Who gets the axe by Monday?

Mike

Penton speculating that Marve could be cut in favour of Portis, since Portis isn't that far behind Marve, and he's committed to Bombers beyond this season.

That would be a mistake cause Portis stinks.
I heard Coorsman has a better arm than that guy...

Penton speculating that Marve could be cut in favour of Portis, since Portis isn't that far behind Marve, and he's committed to Bombers beyond this season.

Six of one, half-dozen of the other.  Both aren't good at sneaking either, their likely role this season, but lethal on the zone reads and option plays.  I really would like to see a guy who looks like he has potential to be a CFL QB in town if we stick with 4 QB's.  We don't need two guys like Marve and Portis around.  Willy is the starter, Brohm is the backup but is pushing 30, the other two can't pass to save their lives.  Some work to be done at QB IMO.

Stinks as a 3rd Stringer though? I don't think so. Anyone else we bring in as the #3 wouldn't know the playbook or personnel as well as Portis.

So what's wrong with keeping all 4 qbs around this year and in the event that Marve does go in the offseason you still have Portis around for the following season while keeping your 3 best qbs this year. Injuries happen in the CFL, we've gone 3 qbs deep on the depth chart a lot in the last few years.
The thinking is that they'd want to develop Portis more this year since you know he'll be around next year, meaning he'd be 3rd QB. Would Marve accept a reduced role this year?

They'd both be doing their developing in practise more than anything, I don't see any issues. I think people are really just trying to find something to worry about with the qb position. Writing off guys as gone before the opening kick off in game 1, for **** sakes guys let's settle down a little. 

Stinks as a 3rd Stringer though? I don't think so. Anyone else we bring in as the #3 wouldn't know the playbook or personnel as well as Portis.
So what's wrong with keeping all 4 qbs around this year and in the event that Marve does go in the offseason you still have Portis around for the following season while keeping your 3 best qbs this year. Injuries happen in the CFL, we've gone 3 qbs deep on the depth chart a lot in the last few years.
The thinking is that they'd want to develop Portis more this year since you know he'll be around next year, meaning he'd be 3rd QB. Would Marve accept a reduced role this year?

They'd both be doing their developing in practise more than anything, I don't see any issues. I think people are really just trying to find something to worry about with the qb position. Writing off guys as gone before the opening kick off in game 1, for **** sakes guys let's settle down a little.
There's a lot more development going on when a QB gets to play in actual games.

Ah, but there is legitimate concern in our QB situation.

Willy, thank goodness, is here and the undisputed #1.

IMO, Brohm is here because he is a good option at # 2, but that is all he'll be.

We need to develop the next backup QB beginning this year. That is why we see Portis and Marve. That is why we might see only one of them after training camp.

Depends how strongly they feel about Yantz at #4. If they're committing to Yantz, then Portis or Marve may go.

Maybe that's why Yantz didn't make the trip. The battle is between Portis and NFL dreamer..Marve.

In any scenario, the Bombers have got to keep looking at QB talent, and hopefully have been doing so already.

I'm not convinced the next developmental QB is here.

And since 1/2 is Willy/Brohm neither one of Marve or Portis is likely to get a lot of playing time anyway so my point still stands. 

Six of one, half-dozen of the other.  Both aren't good at sneaking either, their likely role this season, but lethal on the zone reads and option plays.  I really would like to see a guy who looks like he has potential to be a CFL QB in town if we stick with 4 QB's.  We don't need two guys like Marve and Portis around.  Willy is the starter, Brohm is the backup but is pushing 30, the other two can't pass to save their lives.  Some work to be done at QB IMO.

Tons of work to be done at QB.  Meanwhile, we hold our collective breaths and hope Willy stays upright.

Marve has shown a lot more than Portis imo. Marve always seems to move the ball and put up points. Portis has shown what exactly?

That his name rhymes with tortoise, and he does not appear to have herpes as he was able to practice and play in yesterday's game. Unfortunately Richards can not same the same and current thoughts are that he has full blown syphilis.

And since 1/2 is Willy/Brohm neither one of Marve or Portis is likely to get a lot of playing time anyway so my point still stands.
I was talking about the 3rd down and goal line work which is Marve's role and likely Portis's role if he won the 3rd QB spot.

Shhhhh.

This is the time of year we convince ourselves we have an embarrassment of riches at QB and are the envy of all other teams.

Meanwhile, what are the Bombers going to do with T Gibson? Anyone else get the impression he doesn't want to be here?

Not the impression I got from the couple practices I watched... he was very vocal and seemed to be constantly encouraging guys... sure seemed like he enjoyed being part of this team... 

Meanwhile, what are the Bombers going to do with T Gibson? Anyone else get the impression he doesn't want to be here?

Not the impression I got from the couple practices I watched... he was very vocal and seemed to be constantly encouraging guys... sure seemed like he enjoyed being part of this team... 

OK great. Thanks for that. It'll be good to finally see him play on the 19th.

I could be getting him mixed up with someone else, but I thought someone said he was off somewhere for the birth of his kid.

And that's got to be a special kind of hell - wanting to be there to enjoy that rare experience but knowing that you're competing for a job and taking that time off might ultimately open the door for someone else to win the employment you're seeking to support that child.

I could be getting him mixed up with someone else, but I thought someone said he was off somewhere for the birth of his kid.

And that's got to be a special kind of hell - wanting to be there to enjoy that rare experience but knowing that you're competing for a job and taking that time off might ultimately open the door for someone else to win the employment you're seeking to support that child.

Pretty sure someone said it was Gibson during the game chat.