Around the CFL Regular Season Discussion

@DarrinBauming: I'm told the #Bombers have not signed @LJ38Bison to a contract, but they have shown interest.

I am hearing that Tom Brady is in this same category with the Bombers right now too.

@DarrinBauming: I'm told the #Bombers have not signed @LJ38Bison to a contract, but they have shown interest.

I am hearing that Tom Brady is in this same category with the Bombers right now too.

I prefer Russell Wilson due to his mobility.

heard he wants 24 million a year. can we afford that? I say YES!

serisouly  I'm tired of sask getting all the NDSU players.  I hope this guy is good and we get him.

From the CFL website:

TORONTO -- The Canadian Football League announced today:

Hamilton Tiger-Cat Brandon Banks was fined for a late hit against Saskatchewan Roughrider Tyree Hollins.

B.C. Lion Jason Foster was fined for a low hit from behind on Toronto Argonaut Greg Jones. 

Edmonton Eskimo Eddie Steele was fined for a low hit on Winnipeg Blue Bomber Drew Willy.

Ottawa REDBLACK Jacques Washington was fined for hitting Calgary Stampeder Jeff Fuller while leading with his head.

As per league policy, the amount of the player fines was not disclosed.

Sounds like CJOB has fired Jim Toth. Hate to see anyone lose their job, but based on my observations of his reporting at Bomber practices, I'm not surprised.

He wasn't fired. Corus laid off a number of people this week at CJOB. There's a thread about it in the general forum.

From the CFL website:

Hamilton Tiger-Cat Brandon Banks was fined for a late hit against Saskatchewan Roughrider Tyree Hollins.

B.C. Lion Jason Foster was fined for a low hit from behind on Toronto Argonaut Greg Jones. 

Edmonton Eskimo Eddie Steele was fined for a low hit on Winnipeg Blue Bomber Drew Willy.

Ottawa REDBLACK Jacques Washington was fined for hitting Calgary Stampeder Jeff Fuller while leading with his head.

Of course, yet ANOTHER instance .. ANOTHER hit against our QB that went unflagged during the normal course of the game but has earned punishment after the fact .. sometimes I wonder if certain CFL referees simply have their heads up their asses when they call a Bomber game.

From the CFL website:

Of course, yet ANOTHER instance .. ANOTHER hit against our QB that went unflagged during the normal course of the game but has earned punishment after the fact .. sometimes I wonder if certain CFL referees simply have their heads up their asses when they call a Bomber game.

What did you think of the hit Glenn took before half time? Right under the chin with a helmet, was really wondering why that wasn't a call.  The worst call/ non-call in the Bomber game IMO was the first interception by Brohm. One edm defending shielded the receiver away from the ball and the other caught it. If that isn't pass interference I don't know what is. Pathetic that the Esks get those calls. Later on O'Shea had to challenge to get the other interference call on another int by the Esks. Jones gets those calls the same way Buono and Mathews used to because they stand there and chew on the refs the whole game on the sidelines so the refs give them the calls. Quiet coaches like O"shea and Chamblin aren't getting the close calls because the refs know they won't biatch about it. IMHO

From the CFL website:

What did you think of the hit Glenn took before half time? Right under the chin with a helmet, was really wondering why that wasn't a call.  The worst call/ non-call in the Bomber game IMO was the first interception by Brohm. One edm defending shielded the receiver away from the ball and the other caught it. If that isn't pass interference I don't know what is. Pathetic that the Esks get those calls. Later on O'Shea had to challenge to get the other interference call on another int by the Esks. Jones gets those calls the same way Buono and Mathews used to because they stand there and chew on the refs the whole game on the sidelines so the refs give them the calls. Quiet coaches like O"shea and Chamblin aren't getting the close calls because the refs know they won't biatch about it. IMHO

First of all, I don't like seeing QBs across this league taking illegal shots.  Period.  End of story.   Secondly, this isn't the first instance Willy has been hit illegally and a referee hasn't made a call on the field .. it's happened twice so far this year and a number of times last year as well .. all for the league to come in after the fact and say, "Sorry Bombers, we missed that."

Lastly, quiet has nothing to do with it .. it's a simple matter of competence.

From the CFL website:

First of all, I don't like seeing QBs across this league taking illegal shots.  Period.  End of story.   Secondly, this isn't the first instance Willy has been hit illegally and a referee hasn't made a call on the field .. it's happened twice so far this year and a number of times last year as well .. all for the league to come in after the fact and say, "Sorry Bombers, we missed that."

Here is a picture of Willy being hit. One arrow points to Willy and the other to the position of the official who is responsible for the making that call was (he's not in the picture but is correctly positioned). Please tell me how he was supposed to see that low hit with all the bodies between him and Willy.

Willy.jpg

Officials are allowed to move, and there is more than one official on the field. The player in question has the ball...somebody should have eyes on him. Furthermore...it's the QB and that's a position the league has said must be protected.

Somebody f'd up, and a player got fined, and our QB got dinged...again.

Seems to happen to our QB...no flags..more often than it should.

From the CFL website:

Here is a picture of Willy being hit. One arrow points to Willy and the other to the position of the official who is responsible for the making that call was (he's not in the picture but is correctly positioned). Please tell me how he was supposed to see that low hit with all the bodies between him and Willy.

Willy.jpg

If an official isn't capable of routinely observing what's going on in a collapsing pocket and performing (what it his primary function on passing plays) then he has no business being on the field. 

From the CFL website:

If an official isn't capable of routinely observing what's going on in a collapsing pocket and performing (what it his primary function on passing plays) then he has no business being on the field. 

Officials don't come equipped with x-ray vision. If you think you could see that hit clearly in real time with all those bodies there then I would suggest you go to Football Manitoba and sign up to be an official. 

Perhaps, not a popular decision but on hits like the one to Willy, perhaps the command center should be able to buzz the refs on the field and tell them it was a low hit, i mean if they are serious about protecting the QB. 

I don't get this standing up for the refs thing, I'd get it if it was the first time this has happened and there was no flag on the play but this is the second time this season it's happened with Willy and NO flags. 

Why not allow the command center to notify the refs that it was an illegal hit. Cuz that's what it was, a low hit, it's illegal. Simple as that. 

Are you related to the refs there Jacquie? Must be cuz you seem to go out of your way to defend them. 

I mean like i said, i'd get it if there wasn't a way for the refs to see it.. but i mean what the hell is the command center doing then? Shouldn't they have seen it? and if they did, why can't they let the refs on the field know it was a penalty? Is that how the CFL is going to go eventually, no refs on the field anymore? just in a booth watching the game on a tv screen cuz i'm starting to think that might not be a bad idea.. Miss one head shot to Willy, ok i'll let it slide, but this is the 2nd time now they have missed an obvious call. 

Officials are allowed to move, and there is more than one official on the field. The player in question has the ball...somebody should have eyes on him. Furthermore...it's the QB and that's a position the league has said must be protected.

Somebody f'd up, and a player got fined, and our QB got dinged...again.

Seems to happen to our QB...no flags..more often than it should.

The referee lined up well behind the LOS to the right of the QB is responsible for watching the QB. The other officials have their own responsibilities and areas to watch. It's a really big field and being human they can't see everything especially when there are 5 players immediately surrounding the QB and another 4 a few feet away who are all blocking his view.  

Are you related to the refs there Jacquie? Must be cuz you seem to go out of your way to defend them. 

Why is it people have to ask if you're a relative if you ever defend a player/GM/official/the League. SMH To answer the question, no I'm not and I don't go out of my way to defend the officials. You can bet I'm yelling at the TV when I think the officials or command centre missed something. I also recognize that the officials are human beings who make mistakes but much more often than not they make the right call. They don't have the benefit of super slow motion replay from multiple angles when they are on the field. I think TSN showed replays from 2 or 3 different angles before they found one that clearly showed it was a low hit. On any given play you could show 10 people a clip and you'll get 10 different opinions on what happened. People complain when the officials make a call and then complain when they don't make one. Half the time the people complaining don't even know the rules (not saying that about people here). 

As I said in my other post, if you think you can do better then here's a link for you to sign up: http://cflofficials.ca/howtobecomeacflofficial.asp

Lot's of interesting tidbits from Penton from around the CFL.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/07/28/cfl-blitz-early-attendance-woes-should-ring-alarm-bells

Formatting is bad but here are some excerpts.

CFL coaches and managers give their anonymous thoughts on what they're talking about behind closed doors:

Want to protect quarterbacks? Change the ratio ...

What's wrong with Saskatchewan's defence? Bad players. Hamilton should have scored 40 on them. We play the Riders next month, and scoring on them will be like stealing candy. I wouldn't want more than two guys they are starting on defence ...

Matt Dunigan understands how the game is played. Quarterbacks have a feel for the game. They see it different than guys like me who didn't play that position. He's TSN's best guy ...

I don't think either of the Grey Cup teams (Calgary and Hamilton) are playing that good. Right now, Edmonton is the best team in our league ...

As coaches we all think too many penalties hurt the game. But it's bull(bleep) what Toronto gets away with. After half their catches they spin the ball. They should be flagged for delay of game 10 times a game, but the refs let them get away with it week after week ...

Winnipeg is easy to defend because they don't have enough speed. Their team speed on offence is like it was back when I played ...

We were looking at film of the Eskimos. (Shakir) Bell may be better than the little guy that got hurt (John White.) When I heard Chris Jones found him, I wasn't surprised. Nobody outworks that guy ...

I'm starting to worry a little about the possibility of an Eastern crossover. We (in the West) might not have three teams with nine wins ...

We are scrambling to find Canadians in July. We are starting Canadians who aren't good enough, but there's nobody left. A couple of our backups shouldn't even be playing pro football. With three months left, all of us will have more Canadian injuries. The ratio is killing the quality of our game, not the rules. I can't coach a good product when we have too many bad football players on our 44 man roster. What the hell are we going to do in September and October? I'm hearing the same thing from other coaches. The other commissioner (Mark Cohon) screwed us big time when he didn't fight to change the ratio when Ottawa came back ...

The biggest reason why the RedBlacks have already won more games than last year is because they've been able to make plays at crucial times. That wasn't the case last year ...

The Bombers should go with Brian Brohm if (Drew) Willy can't go. Everyone needs to trust that (Mike) O'Shea knows what he's doing ...

The Argos are a solid team and as good as they look. Forget Edmonton. They are the best team in the league right now ...

If I was in charge of the Riders I would be more aggressive. Give the players back some confidence by letting them play and not worry so much ... The three main reasons I hear why the Stampeders aren't playing up to par are complacency, injuries or they're just not that good. The reason why they don't look good right now is complacency ...

Who's the best referee in the league? Whichever crew is on the bye week ...

Going with Matt Nichols is the right move for the Eskimos. You gotta go with the more experienced guy ...

If I had to pick one left tackle to go with, (Josh) Bourke still has to be the guy. He playing well, and he's Canadian. That gives him a big edge over any American ...

Any Canadians that can contribute are on a roster or a practice roster. The free agent list is quite short in season, as it was last year. Those who bring up changing the ratio are not realists and simply haven't figured out you need to draft and develop Canadians to adapt and adjust to your ratio issues ...

I have narrowed my most underrated CFL player list to three: Deon Lacey, Simoni Lawrence or Deron Mayo ...

The Argos know how to win close games, so until I see the Ticats do the same I have to give the Argos the edge on Monday night.