worth considering - O'Shea really wants Maas and Ottawa said no, but I'm pretty sure Maas only signed a one year deal as an assistant, therefore his contract would be up December 31st.

EDIT: nvm it's a 2 year :(

Cortez has won FIVE Cups as an OC, I don't care about his recent failure or perceived failure. The BC offence looked pretty darn good with him in charge and he was a champ as recently as two years ago. Is he interested is the only issue IMO. He's no spring chicken. I remember hearing that Harris didn't like his offence, well sorry but if he wants to not sign here because of it so be it. How many Cups have Lapo's teams WON again?

Cortez has won FIVE Cups as an OC, I don't care about his recent failure or perceived failure. The BC offence looked pretty darn good with him in charge and he was a champ as recently as two years ago. Is he interested is the only issue IMO. He's no spring chicken. I remember hearing that Harris didn't like his offence, well sorry but if he wants to not sign here because of it so be it. How many Cups have Lapo's teams WON again?

If forced to choose between Cortez and Harris I'll take Cortez easily. Cortez has the championships as mentioned, and Jennings and Lulay are hardly what anyone would call great quarterbacks so I personally attribute BC's struggles to simply a lack of talent than anything else - A big reason why Wally has taken as much heat as he has lately.

I think there are better ways to spend our money than on a running back regardless of his passport. Take care of the defensive line so we can get some solid pressure without needing to send the house, and work on the offensive line as well. Offensively speaking, you get much better results with a great O-line that can create lanes for a back versus a great running back running behind a poor offensive line. It just doesn't work. We need to dominate the LOS on both sides of the ball in 2016.

You should.

The CFL is a constantly evolving league. Would you want Wally Buono as a head coach these days? I sure wouldn't. Why? Because the game has passed him by, and there's an argument to be made that the same thing has happened to Cortez.

Cortez wouldn't be my first choice. Like I said ... if Willy likes him enough, fine. But I'm wary of hiring him.

Willy gets a yay or nay? Where's the facepalm emoji? 

You don't think the starting qb should  be heard before hiring an oc?

The team should be run by management, not by the players. Asking Willy for his opinion of coaches he's worked under is fine. Asking his opinion of coaches he hasn't worked under... not so much. Giving him a yay or nay? Nope.

The team should be run by management, not by the players. Asking Willy for his opinion of coaches he's worked under is fine. Asking his opinion of coaches he hasn't worked under... not so much. Giving him a yay or nay? Nope.

What are you even arguing, nobody has suggested what you're arguing against.

And if you think they don't consult franchise QBs before making hires that directly affect them, you're sorely mistaken. Is it the final, deciding factor? In some cases. Not in all.

You act like it's Willy's choice alone. They'll ask for his opinion - As they should since he's the franchise QB, but he certainly won't be the one making the decision. He's worked under Cortez, so he'll know obviously if that's an offence he likes or not. If your quarterback doesn't feel comfortable running a certain offence, that tends to pose a bit of a problem.

You act like it's Willy's choice alone. They'll ask for his opinion - As they should since he's the franchise QB, but he certainly won't be the one making the decision. He's worked under Cortez, so he'll know obviously if that's an offence he likes or not. If your quarterback doesn't feel comfortable running a certain offence, that tends to pose a bit of a problem.

But now of course, TBurg says "YOUR FRANCHISE QB SHOULD BE ABLE TO RUN ANY OFFENSE!! IF HE CAN'T RUN A PROPER OFFENSE, THEN GET A NEW QB!!11!"

They heard his opinion in retaining Bellefuille... just saying.

Because a player is really going to say in public they think a member of their coaching staff should be fired....

Give your head a shake.

You should.

The CFL is a constantly evolving league. Would you want Wally Buono as a head coach these days? I sure wouldn't. Why? Because the game has passed him by, and there's an argument to be made that the same thing has happened to Cortez.

Cortez wouldn't be my first choice. Like I said ... if Willy likes him enough, fine. But I'm wary of hiring him.

I would be more concerned about potential lack of evolution or adaptation if he hadn't coached here in a few seasons. His BC offense was perfectly fine with Jennings.

An interesting note that's kinda gone unnoticed (or at least not really discussed here...) is that it appears the Bombers are talking to every single possible potential candidate they can get their hands on. "Leaving no stone unturned..." etc etc....which is nice to see.

Tommy Condell intrigues me as well, though there's a risk in that how much of Hamilton's success is him, and how much is from Kent Austin.

That's what worries me....is he just executing Austin's O......also, they appeared to be attached at the hip, and not sure there's any separating them.