Who gets the axe by Monday?

Mike

Marve has as much chance of being cut as the Patriots do of getting caught not playing by the rules! Only real question is whether he gets the back-up spot immediately or has to wait until Brohm runs out of time to show he's capable. Teams around the league would be standing in line for Marve if the Bombers ever decided to trade him, never mind cut him. :rolleyes:

Fixed it for you.

I'm now wondering if Pontbriand survives this T.C., as I've not heard his name mentioned even once.  Making room for the new draft picks and moving on from players that have had a few years to develop but have not progressed seems to be a workable plan.

Not hearing the name of a FB in TC reports is nothing unusual though. I think if Fitzgerald would have improved his long-snapping he would have had a chance at making the team but he struggled with that again during the game in Toronto.

I fear that Marcel sees Brohm as a Willy clone that can fill in and run the same style offence if Willy goes down.  My preference would be to have a QB with a complete different skill set so that he can be used when necessary to kick start the offence when it sputters.  If opposing teams can shut down Willy there's not much hope that Brohm can do any better running the same plays.  

I don't think O'Shea will change his M.O. from last season, so I expect that he will continue to trot out Willy until Willy no can go.  Even if they encounter a skid I think he will continue to by-pass opportunities to salvage victories along the way by ignoring the talent of his bullpen.  I hope I'm wrong.

I fear that Marcel sees Brohm as a Willy clone that can fill in and run the same style offence if Willy goes down.  My preference would be to have a QB with a complete different skill set so that he can be used when necessary to kick start the offence when it sputters.  If opposing teams can shut down Willy there's not much hope that Brohm can do any better running the same plays.  

I don't think O'Shea will change his M.O. from last season, so I expect that he will continue to trot out Willy until Willy no can go.  Even if they encounter a skid I think he will continue to by-pass opportunities to salvage victories along the way by ignoring the talent of his bullpen.  I hope I'm wrong.

In the game he started, before being injured, I thought Brohm was "better" than Willy at directing Winnipeg's offence, though I use that term loosely. He brought a tempo and urgency to the huddle break and set that Willy lacked all season long. He managed the clock better too. Mind you, Willy was pretty shellshocked by that point in the season and I am in no way saying Brohm is a "better" QB. Better/worse it's a bit misleading as all our QB have different strengths. Brohm also didn't waste time between plays and got rid of the ball quicker than Willy, seemingly made quicker reads. I expect that has been corrected and that there will be a lot more urgency in Willy's game this year. Interesting that Brohm was running the hurry-up in the Toronto game. We're going to see a lot more hurry-up from Willy this year, I predict. Quicker tempo and hurry-up - maybe even on most possessions.

Interesting that Willy has requested Marcel direct the offence from field level this year instead of the box.  I would think that this is a positive step and that Willy will contribute more to the play calling this year instead of just following marching orders from above. (religious connotations intended)

http://www.bluebombers.com/video/index/id/111079

This speculation about Marve and the NFL is crazy.

In that Weicek article, much of the extreme terms were not quotes from Marve, but allusions from Weicek. Essentially, he says he wants to play, and if he's still #3 after this year, he may have to look elsewhere to do so. He would love to stay in Winnipeg, but doesn't want to hold the clipboard behind 2 guys for a 3rd straight year. Understandable for anyone who believes they've got the goods.

In the recent quote, he flat-out denies the NFL rumours and says he loves Winnipeg. He basically says the same thing as before -- that he'd love to find a way for him to stay here for a long time. Of course, that "way" would be him as a 2nd string or starter.

Do we honestly want to laud players who are happy being down on the depth chart and don't want to get better and contribute to the team in a meaningful way? Are people suggesting he be cut *this* year because he doesn't want to spend *next* year staying in the #3 QB position?

Continual, late night head shakings going on here. My God!

In that Weicek article, much of the extreme terms were not quotes from Marve, but allusions from Weicek. Essentially, he says he wants to play, and if he's still #3 after this year, he may have to look elsewhere to do so. He would love to stay in Winnipeg, but doesn't want to hold the clipboard behind 2 guys for a 3rd straight year. Understandable for anyone who believes they've got the goods.

In the recent quote, he flat-out denies the NFL rumours and says he loves Winnipeg. He basically says the same thing as before -- that he'd love to find a way for him to stay here for a long time. Of course, that "way" would be him as a 2nd string or starter.

Do we honestly want to laud players who are happy being down on the depth chart and don't want to get better and contribute to the team in a meaningful way? Are people suggesting he be cut *this* year because he doesn't want to spend *next* year staying in the #3 QB position?

Nothing wrong with Marve wanting more playing time and to be a starter.  But if he's the 3rd QB for the Bombers, which is essentially a developmental position, and you know he's gone next year, then from the Bombers perspective, why spend time developing him, when there's another guy ready to step into that role (Portis), who is committed longer term?  It's like in the workplace, why would a business spend effort and resources developing an employee they know will be leaving shortly or an employee who will be retiring in 6 months? 

I'm not saying Marve will be cut, but from the Bombers perspective, there is definitely a strong case to cut him, or try to trade him, especially when you have a guy ready to step into that developmental role who is committed longer-term.  Now if the Bombers plan on moving on from Brohm next year and they see Marve as the long-term backup, then that could change things from both sides perspectives. 

Nothing wrong with Marve wanting more playing time and to be a starter. But if he's the 3rd QB for the Bombers, which is essentially a developmental position, and you know he's gone next year, then from the Bombers perspective, why spend time developing him, when there's another guy ready to step into that role (Portis), who is committed longer term? It's like in the workplace, why would a business spend effort and resources developing an employee they know will be leaving shortly or an employee who will be retiring in 6 months?

I'm not saying Marve will be cut, but from the Bombers perspective, there is definitely a strong case to cut him, or try to trade him, especially when you have a guy ready to step into that developmental role who is committed longer-term. Now if the Bombers plan on moving on from Brohm next year and they see Marve as the long-term backup, then that could change things from both sides perspectives.

The biggest reason that we won't cut Marve from a developmental position is that the 3rd stringer is essentially not a developmental position. We've (as well as a number of other teams) have gone 3 QBs deep every season in recent memory. He is not here to develop, he is here to help this team when his number is called and he does a better job of that than what we've seen Portis is capable of.

Nothing wrong with Marve wanting more playing time and to be a starter. But if he's the 3rd QB for the Bombers, which is essentially a developmental position, and you know he's gone next year, then from the Bombers perspective, why spend time developing him, when there's another guy ready to step into that role (Portis), who is committed longer term? It's like in the workplace, why would a business spend effort and resources developing an employee they know will be leaving shortly or an employee who will be retiring in 6 months?

I'm not saying Marve will be cut, but from the Bombers perspective, there is definitely a strong case to cut him, or try to trade him, especially when you have a guy ready to step into that developmental role who is committed longer-term. Now if the Bombers plan on moving on from Brohm next year and they see Marve as the long-term backup, then that could change things from both sides perspectives.

The biggest reason that we won't cut Marve from a developmental position is that the 3rd stringer is essentially not a developmental position. We've (as well as a number of other teams) have gone 3 QBs deep every season in recent memory. He is not here to develop, he is here to help this team when his number is called and he does a better job of that than what we've seen Portis is capable of.

Even with how the Bombers have used Marve, I'd still consider it a developmental position, even though he gets in the game in short yardage situations.  Nothing suggesting that with some work, Portis couldn't do the same. You will recall the first half of last season Marve really struggled with the short yardage until he was "coached up".   

Suggesting Marve will be cut b/c he might not be here next year is one of the craziest things we've argued about recently... I guess it's still better than "which terrible QB might have a chance at leading us to a close game, Goltz or Hall" arguments...

Fitzgerald getting cut is not a huge surprise... we have at least 2 players who LS better and at least 2 or 3 guys who are better FBs... but of luck to him

Kirk Penton says Carl Fitzgerald has been released

Unfortunate for him.

On the bright side, the release of a player might finally bring this thread back from the ridiculous Marve won't be here this year because he might not be here next year angle.

What's that?  Oh.  Just started right back up again.  yay.

Why use a PR spot for a national or anyone who doesn't have the ability to develop into a player? If Yantz has shown athletically he can either play ST or another actual spot then fine but he ain't playing QB in this league.

Most quarterbacks do tend to be pretty mediocre athletes.

Here's the game winning touchdown catch by Yantz in the playoff game vs the Huskies last year.