Around the CFL Regular Season Discussion

Lot's of interesting tidbits from Penton from around the CFL.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/07/28/cfl-blitz-early-attendance-woes-should-ring-alarm-bells

Formatting is bad but here are some excerpts.

CFL coaches and managers give their anonymous thoughts on what they're talking about behind closed doors:

Want to protect quarterbacks? Change the ratio ...

What's wrong with Saskatchewan's defence? Bad players. Hamilton should have scored 40 on them. We play the Riders next month, and scoring on them will be like stealing candy. I wouldn't want more than two guys they are starting on defence ...

Matt Dunigan understands how the game is played. Quarterbacks have a feel for the game. They see it different than guys like me who didn't play that position. He's TSN's best guy ...

I don't think either of the Grey Cup teams (Calgary and Hamilton) are playing that good. Right now, Edmonton is the best team in our league ...

As coaches we all think too many penalties hurt the game. But it's bull(bleep) what Toronto gets away with. After half their catches they spin the ball. They should be flagged for delay of game 10 times a game, but the refs let them get away with it week after week ...

Winnipeg is easy to defend because they don't have enough speed. Their team speed on offence is like it was back when I played ...

We were looking at film of the Eskimos. (Shakir) Bell may be better than the little guy that got hurt (John White.) When I heard Chris Jones found him, I wasn't surprised. Nobody outworks that guy ...

I'm starting to worry a little about the possibility of an Eastern crossover. We (in the West) might not have three teams with nine wins ...

We are scrambling to find Canadians in July. We are starting Canadians who aren't good enough, but there's nobody left. A couple of our backups shouldn't even be playing pro football. With three months left, all of us will have more Canadian injuries. The ratio is killing the quality of our game, not the rules. I can't coach a good product when we have too many bad football players on our 44 man roster. What the hell are we going to do in September and October? I'm hearing the same thing from other coaches. The other commissioner (Mark Cohon) screwed us big time when he didn't fight to change the ratio when Ottawa came back ...

The biggest reason why the RedBlacks have already won more games than last year is because they've been able to make plays at crucial times. That wasn't the case last year ...

The Bombers should go with Brian Brohm if (Drew) Willy can't go. Everyone needs to trust that (Mike) O'Shea knows what he's doing ...

The Argos are a solid team and as good as they look. Forget Edmonton. They are the best team in the league right now ...

If I was in charge of the Riders I would be more aggressive. Give the players back some confidence by letting them play and not worry so much ... The three main reasons I hear why the Stampeders aren't playing up to par are complacency, injuries or they're just not that good. The reason why they don't look good right now is complacency ...

Who's the best referee in the league? Whichever crew is on the bye week ...

Going with Matt Nichols is the right move for the Eskimos. You gotta go with the more experienced guy ...

If I had to pick one left tackle to go with, (Josh) Bourke still has to be the guy. He playing well, and he's Canadian. That gives him a big edge over any American ...

Any Canadians that can contribute are on a roster or a practice roster. The free agent list is quite short in season, as it was last year. Those who bring up changing the ratio are not realists and simply haven't figured out you need to draft and develop Canadians to adapt and adjust to your ratio issues ...

I have narrowed my most underrated CFL player list to three: Deon Lacey, Simoni Lawrence or Deron Mayo ...

The Argos know how to win close games, so until I see the Ticats do the same I have to give the Argos the edge on Monday night.

I think it's fun to guess who says what. Is it wrong of me to just assume that any comments with the swearing in them come from Kent Austin? 

Mr Dee is right about the referee on the Willy hit. He needs to step up to keep his eyes on his main responsibility which is the QB when he has the ball until he's completed his throwing motion or crossed the line of scrimmage.

I am sure that Kim Murphy got called out for that missed call and his poor positioning on that play by the supervisor in Edmonton.

Ottawa REDBLACKS         ✔ @REDBLACKS

The #REDBLACKS have released K Delbert Alvarado and signed K Chris Milo. #RNation #CFL

Is this a ratio move? Milo is a crappy kicker.

Ratio move, I bet. Milo is Canadian I believe. He punts & kicks freeing up a roster spot for Americans.

Ottawa REDBLACKS ✔ @REDBLACKS

The #REDBLACKS have released K Delbert Alvarado and signed K Chris Milo. #RNation #CFL

Is this a ratio move? Milo is a crappy kicker.

Ratio move, I bet. Milo is Canadian I believe. He punts & kicks freeing up a roster spot for Americans.

Milo won't be punting - Ottawa has a national punter (Alix). Good thing because Milo is a crappier punter than he is kicker.

I'm definitely a Jays fan, but hopefully they'll be able to work something out. I know Rogers is evil and tried to kill the whole CFL, but I love baseball and am a Jays fan and am excited for a Canadian MLB post season run.... Fwiw.

me too man. me too.. go jays go!

If the Expos come back & they're not owned by Rogers I'll be happy to cheer for them. But to me, Rogers is doing everything they can to kill the Argos & the CFL so that company & by extension, the Blue Jays are dead to me.

And Rogers is dead to customer service.