Who gets the axe by Monday?

Mike

Robert Marve just told me he wants to make it clear he wants to remain in the CFL and in Winnipeg. He doesn't have NFL aspirations next year

Damage control, perhaps?

More likely "can you believe what the stupid people on the internet are saying? Let's put that to rest"

Ed Tait         @WFPEdTait

Interesting. Was apparently off an extension in Dec and turned it down. Club told by his agent he wanted to try NFL.

Even more likely "can you believe what my stupid agent let slip before the season while I still have a year left on my contract? Better do some damage control and try to put this to rest before cuts come".

Either Marve wants out and his agent is passing on that truth to the club, the agent spoke out of turn without Marve's knowledge, or Marve's agent tried to use the NFL ploy to leverage a bigger number from the Bombers, who didn't bite. Whatever the circumstance, the story that has gotten out is that Marve's plan for now is to bolt at year's end. If true, then the club has to ask itself if it is going to use a third string QB roster spot on a non-project who won't be at camp next year even if he fails in the NFL (since their camp won't go until late summer, he is not here in 2016 regardless). If false, then this is definitely damage control by Marve since he hasn't been handed the back-up spot that some here believe is (and maybe he expected should be) his and not Brohm's. Good digging M.O.A.B.

If that's all there is to this, this is a pretty uninspired story. A 3rd stringer wants a chance for more playing time? Scandalous...

Well it is the reason we kicked Brink, Elliott and Goltz to the curb.

Right?

Yes yes....it had nothing to do with their talent level

Why on earth would he extend his contract as a third stringer before he has a chance to move up the depth chart or not?

Because he may get cut simply because Portis is committed.

I don't blame Marve but from the clubs point of view why invest in a guy if he's going to be gone at the end of the year.

What if he shows well and then bolts to BC at next year? The club would of wasted a season developing a guy for another club.

when was the last time a football team made roster decisions at qb based on who has a contract going past this season or not? Honestly the **** some of you people worry about is enough to make me want to slam my head through a wall. 

Marve is a better qb than Portis and if they decide to keep Portis just because he's got a longer contract then fire Kyle Walters right this instant. 

when was the last time a football team made roster decisions at qb based on who has a contract going past this season or not? Honestly the **** some of you people worry about is enough to make me want to slam my head through a wall.

Marve is a better qb than Portis and if they decide to keep Portis just because he's got a longer contract then fire Kyle Walters right this instant.

There's different criteria for a 3rd stringer/developmental QB than a starting QB. I agree with previous posters who say that Portis may have the upper hand on the 3rd spot because he's committed to the Bombers.

Why develop a guy, who's in a developmental roster spot, who will be gone after this season?

You keep the best players you can and Marve's better than Portus by a long shot right now.  We're getting to pay him based on his rookie contract so he won't be that expensive this year.  He's betting he's worth more next year either to us or to another team.  Cutting him now wouldn't make the team any better this year, in fact it would be worse.

Lol what people said was if Marve and Port is are seen by the coaching staff as being the same then Marve would get the boot from the contract.

I think you have smacked your self a wee to many times.

There's different criteria for a 3rd stringer/developmental QB than a starting QB. I agree with previous posters who say that Portis may have the upper hand on the 3rd spot because he's committed to the Bombers.

Why develop a guy, who's in a developmental roster spot, who will be gone after this season?

Because Marve can contribute to our offence right now. He is not just a developmental player.

Can't believe Marve is being discussed in the "Potential cuts" thread. There's no chance the guy gets the axe, absolutely none... Especially not by Monday.

I'm thinking he'd better sign an extension with the Bombers pretty soon then. I'd say he's in real danger of being cut.

Can't believe Marve is being discussed in the "Potential cuts" thread. There's no chance the guy gets the axe, absolutely none... Especially not by Monday.

I'm thinking he'd better sign an extension with the Bombers pretty soon then. I'd say he's in real danger of being cut.

HAH I would bet 10 million dollars on him not being cut. He's shown the most potential out of all three backup QBs and has stated that he'd like to remain in Winnipeg. It would be downright stupid to cut the guy.

We're not going to cut Mavre.  We can keep all 4 QBs.  Most teams keep more than 3 around in some capacity, whether it is on the reserve or injured lists.

Agreed.  O'Shea already stated in an interview that he wants to keep all 4 QB's.  I think he even wants to keep Yantz around as well.

HAH I would bet 10 million dollars on him not being cut. He's shown the most potential out of all three backup QBs and has stated that he'd like to remain in Winnipeg. It would be downright stupid to cut the guy.

Do you have 10 million dollars?

On the Internet I do

We're not going to cut Mavre. We can keep all 4 QBs. Most teams keep more than 3 around in some capacity, whether it is on the reserve or injured lists.

Yantz isn't going anywhere.

What are basing that opinion on?  Yantz wasn't even taken to the first preseason game when he was most likely to get some reps.  I doubt we see him in the 2nd preseason game either.  PR because he's a Canuck?

Marve has as much chance of being cut as the Patriots do of playing by the rules! Only real question is whether he gets the back-up spot immediately or has to wait until Brohm runs out of time to show he's capable. Teams around the league would be standing in line for Marve if the Bombers ever decided to trade him, never mind cut him. :rolleyes:

We're not going to cut Mavre. We can keep all 4 QBs. Most teams keep more than 3 around in some capacity, whether it is on the reserve or injured lists.

Yantz isn't going anywhere.

What are basing that opinion on?  Yantz wasn't even taken to the first preseason game when he was most likely to get some reps.  I doubt we see him in the 2nd preseason game either.  PR because he's a Canuck?

Contract status obviously!