Bombers Trade for Matt Nichols

Jpan85

How many reps. can Nichols get in before the weekend...IF Brohm is starting we are in a deficit before we hit the field...Guess we can always hope that our D can win one for us against a poor rider offence as I don't  have any faith in 'hoppy' behind centre...Could be a disaster...As for the trade to get Nichols....wasn't super happy but at least he has some credibility in the league...AND for a CONDITIONAL seventh...esks. were in a generous mood.. 

Nichols scouting report from college:

Bio: Four-year starter awarded All-Conference honors since his sophomore season and named as an All-American last year. Senior totals included 65.1%/3830/33/6 when he was named Big Sky Offensive Player of the Year. Junior totals included 61%/3293/21/14 after 63.6%/3744/33/9 as a sophomore when he was initially named as the conference

Positive: Productive college passer with the skills necessary to back up at the next level. Patient in the pocket, goes through receiver progressions, and displays the ability to get outside of tackle and make the throw on the move. Sells ball fakes, senses the rush and goes through receiver progressions. Displays a solid arm in the short and intermediate field.

Negative: Not an elusive quarterback who avoids defenders. Makes some poor decisions under the rush. Must improve his overall pass placement and accuracy. Really cannot drive the ball downfield.
Analysis: Nichols was a top small-school quarterback who benefited from a wide open system that lined up three and four receivers with regularity. He offers adequate size and could be useful as a backup in a timing offense that throws a lot of underneath patterns.

I thought a few years back that Nichols was a pretty effective QB.  He's had 2 consecutive season ending injuries the last couple years, and this is the first in a while he's managed to stay healthy.   Before the big injuries, I thought he showed real promise.  If he can stay upright, I can see him doing just fine here.  And the fact that I'll get to frame the article about Brohm being released (sadly going to be a high point in this season) makes this all the better!

I don't like Nichols, but he's an upgrade over Brohm/Marve and we didn't have to pay much to get him (I suspect he was about to get released by the Esks anyway). Good to see we're not sitting around doing nothing.

I think what this does, is gives us the opportunity to release Brohm and allow Marve to develop if he is in our future plans

I would seriously consider starting Dom Davis over Brohm and I hope the coaching staff does too.  At the very least he is a total unknown to the opposition.

Davis gives us more of a chance to win than Brohm. I can confidently say that even though I've never seen him play. Glenn January at QB gives us a better chance to win than Brohm.

In my lifetime of watching football, I have never seen a QB with such accuracy problems as Brohm stick around so long. Even Lefors, maybe the most inaccurate QB of all time in Winnipeg, was more accurate than Brohm.