Bombers Trade for Matt Nichols

Jpan85

I hope that we have a better backup QB than Matt Nichols next season.

We can do worse.  We are likely doing worse right now with Brohm/Marve.  Who would you propose we get?  Bearing in mind that finding someone who's good enough to be a quality backup but not good enough to be a starter is a tricky thing to do.

I'm no Glenn fan but he's significantly better than Nichols. I'll take Crompton if he becomes available too.

Of all the possible pickups, Gale looks to be the best. He knows, or should know, the CFL and has more CFL experience than Brohm, Marve, And Dominic combined. Then again, he could be another promising bust.

Gale's been in the CFL for 3 seasons and has 21 pass attempts. He was the short yardage QB in 2014 but otherwise has not had regular reps at QB. Marve alone has more on-field experience than Gale.

Of all the possible pickups, Gale looks to be the best. He knows, or should know, the CFL and has more CFL experience than Brohm, Marve, And Dominic combined. Then again, he could be another promising bust.

Gale's been in the CFL for 3 seasons and has 21 pass attempts. He was the short yardage QB in 2014 but otherwise has not had regular reps at QB. Marve alone has more on-field experience than Gale.

In his three years, Gale has to have been in film sessions, watched games, and even run scout teams, so I stand by my statement about CFL experience.

In his three years, Gale has to have been in film sessions, watched games, and even run scout teams, so I stand by my statement about CFL experience.

And Brohm in his three seasons and Marve in his two seasons have done that as well as start a couple of games. Davis is the only one who has less experience than Gale.

Crompton over Nichols? He can't even beat out marsh..

And Glenn? Are you serious?? His time is long over AND he wouldn't come cheap..

He did both last season and this season? Marsh was the 3rd stringer behind Lefevour and Crompton.

Whoops. Didnt realize that crompton was hurt.. Doubtful he goes anywhere if he heals up 100% even with kato playing half decently if popp made the decision to make him #1.

If MOS liked him when he was in TO then we might be seeing him sooner than later, they released Russell already...

If MOS liked him when he was in TO then we might be seeing him sooner than later, they released Russell already...

If MOS liked him that is reason NOT to bring him here.

#3 gets zero reps in practice. Unless we have another injury, I'm good with the QBs we have in terms of retreads. I absolutely want out scouting staff out there looking for next year's third string/development guy, but I'm hopeful Nichols can get us through the rest of this season without needing to see the trio of cuts ever again.

#3 gets zero reps in practice. Unless we have another injury, I'm good with the QBs we have in terms of retreads. I absolutely want out scouting staff out there looking for next year's third string/development guy, but I'm hopeful Nichols can get us through the rest of this season without needing to see the trio of cuts ever again.

If Nichols can elevate himself to being an "adequate" replacement for Willy, I can see him remaining on the Bombers roster for a number of year.  Much like Drew Tate in Cgy. not necessarily a #1 QB but a decent replacement in emergencies.

If Nichols can elevate himself to being an "adequate" replacement for Willy, I can see him remaining on the Bombers roster for a number of year.  Much like Drew Tate in Cgy. not a #1 QB but a decent replacement in emergencies.

Tate is a good comparison. A guy who seems to have gotten injured during every attempt at being a starter, but has settled into an effective role as a back up.

I'd take Drew Tate on my team any day.   I think a change of scenery would do him good.  Right now in Calgary he's Bo Levi's maid of honour.  I believe if he can get out from under this stigma.  He would return to the level he was at 2 - 3 years ago.  

The only thing that worries me is the strength of his shoulder.  Is it completely healed or does it continue to hamper his game.   

Honestly, Nichols is an adequate player who was 5-2 this season with the ESKS... Honestly, I'd be fine moving forward with Willy,Nichols, (insert developmental QB here) 

I think a change of scenery will also help Nichols out, it was pretty obvious that regardless of what he did in Edmonton, that he just was never gonna be given a fair chance, the guy didn't suck, he was pretty decent, decent for a back up at least... Cuz reality is Willy is the man moving forward..

Honestly, i think you could find a lot of teams around the league who wouldn't mind have a  1 2 of Willy,Nichols. That's pretty decent actually...