Bombers Trade for Matt Nichols

Jpan85

What have we become here in Bomberland where we have to settle for a washed up QB and a has been RB. Maybe Reaves and Ploen could make a comeback seriously this team has no vision for the future and keeps digging a bigger hole. They had a whole year to find talent and now were being fed table scraps. Have a feeling this forum might explode after the weekend.

How is Nichols washed up exactly?

I agree on the walker signing tho.. Fail big time.

What have we become here in Bomberland where we have to settle for a washed up QB and a has been RB. Maybe Reaves and Ploen could make a comeback seriously this team has no vision for the future and keeps digging a bigger hole. They had a whole year to find talent and now were being fed table scraps. Have a feeling this forum might explode after the weekend.

He played with a better RB tandem better WR and better OL and he couldn't get the job done. He's also have some serious injuries in the 3 plus years in the CFL. Career backup who on a good team is not a starting QB, and apparently can't be the back up either

We're in panic mode. The qb position especially. We didn't recruit this past off season. We re-upped Brohm. That was it.

Thanks for the highlight clip. In it nichols looks like the QB I remember from a couple of years back- mobile, good arm and decisive. I wonder what happened-did Kavis Reed screw him up?

Tib-fib fracture and torn ACL might have something to do with it.

Yes - you guys need to check with a Edmontonian who has been an esks season ticket holder for the past 14 years. I know a lot  about Nichols. JBR told you the deal. See guys, Nichols was a mobile quarterback who used his speed to scramble around and buy time for receivers to open up. Unlike Brohm Nichols is an accurate passer. He does have a weak arm though, never his strong suit. As I said, it was his legs that carried him.

So now, lets go back to JBR's observations which are bang one. When the Eskies got Reilly he was NOT the #1 defacto QB, he was going to battle it out with Nichols. In fact, many here believed that Nichols had the inside track for the job. Up the first exhibition game he was actually performing better - but on his first series in the first exhibition game, after smartly driving the ball downfield, he scrambled into the end zone for a TD and on the play got hit on the knee. The knee was ripped up (and he was coming off a broken leg from the previous season on the same leg) and well, the rest is history. 

He is no longer a 'mobile' QB and his weak arm has been exposed here. Also, he has become very disillusioned here due to the fact he was so close to being a starter.

Nichols is in the last year of his contract and was most definitely not re-signing here. He and his agent made no bones about it - he wanted a legit shot at being a #1 QB and he wasn't getting that here. 

So there's the goods on Nichols. It's why the Esks traded him and got (potentially) so little. 

My take on him - I don't think he's starter material - but I do think he is a capable backup who can fill in when needed. He won't win a team a Grey Cup but he is good enough to not lose a game for a team as he proved here with a 5 - 2 record.

And as noted here, he is far far better than any QB in Wpg is excluding of course the injured Willy so this move is a no brainer for both teams. The Esks dump a QB they don't need, and if he re-signs in Wpg in the off season that pick could be a lot higher.

As for the pick - it's moot. As I've said here many time, the CFL draft is a joke. You take the BPA and he's most likely going to the NFL and if he stays there more than a year you lose his rights anyway. If you take a Jade Etienne you take your chances. He could could turn into a player or a waterboy. Most likely a water boy. IDC what the pick is - we got a legit and viable backup QB. Won't get one of those in the draft. 

Nichols needs to prove something - great trade for the Bombers!!!!!

The conditional 7th rounder is a 7th rounder at most, regardless of what Wilkins said. It's conditional because Nichols will have to hit benchmarks for Edmonton to earn it, they could get nothing at all.

That makes no sense at all.

Doesn't seem that complex a notion. If Nichols meets certain conditions (such as games dressed, games started, re-signing in the off season, or some other conditons) then EDM gets our 7th rounder. If he doesn't meet said conditions, EDM gets nothing at all. If EDM was in fact intending to drop him anyhow, then maybe getting something in return for him is still a better deal than assuredly getting nothing at all.

As for the pick - it's moot. As I've said here many time, the CFL draft is a joke. You take the BPA and he's most likely going to the NFL and if he stays there more than a year you lose his rights anyway. If you take a Jade Etienne you take your chances. He could could turn into a player or a waterboy. Most likely a water boy. IDC what the pick is - we got a legit and viable backup QB. Won't get one of those in the draft. 

No, no you don't.  The Bombers wouldn't have the rights to Mulumba or Bilukidi if that were the case.

No, no you don't.  The Bombers wouldn't have the rights to Mulumba or Bilukidi if that were the case.

I think this is the 2nd time in the last couple weeks that Kpt Krunch has made this assertion. So I will confirm your post above. CFL TEAMS HOLD THE RIGHTS OF ALL DRAFT PICKS INDEFINITELY THAT DON'T SIGN WITH THEM.

I think this is the 2nd time in the last couple weeks that Kpt Krunch has made this assertion. So I will confirm your post above. CFL TEAMS HOLD THE RIGHTS OF ALL DRAFT PICKS INDEFINITELY THAT DON'T SIGN WITH THEM.

He was corrected last time as well.

He never lets little things like facts get in the way of his ranting. 

ohhhh I was 'corrected' lol. Good one (use the waiters voice in 'The Shining' for that one). Yes you are correct - as Anthony Mulumba will be patrolling the Blue bomber dline any day now, won't he? Well, I guess he could. I do get a bit mixed up sometime. What I meant was - you draft a player (Muamba) and he plays well, so well he gets an NFL shot after his two year contract runs out (and before it was in his option year he could do that) well, if/when he fails..... unless his option year was still running - U F A . He can go anywhere. So we drafted Henoc first overall, guess what? He's a UFA if he comes back to the CFL - we don't have his rights. This is what I meant. Still a joke

The conditional 7th rounder is a 7th rounder at most, regardless of what Wilkins said. It's conditional because Nichols will have to hit benchmarks for Edmonton to earn it, they could get nothing at all.

That makes no sense at all.

It makes complete sense. The CFL actually words their transactions quite clearly. If you go back and look at the Brohm trade, see what we traded. A "conditional draft pick", no round listed. Because the conditions were that the value of the pick could escalate depending on Brohm meeting certain benchmarks. What did we trade for Nichols? A "conditional 7th round draft pick", meaning *if* the conditions are met, Edmonton will get a 7th rounder. If they aren't met, the pick (being conditional) will not go to Edmonton.

Yeah, like I'm the only 'ranter' here - give me a break 

Yeah, like I'm the only 'ranter' here - give me a break 

It amazes me how you always manage to respond to a comment without actually responding to the comment.

Really tho...Marshall isn't a washed up has been. If he was used properly he would easily be a 1000 yard rusher and money scoring inside the 5

ohhhh I was 'corrected' lol. Good one (use the waiters voice in 'The Shining' for that one). Yes you are correct - as Anthony Mulumba will be patrolling the Blue bomber dline any day now, won't he? Well, I guess he could. I do get a bit mixed up sometime. What I meant was - you draft a player (Muamba) and he plays well, so well he gets an NFL shot after his two year contract runs out (and before it was in his option year he could do that) well, if/when he fails..... unless his option year was still running - U F A . He can go anywhere. So we drafted Henoc first overall, guess what? He's a UFA if he comes back to the CFL - we don't have his rights. This is what I meant. Still a joke.

And how is that substantially different from an import player who goes back to the US of A, flunks out and then tries to return to the CFL? You pays yer money and you takes yer chances. If the player has been treated well, he will probably but not certainly return to his former team. No guarantees in this business- even if you hold the rights to a given player who goes to the NFL, by the time he is done there, he could be too beat up or past his prime to be of any value here.